dctag

AAR Trident Concepts/Jeff Gonzales CC1 and SOMC1

AAR

Trident Concepts
http://www.tridentconcepts.com/index.asp

Jeff Gonzales
Combative Carbine 1
Shooting On the Move 1

This past weekend I had the opportunity for some training from Jeff Gonzales of Trident Concepts. Here is Jeff’s Bio http://www.tridentconcepts.com/index...%20Instructors . The class was held in the Salt Lake City area up Parleys canyon at the PMAA range. It was nice having the class in my backyard (actually 40 minute away). The weather was perfect all three days and the range was nice. In the class we had 2 Ogden, UT Police Officers that are on their departments SWAT team and the rest of us were civilians from varied backgrounds.

Training/Shooting

Day One

We had a safety brief and than Jeff went over equipment and how to make it more user friendly. He likes Aimpoints, doesn’t like EOtechs, Likes single and two point slings, and doesn’t like 3-point slings. He also doesn’t like Wolf.

We then zeroed our rifles at 50 yards. He likes the 50-yard zero the most and showed us the ballistic tables for everything from a 25 yard zero to a 300 yard zero. In case you are wondering the two most versatile zeroes are 50 and 100 yard. After that we shot a standards test with shooting from different distances, types of shots, reloads, etc.

Day 1 we covered positions and alternated them throughout the 3-days. We did our weapons manipulation drills over and over and over again. Very tiring but obviously really important to gunfighting. We did a lot of shooting from various distances and worked on stance, trigger, scanning, etc. We also did transition drills, weakside shooting, and strong-arm only.

We broke for dinner and then we did the night shoot. We shot with no flashlights or red dots on. We shot with only our red dot on and we shot with red dot and lights. In case you haven’t noticed LED lights while wonderful in some respects are not the end all be all of lights. Incandescent bulbs have a lot more throw and work better for a general purpose weapons light. We did a good amount of shooting and then called it a day. We were very tired but it was a really god day.

Day 2 we did a lot more manipulations as well as working a lot on pivots and turns. We talked about and worked on tactical priority, NSR, and shooting multiple targets. We shot several more drills and did a very healthy amount of shooting on day two. We finished the day with a standards test.

Day 3 was the shooting on the move class and it being a separate course as well as on Mothers Day we lost a lot of the class. For those of us who remained we had a great time. For the most part Jeff sees a lot of uses for shooting on the move inside of 35 yards and less and less of a use for it past those distances. We went over how to move while you shoot and went over several drills. We did box drills, we went front, back, sideways, diagonally, etc. We got quite a bit of shooting in and learned a lot. We finished the day with a standards test.

Guns, Ammo, and Equipment

Everyone had AR’s of varying manufacture. We had two Bushmaster M-4’s, a few regular Bushmasters, my Rock River, and a few guns that I didn’t catch the manufacturer. For ammo some of use were using American Eagle .223, some used XM193, and I think everyone else used Wolf ammo. A few of us had single point slings, a few had two point, and a couple had three point slings. A few of us were running EOtechs, two guys had Reflex sights and the rest had irons.

We had more than a couple bad gun malfunctions. One of the students had a bushmaster and the bolt broke in half. He was shooting Wolf. The same student also had a few stuck cases where he had to go back and get his full length cleaning rod to clear the gun. One of the M-4’s had a few blown primers and a gas ring problem. One of the blown primers somehow got inside of the bolt carrier and jammed up the bolt. Don’t shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber. We had one students EOtech fall off of his gun once (I think twice but I am not sure) showing one of the major complaints about the EOtech that the mounting sucks. We had a couple of other stuck cases in some of the other guns. About the only other problem we had was the guys with 3-point slings get in the way a lot and they don’t allow for weak side shooting. My gun bless its heart ran like a champ.

Other than that I don’t think anyone had any other equipment problems.

Overall I had a really good time and learned a lot. Jeff is an excellent instructor and knows his stuff. I can recommend him to anyone that wants to train hard and learn.

If you are looking for some good firearms training go to http://www.tridentconcepts.com/index.asp and sign up for a class.

Disclaimer-Anything I wrote that sounds weird or dumb is my fault. While I am not officially mentally challenged some days I feel that way. So excuse the bad writing.