The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Sea Buck

Use of Magnum Rifle Primers

I visited my local gun shop yesterday for some large rifle primers. They were sold out of every primer box in the house execpt large rifle magnum primers which I snapped up...the last box.I load for 30-06, 308, 243, and 30-30. How should I adjust my loads for the use of these. I usually load down any way...I just don't need all the blast from 308 and '06, but I like my 30-30 close to max, and my 243 to shoot flat. Or, just keep'em and trade off for some standards. On another note, the shop was pretty much sold out of semi-auto hand guns,popular calibers of ammo,(I bought the last brick of 22LR) powders, cases, dies,case lubes,And much more.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:54 AM   #2
plainsman456

They will work just load down 5-10% to start with,then adjust your load as you go.Good Luck
Old April 12, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3
kraigwy

I seldem use anything but Magnum primers in my rifles. With any mid range loading you'll be fine.

I found the magnum primers to be more consistant in rifles.

If you're worried about it, like mentioned reduce the load a tad and work your way up or down until you get the accuracy you desire.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 12, 2009, 06:27 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I generally drop back 2 full grains when switching to magnum primers in my '06 loads and bumping them back up 1/2 grain at a time while checking for primer signs indicating hinky pressures. H380 is about the only powder that I feel requires the use of a hot primer because of the grain size; I used to shoot a LOT of 22-250 and CCI 250s with that powder.