The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 27, 2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Pops1085

Single shot rifles, inaccurate?

So don't bite my head off here if you love single shots, but I've heard that they are inherently less accurate than a good bolt action. Now for my wee little brain that just doesn't make sense. If all you have is a barrel and a scope mounted too it, I couldn't imagine a more accurate setup. Doesn't the inaccuracy of certain rifles come from a lack of repeatability due to parts not settling the exact same way? With a gun with so few parts and the scope affixed to the barrel, there's really nothing that could get screwed up... But what do I know. Enlighten me please.
Old January 27, 2017, 07:02 PM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

I'd say the results are going to be in the lock up of the action.
Old January 27, 2017, 07:02 PM   #3
JWT

I own one single shot. A Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .17 HMR and it's extremely accurate. Don't know that I've ever heard a bolt action is more accurate than a single shot. A bolt is the most accurate repeating action.
Old January 27, 2017, 07:24 PM   #4
mete

I would think it would be the single shot. That being said of two falling block, one rolling block, and a bolt action guns I have I would think of the falling blocks as being more accurate
My bolt action is a 22rf Mauser was also made in repeater version. Perhaps someone with both versions may have tested the two to compare.
The big thing I have noticed is that with a SS your mind tells you "you have only one round ,make it count !! " Repeaters say "well if I miss the first, I'll get it with the second or third "
Old January 27, 2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Hawg

Single shots are generally more accurate.
Old January 27, 2017, 08:09 PM   #6
ShootistPRS

I have several single action rifles and several bolt action rifles. At 200 yards it would be hard to tell one from the other.
Old January 27, 2017, 08:15 PM   #7
FITASC

Depends on the single shot. The cheap break open NEF? Not so great. The Ruger #1 or similar actions? Much better. The Rem XP-100 or 40X? Even better.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 27, 2017, 09:16 PM   #8
RC20

I had read accounts of the Ruger in particular being good hunting guns but not tack drivers, more in the 1.5 MOA.

Agreed it made no sense. Good question .
Old January 27, 2017, 09:23 PM   #9
dahermit

The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a Browning B78 in 6MM Remington.
Old January 27, 2017, 10:02 PM   #10
Bigtimber

Always under the impression from many so called experts single shot actions were the most accurate of all. I would think most quality modern firearms of all type actions are likely more accurate than the majority of the men holding them.
Old January 27, 2017, 10:51 PM   #11
reynolds357

As a rule, single shots are not as accurate as bolt actions.
Old January 28, 2017, 12:35 AM   #12
Mobuck

ASSuming you're asking about breakaction singleshots. My experience has been with NEF centerfires and yes, I've found them "less consistent" than other action types. Some are more touchy than others but a couple I've shot required the action to be snapped shut in exactly the same way and with the same force every time to be consistent.
Old January 28, 2017, 03:23 AM   #13
Snyper

If single shots were the most accurate I think you'd see benchrest shooters using them, but they all tend to use bolt actions for precision work.
Old January 28, 2017, 03:29 AM   #14
Gunplummer

Depends what you call "Accurate" and at what range. At shorter ranges I have seen pumps that could keep up with bolt guns. I also have run into people that said their Ruger single shots were not that great. Going by the Ruger bolt actions, I would have to say they did not make the best barrels out there.
Old January 28, 2017, 09:41 AM   #15
SaxonPig

In past decades may beautiful target rifles were built on Ballard, Martini and other single shot type actions. I have a thing for the Ruger #1 and own several. I am not a skilled marksman but mine shoot well given the operator's level of competency.

My 7x57 #1 made this 100 yard group measuring a hair over 5/8" using military surplus ammo.

Even the 458 #1 shoots well at 50 yards.

I have a couple of Martinis including a custom job in 45/70...

Old January 28, 2017, 11:04 AM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
If single shots were the most accurate I think you'd see benchrest shooters using them, but they all tend to use bolt actions for precision work.
What makes you think a bolt action can't also be a single shot. Google XP-100 and 40-X from Remington. Some of the most accurate pistols/rifles made.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 28, 2017, 12:09 PM   #17
Jim Watson

You may notice that most modern target rifles are bolt action single shots. If a Ruger, Ballard, or Martini was more accurate, the competitors would be SHOOTING Rugers, Ballards, and Martinis.

The symmetrical locking of a front lug bolt is an advantage over the off center support of a falling block. Not a huge one, but it is there and if you want to be competitive, you need all the help you can get. The best Indian needs the best arrows.
Old January 28, 2017, 12:13 PM   #18
handlerer2

I own a single shot rifle, a Cooper MDL22, single shot that is the most accurate rifle that I have ever fired. I own Weatherby's , Rugers, Rems in the past.

Last time I looked competition benchrest rifles were single shot bolt action rifles.

It's my understanding that single shot bolt actions are the most accurate because they don't have a big honking hole on the bottom of the receiver and so are stiffer, stronger and more accurate. Take a look at accurateshooter or 6mmbenchrest.com. Look at rifle -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- on their featured rifle page. A lot of information there.
Old January 28, 2017, 12:33 PM   #19
Boncrayon

Single shot rifles, inaccurate?

Accuracy in in the hands of the shooter, not the firearm. Grip is foremost, followed by trigger pull and breathing. If you are sending the bullet down-range, the bullet has left the muzzle in the direction it is pointed (we're assuming the rifle has been treated kindly over the years.) I also hope you were using a bench rest for steadiness. You didn't mention sighting. The rear sight is the adjustable side for aiming. The front sight may have been stuck when dropped and not inline with the muzzle.

Using a bench rest, sight-in with the bulls-eye, and shoot 3-5 rounds at the same center. If you are shooting right-handed, and your cluster is to the left at 7 o'clock, or left-handed and your cluster is at 5 o'clock, it is your trigger pull. (Don't wrap your finger way around your trigger. You cannot be breathing when the rifle fires, but you need to oxygenate between each shot to prevent shaking.

If the front sight is not bent or damaged, move the rear sight in the direction of where you want the bullet to land.
Old January 28, 2017, 02:50 PM   #20
RC20

I went back and picked up an article on the Rugers.

Guy had owned a number, some were great, some awful.

Barrel vs the action type?

They are great looking guns.

Saxopig: 3 shot groups are not a benchmark of accuracy and the 458 looks to be a 2 inch gun at 100.

Quote:
In past decades may beautiful target rifles were built on Ballard, Martini and other single shot type actions. I have a thing for the Ruger #1 and own several. I am not a skilled marksman but mine shoot well given the operator's level of competency.

My 7x57 #1 made this 100 yard group measuring a hair over 5/8" using military surplus ammo.
Old January 28, 2017, 02:50 PM   #21
reynolds357

Accuracy is both the Indian and the arrow. I shoot with a world record holding bench rest shooter. I guarantee you if he shot my sons .30-30 Win 94 in the next match, he would finish last place.
Old January 28, 2017, 05:18 PM   #22
saleen322

Some shoot pretty well.

Old January 28, 2017, 05:29 PM   #23
Snyper

Quote:
What makes you think a bolt action can't also be a single shot. Google XP-100 and 40-X from Remington. Some of the most accurate pistols/rifles made.
They can be, but the OP specifically wanted to compare guns that were not bolt actions. There will always be individual examples of all action types than can outshoot other individual examples of a different type.

Overall though I believe the bolt action design is the most inherently accurate regardless of it's capacity.

Quote:
So don't bite my head off here if you love single shots, but I've heard that they are inherently less accurate than a good bolt action.

Now for my wee little brain that just doesn't make sense. If all you have is a barrel and a scope mounted too it, I couldn't imagine a more accurate setup. Doesn't the inaccuracy of certain rifles come from a lack of repeatability due to parts not settling the exact same way? With a gun with so few parts and the scope affixed to the barrel, there's really nothing that could get screwed up... But what do I know. Enlighten me please.
Old January 28, 2017, 06:03 PM   #24
reynolds357

The most accurate rifle I have ever owned would be a toss up between a Bat/Lilja .30br. And a Bat/Hart 6PPC. A 700/Lilja 6Br Norma I have now is knocking on the door.
Old January 28, 2017, 06:31 PM   #25
dgludwig

I'm not arguing that my experience is typical but, concerning accurate rifles, over the past fifty years or so I've had the good fortune to have owned and shot many, many nice rifles, the most accurate one I've had is a Ruger No.1 V, chambered in .220 Swift. It's not for sale.