The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 22, 2001, 08:26 AM   #1
fubsy

Service rifle matches

A friend and I were discussing our failing eyesight and love of shooting rifle matches and that discussion has brought up some points and questions that Id like to run by ya'll......

Is there any exemption for the over 40 disease in these matches or anyone interested in the possibility of such. Since these matches are service matches, would it not seem that we could use service optics in a different category perhaps?

Why is that when you can afford the money, time, firearms your eyesight is going....sheesh....This point was driven home recently when I scout scoped a short m1a and I could hit the target again......no more washing out of the front sight, eyes bluring at the 4th or 5th shot. A 120 rds and I could see to shoot everyone of them----I had forgot how good that felt.

My Bud brought up the point that the military is scoping and red doting there rifles......maybe the blind among us could get a little disspensation. I have to admit a definite bias, but I do believe he could have a good argument here....any opinions?

tks for the time....fubsy.
Old November 22, 2001, 01:50 PM   #2
Lmccrock

Remember that M1903 Springfield was a service rifle, but it qualifies as a "Match" rifle in Highpower.

What are you shooting now? You can install a diopter peep in the rear sight of an AR-15 style service rifle, and it is still is classified as a service rifle. Check out Bob Jones for what can be done.

Corrective shooting glasses are an option. If you cannot see the front sight, how can you even read a book? Well, in my case, I am very nearsighted, and I sight a rifle through the corner of the lens, where the correction is not accurate, so the front sight can be blurry. My optician will make a lens that has the correct curvature off-center; he said to bring in the rifle to get the center on the right spot. I may take him up on that one day.

Lee