The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 8, 2009, 12:32 AM   #1
cloud8a

Bent front sight on Hawken

The front blade on my Hawken appears to be bent. Should I try and bend it back myself? Should I have it replaced? If I were to do it myself what would be the best way to do it?

How severely would this affect accuracy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 060809002518.jpg (96.6 KB, 48 views)
Old June 8, 2009, 01:19 AM   #2
arcticap

Trying to bend it may be risky.
And it doesn't look to be too bad because only the top portion of it is in view when you look through the rear sight notch.
Plus your rear sight has some adjustability.
If it's not loose, you may end up loosening it if you try to bend it.
How does it look when you view it through the rear notch?
Why not get some more shooting experience with it first before you try to make adjustments to it.
If you alter it too much, you may end up needing to drift it.

Last edited by arcticap; June 9, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:38 AM   #3
mykeal

I agree with articap about shooting it before trying to straighten it out. It's a very minor bend and may have no affect on your shooting.

However, I do disagree a bit about the possibility of damage while straightening it out. It appears to be brass; if so, it should be fairly malleable and it should straighten out quite easily just using a pair of pliers. Just be gentle and go slowly, moving it a bit at a time.
Old June 8, 2009, 01:00 PM   #4
FrontierGander

you can easily use some pliers and bend that slowly. Wrap the sight in some cloth to avoid scratching.
Old June 8, 2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Pahoo

I believe I recognize this front sight. Check to see is the base is ferrous and the blade, non-ferrous? If so, then the blade is silver soldered to the base. Try to straighten it and if it breaks loose, you will have pull it and resolder it. As mentioned, it may not make a difference but it's like having a beautiful girl friend with a wart on her nose. She may be hot but you still see that wart.
Take care, good luck and please let us know how you made out !!

Be safe !!!
Old June 8, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6
FrontierGander

had me a girl friend like that. Wasnt on her nose but it was close enough. Just had to close your eyes and tell her t o keep her head turned to the other side
Old June 8, 2009, 11:59 PM   #7
cloud8a

Got a pair of needle nose and a cloth and ever so gently bent it straight. It was very soft and it isnt perfect but it is straighter than it was here is a pic.

Pahoo are you familiar with this kind of sight? I have been trying to find out any history about this gun. I have not had a whole lot of luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 060809235343.jpg (78.8 KB, 22 views)
Old June 9, 2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
Pahoo are you familiar with this kind of sight? I have been trying to find out any history about this gun. I have not had a whole lot of luck.
Kind of hard to tell from the picture but I have a set that came off an older CVA. CVA use to make some good sidelocks. By set I mean the rear as well as the front sight. I think the rear sight was a full buckhorn or half buckhorn. I also think that Dixie carries these. The blade is a typical patridge, isn't it. I think it's made of nickle or what they call German silver. Ths base is steel.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 9, 2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Hawg

A side view would be better. Go check out the sights at Dixie Gun Works and see if you can match it up. They have a large selection of sights.