The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 26, 2019, 08:46 PM   #76
ThomasT

Quote:
OK--this is my final configuration--whaddya think?
I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow and see if they have any post that will work for a stake and some fire resistant rope.
Old January 27, 2019, 02:52 PM   #77
stagpanther

Conditions weren't the best--cloudy and windy from my 5 o'clock at 15 to 30 mph 40 degrees--wind chill was nonetheless cold enough that I had to wear gloves. Decided to try out some new IMR4166 I recently bought--highly touted as clean burning and temperature insensitive.

I wasn't very impressed by my first go with the powder--there was less than 100 fps difference between my bottom and top loads (48 to 50 grs). Furthermore, there was unburnt powder coming out of the fired cases upon ejected them 50 grs barely got me 1700 fps, but I still was moderately happy with the result--I was running a sub-MOA group until, of course, I pulled the flyer at far left. Gonna try some other powder next--but these are expensive bullets to test.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-70 305 xtremePen 50 IMR4166.jpg (150.6 KB, 66 views)
Old January 28, 2019, 07:03 PM   #78
stagpanther

Decided to search existing load data to find a bullet that comes close to the dimensions of the 305 extreme penetrator--that led me to Barnes' Original TSX FN 300 gr--and Vihtavuori (does anyone actually know how that's pronounced?) 120. Bingo! the stuff works great.

Temp was in the teens but the winds were much more sedate today--only 10 to 15 but 90 cross from the right. However the numbers turned in were consistently good, powder burn was complete and I was getting much higher velocities and tighter groups than I had with yesterday's loads. I look forward to developing some more loads with the stuff--but here's one of the better ones which averaged just over 2000 fps. It's beginning to dawn on me that getting much under MOA with a 458 bullet means shooting a 1-holer.

Once you get past the thump--this Henry 45-70 is a heck of a shooter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45 70 305XtremPen 47.5 Vit120.jpg (89.3 KB, 59 views)
Old January 28, 2019, 09:56 PM   #79
ThomasT

You have really got to try some Reloader 7. Its a known good powder for the 45/70. Straight wall cases like medium fast powders. If you are having unburned powder granuales your powder is too slow burning. It should be a complete burn.

Its pronounced vit-ve-orr-ee. OK now you say it... There ya go. Wasn't that eezee.

That last group looks great.
Old January 29, 2019, 03:36 AM   #80
stagpanther

Thanks rat shooter. I have plenty or RL7 so I'll give it a shot, so to speak. The unburned powder was the IMR4166--the Viht 120 performed very well and did not appear to be temperature sensitive as I tested in temperatures in the teens yesterday. I just got in some more 350 gr bullets but still am having trouble finding 400 or 405 bullets, I have found some lead ones but not gas-checked.
Old January 29, 2019, 07:27 AM   #81
Lohman446

Am I the only one curious how well the red dot scope held up to the recoil of a 45-70 in a (fairly) light lever gun?
Old January 29, 2019, 07:55 AM   #82
stagpanther

Quote:
Am I the only one curious how well the red dot scope held up to the recoil of a 45-70 in a (fairly) light lever gun?
Right now during load development I'm using the scope--but I did take about 40 shots with the reddot and it held up fine during those shots--my intent is once I find a few good loads to go back to the reddot, maybe try a few with just the irons as well. Getting old is just one of those facts of life, gotta do what I can to see what I'm aiming at. This is Henry's 22" octagonal barrel big boy--so it's heavier than the marlins or shorter barrel rifles. Still, you're going to feel it when firing the high power loads, for which I use a pachmyer pad for.
Old January 29, 2019, 02:56 PM   #83
stagpanther

Decided to try a few loads again today--but it was colder than yesterday--temperature was hovering right above zero when I got up this morning and struggled to get to the low teens. Even with gloves on my fingers got numb quick--those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them. Here's an "honest" 5 shot group of 47.7 VHT 120. I think I will get these under MOA easily once conditions warm up.

Notice the bullet hole is the size of the bull's eye--which makes it a bit sketchy figuring out the target when you hit close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45 70 305XtremPen 47.7 Vit120.jpg (172.8 KB, 799 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; January 29, 2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old January 30, 2019, 12:08 AM   #84
BigBL87

If it works for you, I'm all for it!

I personally went a slightly different way for my Marlin 795 when I had a red dot on it. I wanted a longer body on the optic for aesthetics (I think it looks less awkward than the micro dots), so I ended up buying this:

http://hammersbinoculars.stores.yaho...eddotsi1x.html

For being dirt cheap it worked impressively well, but that was on a rimfire rifle so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, it looked more like a compact scope than a red dot and IMO looked better as a result. I ended up wanting a low power magnified optic, so gave the red dot to my father in law who now has it on his 10/22 and absolutely loves it.

A higher quality option of the same idea would be the Bushnell Trophy 1x28

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trop.../dp/B000GEWB4S

All of that to say, I'm vain so wanted a pretty setup as much as a functional one. Like I said, if you like it no reason not to run with it. Just wanted to present another option.
Old January 30, 2019, 02:24 AM   #85
stagpanther

Thanks for that. I actually have a spare Trophy lying around--I don't use it much cause I don't like the green tint glass.