The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 8, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
mmbsr

Help & direction kindly required...

My wife is a world reknowned and classically trained Pastry Chef, so be nice to me & point me in the direction I seek; you will be rewarded with copus amounts of culinary delight when SHTF...
My name is Mike & I'm a noob to your site, though I have plundered through it regularly. What I am after is the links to threads that cover building an AR from the stripped lower on up. I recently picked up a new & completely naked lower for $75 & I want to start working on it. I am looking for the threads that point to best/strongest parts, configs, different ideas, et.,
This will become my one 'go-to' weapon that will go where I go, but usually stay bound up in the pick up truck.
I am sure this topic has been beat to death here.. so if you could point out some threads/links/experiences, I would appreciate it.
1) What do you think about building this for the 9mm right from the start? It will never be used to engage a target/POI/animal more than 100 meters away... does a 9mm, out of proper length of barrel, have anything left at that range? The ONLY reason I am considering that is because both of my pistols are 9mm & it would be great to stock just one caliber of ammo...
2) When I do the 5.56 thing, I favor the 62gr M855 stuff and 62gr HP's... is there any reason I cannot see max performance, yaw & fragementation out of a 1:9 twist, 18.75" fluted bull barrel with that ammo?
Thanks, Gentleman.... truffles & maple glazed/twice flavored Chocolate drizzled eclairs for each of you...
Old February 9, 2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Hog Buster

Ok, you asked, so for what it’s worth, here’s my opinion. Just like the rest that will follow it may not be worth an eclair, but here goes.

I’m not an AR fan boy, I’ve shot quite a few and they’re fun, but just not the gun for me. However, if I was going to build one it sure wouldn’t be in a pistol round. You could get better range out of one in .22LR than 9mm. While pistol rounds work fine in pistols they’re just not real good performers in rifles. Do yourself a favor and build it in a rifle round. I think you’ll be much happier in the end.

Last edited by Hog Buster; February 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 9, 2011, 12:40 AM   #3
mc223

This is the best I have seen today and is complete for the lower.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=12&f=2&t=75
Old February 9, 2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Jim243

Sorry, mmbsr, but we can assure you outside of shooting soda cans at 100 feet not yards a 9mm carbine is just a nice toy and not very practical. There are millions of parts for 5.56/223 ARs out there but I am not sure where you would find parts for a 9mm lower.

If it has to be a 9mm carbine, I would recommend the CX4 even though they are no longer made. Or a Kel-Tec Sub-2000.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/

It would be cheaper than building your own.

Jim
Old February 9, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
mmbsr

thanks...

thanks for the info...
no, certainly not set on 9mm, it was just a thought that I already knew the answer to, but wanted to hear from somebody else, too.
I'm gonna stick with the 5.56 and go from there.
Thanks for the insight and link to other info...

Tags
9mm , ar15 , ar15 lower receiver , lower build , stripped lower