The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 7, 2002, 06:09 PM   #1
S.F.S

Shell got stuck in chamber of 870

I was out shooting sporting clays the other day with a couple friends and nearing the end of the coarse I ran out of the shells I was using so I used some 12ga. 2 3/4" "Fiocchi White Rino HDCP Dram, 1250 velocity, 1 1/8oz and 7 1/2 shot loads" which after firing the first shot I could not cycle the action I cleared it by lightly slamming the butt of the stock on the ground and the action opened (didn't crack the stock) used different shells after that one to prevent it from happening again. My one friend then shot them through his Tristar O&U and they got stuck in their also the other friend was not willing to try them in his Browning Gold Hunter

Why did this happen?
I have used these shells before in another 870 I had, with no problems. I have used 3" mag loads in this 870 before with no problems but these field loads got stuck in the chamber.

Any clues??? The gun was clean no wadding or fouling.
Also is there any chance I might have damaged the gun I know the stock is not cracked, Is there anything else I could have broke?
Old October 7, 2002, 09:51 PM   #2
K80Geoff

I recall a problem with another imported brand of shell a couple of years ago.
Seems the shells were shipped in a container and in the cases on the bottom some of the metal bases were distorted because of the weight piled above them.

The metal base was actually in the shape of an oval and stuck in the chambers of many different guns. Perhaps this was the problem with the shells you were using. Since the shells stuck in your pump and your friend's O/U I would suspect some problem with the shells.

870's are pretty tough, if there is no visible damage the gun probably is OK.
Old October 7, 2002, 11:01 PM   #3
kehrby

I'm sure that the gun is fine but I would look closely at the shells. Last Sunday my friend and his kids were over and we were just shooting some backyard clays when his sons Wingmaster jammed. I looked at the shell after we finally got it out and it appeared to have gotten wet at sometime. There was that white powdery corrosion around the brass that caused it to stick. Not real obvious but enough to cause it to stick in the gun. Thats my guess since it happened in your buddy's gun too. Wait, I just reread your post and must have missed the Fiocchi part. Those have the plastic base dont they. OK, K80s idea is probably more correct than mine. Never mind
Old October 8, 2002, 04:49 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If the stock's OK, the 870's OK.

Some ammo has incompatability probs with some shotguns. Ammo that's been wet, even with the modern plastic hulls, oft changes dimensions enough to go off spec.

And some foreign ammo is a hair off US spec anyway.

Since it only happened with this ammo,I doubt it's the 870.However, I recommend checking the chamber and seeing if there's any roughness caused by corrosion,etc.Also, make sure the extractor has no grunge buildup in the "Hook" part.

Many shotguns out there with gleaming bores have chambers that aren't as clean and lubed as they ought to be.

HTH...