The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2011, 01:42 PM   #1
mrgoodwrench76

Winchester 1200 malfunction?

12 gauge 2 3/4 chamber Mod. barrel. This gun is all stock and has had lots of rounds through it (10K ish) all by me, mostly target loads for shooting clay, well cleaned after every outing. I've noticed something occuring lately and wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Something maybe I just havn't noticed in the past. When I pump the action and chamber a round, the fore end is locked in place and will not pull rearword without depressing the release lever. When I fire the chambered round, if I do not keep forward pressure on the fore end, the action will blow back to the full open position and eject the empty casing. Is this normal? Should I have to maintain any forward pressure to keep the action shut?
Old February 19, 2011, 10:07 PM   #2
mrgoodwrench76

Anybody????

I hope my termanology is correct. Surely somebody knows??
Old February 19, 2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Edward429451

That is indeed the correct function for your shotgun. I tend to keep a slight rearward pressure on the forarm so when the shot breaks, the bolt & slide unlock for extraction & ejection which should always be done as soon as the shot breaks anyway.

Leaving the tube full but the hammer down on an empty chamber is the so called cruiser ready for a SG.