The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 15, 2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Tallest

Considering side-charging build

I've been considering a 300 blkout build for a while now. Here in VA you can't deer hunt with .223/5.56.

I've noticed a bit of a rise in side charging uppers, and I'm thinking I might like to do this build with one. I'm trying to think of any serious disadvantages, other than take-down for cleaning being a different routine, but not a lot are coming to mind.

I'd welcome any opinions, experiences, insights! Has anyone built one of these? Like it? Dislike it? Why?

Thanks!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 15, 2017, 12:32 PM   #2
RockDTMC

Other than price, the only disadvantage I can think of would be needing a non-standard bolt. I looked into them before my last build and decided against it mainly because of the price.
Old February 15, 2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Tallest

Yes... the price does give me pause. It's not giving me any better performance or quality. It just seems fun for some reason.

Thanks for the thoughts!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 15, 2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Dunsouth

I think it is a great option for a hunting rig. Price is way too high right now. I had decided to pull the trigger on one for a 458 hunting build regardless of price. Went to order and the bolts were sold out everywhere. It will cost me about $200 more than a normal upper so I think I am going to just go standard at this point. I have been waiting on the parts for almost 2 months and I am over it. For whatever reason they are catching on and parts are running $400+ for receiver and bcg (no bolt). They'll come down in price when the fad wears off. At that point I may change over my 300 or 458 to a side charge.

On a side note. Mid Way does have an AR stoner side charger that runs $240 or so for the receiver and bcg (with the bolt). It would work on a 300, but doesn't have an over sized ejection port for larger calibers. Check the reviews though as a lot of guys have had to swap out the ejector spring. I could use this and re-work it for a 458, but I don't know that it is worth the effort. Could be a good option for you though and it was in stock when last I checked.
Old February 15, 2017, 03:06 PM   #5
DubC-Hicks

https://gibbzarms.com/product/g4-sid...pper-receiver/

Gibbz makes one, more affordable than most. And it comes with the pin to make standard BCGs work.

http://store.devildogconcepts.com/products/hard-charger

Or you can make a side charger out of a standard upper. That's what I'll be doing when I build up a PSA KS47.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:14 PM   #6
Mobuck

Just another place for dirt to enter the works.
Old February 15, 2017, 10:50 PM   #7
HiBC

I have not looked at a side charger,and I do not have a clear idea of how the charging handle is attached to the bolt carrier.
So,my concern might be all wet.
As an R+D sort of machinist,I often had to implement the ideas of an engineer who had not considered the devils in the details.
I assume the "real estate" in steel we have to work with is the wall section of the bolt carrier.
Question:How thick is it.?

Next question,will the attachment be via threads?

How?

As I said,I don't know how it is done.One way,could be the charging handle would be in the form of a shoulder screw.
In that case,there would be some form of spot face,or counterbore on the side of the bolt carrier for the charging handle seat.

Then a hole would be drilled to tap for the threads.

Does this hole go through,or is it blind? If it goes through,how does it work out with the bore the bolt lives in? the hard chrome? the gas rings? Just asking.

So,now we have our hole to tap,is it a blind hole to bottom tap? Or a through hole?

When we are done,How many perfect threads do we have for our charging handle to engage?
What is the diameter and pitch?
How hard/durable will those threads be?

The side charging handle will be removed/reinstalled every time the bolt carrier is removed/cleaned,correct?

That little threaded stub will experience significant shock/inertia with each cycle.

Now,on top of the bolt carrier....the proper nomenclature escapes me right now,the carrier gas tube doohickey that has two "properly staked"screws holding it in a pocket.That assembly is always touted as a matter of great concern when evaluating a bolt carrier. Two staked screws,permanent assembly.No assembly/disassembly wear.

How does it have a different job or durability requirement from a charging handle?

I do not know the answers.BEFORE I spent my money,I WOULD know.

Update: I looked at the link to the Gibbs setup.That is way different than the earlier right side charging handles I was imagining.
This setup,the Gibbs,looks like an FN-FAL,....and actually.might workout just fine.

I can see a few advantages to it,one,not having the rear sling attachment near the charging handle,and two,for a right hander,the face and trigger hand stay in place,looking at the target,and the bolt can be cycled.

Interesting. Not interesting enough to build another rifle for,but interesting.

I generally load to an open bolt.I use the slide release.I just don't have bad ammo or a gun that does not run (typically) so I don't use a charging handle much.
The Gibbs is no more a bolt assist than the AR charging handle,correct? It does nor reciprocate.

Last edited by HiBC; February 15, 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old February 15, 2017, 10:59 PM   #8
turtlehead

I guess I don't understand the point of one. You only charge once per session with the rifle. So, other than just being different (which is cool)...
Old February 16, 2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Tallest

Hey Folks... great imput! I appreciate it!

HiBC - Those are lot of good thinking points! Thanks for the time! I'm definitely still in the planning stages, and I'm wondering if I may be better served to go traditional.

turtlehead - You're right, of course! I have no problem admitting I'm thinking about primarily for the "cool" factor.

And like everyone has said, price still seems too high for something that gains you nothing.

Thanks all!

Old February 16, 2017, 02:09 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Background:
I built a reciprocating-bolt side-charging .458 SOCOM a few years back.
I used a MEGA upper receiver and the bespoke (modified) YM National Match bolt carrier.

Ran like a champ.
But... too heavy.
I know the weight difference is minimal, but I could feel it and it bugged me.

The SOCOM upper got torn down and rebuilt using a PSA blem receiver that I opened the ejection port on.

The side-charger receiver and BCG got recycled into a 6x45mm varmint build, where the weight wouldn't be much of an issue. (It turned into a 13-lb rifle. )

Experience:
I have never had issues with the bolt knob getting too tight, nor loosening up too much from use. I run it in hand-tight, and it's good to go.
There's also plenty of meat in the bolt for thread engagement. Anything capable of shearing off or pulling out the bolt knob is going to be causing significant damage to other parts of the rifle, as well.
That YM BCG, overall, is a very nice piece of kit.

Pros that are often overlooked:
Side-chargers are are lot easier to use while prone (and sometimes kneeling/sitting), than standard charging handles.
Reciprocating-bolt side-chargers don't need a forward assist. (I don't want to debate forward-assist. Just bringing up the point for those that like or hate FA.)
Large optics that foul or block a standard charging handle won't mess with a side-charger.
Plus the usual "pros" list...

Cons:
Reciprocating-bolt side-chargers often have clearance/interference issues with brass catchers.
Right-handed side-chargers cannot be operated, or require moving things out of the way, if run with a brass catcher.
--Both of the above issues can be gotten around with expensive, rail-mounted brass catchers that are hinged and easily moved. But it's still any annoyance.
Right-handed side-chargers with right-handed shooters are not ideal when prone. (Same for left-handed/left-handed.) They require moving the support arm for bolt manipulation, or reaching over the rifle with the other arm.
If you put your hand or other body parts somewhere stupid with a reciprocating side-charger, it will hurt.
Non-reciprocating side-chargers often have additional escape routes for gases. May not be ideal in the event of a catastrophic failure, or when used with a suppressor.

Thoughts:
I like what I've got, but I almost exclusively shoot the 6x45mm with a brass catcher installed; and I have changed scopes, which resulted in the standard charging handle being more accessible. As such, the side-charging handle is usually blocked and rendered superfluous and obsolete.
I don't regret buying, building, or messing with it. But it turned out to be the wrong application for me (both times).

I wouldn't mind building another one.
But I'd be looking at a left-handed, non-reciprocating model (along the lines of American Spirit).
Old February 17, 2017, 11:44 AM   #11
ed308

I've got 3 side charging ARs and really like them. My side chargers are Crosshill Technology models that I've used for .223/5.56 (3 Gun), 6.8 (hunting) and 270AR (hunting). I like the handle on the right side for personal preference and I'm right handed. They are slightly heavier since the uppers receivers are billet and the handles are slightly heavier compared to a AR charging handle. The only negative IMO is the charging knob needs to be removed to pull the bolt and that requires a allen wrench. I keep a spare allen wrench in either the stock or pistol grip.

Last edited by ed308; February 17, 2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old February 17, 2017, 01:51 PM   #12
Tallest

ed308 - I appreciate the info! It sounds like I won't have anything too bad no matter which way I go. Thanks!

Old February 17, 2017, 02:50 PM   #13
ed308

Well..., the only negative IMO is your choice of cartridge. I'm not a fan of the 300BLK. But that's a different discussion. But if your running suppressed, I can understand your decision. I just think 6.8, 6.5, .458 and some other cartridges are more lethal, especially over 100 yards.
Old February 17, 2017, 03:04 PM   #14
Tallest

ed308 - I may look into the 6.5 or 6.8. .458 Is too much for what I want. But I am entertaining the suppressed option, hence the initial bent toward .300 blackout. Also, in my experience, a lot of readily available 300 blackout factory ammo. I don't see a lot of the 6.8 or any 6.5 in my neck of the woods. And, unfortunately, I am not yet a hand loader, though I aspire to be in the not-too-distant future. Thanks again for your insights! I'll look into the other options some more.