The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2017, 03:16 PM   #1
oldcolts64

I am kind of torn between the Win. 61 or 62

Any thoughts before I buy?
Old January 23, 2017, 04:51 PM   #2
joeb

I've a 61 which I adore...I couldn't voice an opinion on the 62.
Old January 23, 2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Wyosmith

I own a 62 and I have experience with the 61.
In my opinion those are the best two 22 pump-actions ever made.

If the condition is good, I am sure you will be happy with either.

In fact, if you can, get both.
Old January 23, 2017, 05:38 PM   #4
math teacher

When I was 12 years old my father presented me with a used Model 61 as I am left handed. I still have it and have no idea how many hundred rabbits it has accounted for. It is quite accurate and mine has a very nice trigger. I inherited another one from my father-in-law and it is also fairly accurate with a good trigger, though my original one is slightly better.

The Model 62 has an exposed hammer, so the lock time may be a little slower. Neither is a target rifle, so choose the one you like best.
Old January 23, 2017, 10:36 PM   #5
greenmtnguy

I "rescued" a good-to-very-good condition 1952 Model 61 from an in-law, and gave them good market value price for it too. The bore was dirty, but cleaned up beautifully, and after a good overall cleaning (it had been sitting in a laundry room for 25+ years!) it took it to the range with some Winchester whitebox fodder. It also had a period Williams peep sight. I was a bit pressed for time, and setup a target at 50 yards, took a fouling shot, rested the rifle over a sandbag and put 40 rounds into the target without making any sight adjustments. All 40 rounds were in the target, group size was about 4 inches total for all 40 rounds with 11 rounds in the bullseye - but for the first time out with the old rifle (and my 52 year old eyes with glaucoma ain't what they used to be) I considered this a great start for a "new" old rifle.

These are generally great shooters, and they hold value very well. One has to look hard for a "nice" one that isn't over priced, though.
Old January 23, 2017, 10:48 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

If you want side-eject, buy a 61.
If you don't mind top-eject, or prefer the more classic styling, buy a 62.

Personally, I have a long-running love affair with the 1890/1906/62/62A family. So, it's a more classic appearance and top-eject for me.
Old January 23, 2017, 11:30 PM   #7
Savage99

Some of the 61's will mount a scope on a grooved top frame. The 62 can't.

I like my 61 with a scope on it.
Old January 24, 2017, 10:17 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

FWIW: If you find a 62 which only shoots .22 Shorts, good odds it was a Gallery Rifle. Used in shooting galleries which were common "back then" in carnivals as well as the occasional in-town gallery.

In 1953 I rented a room ($8 per week) in downtown Corpus Christi, Texas. It was upstairs above a shooting gallery. The gallery closed at 8PM during the week and at 10PM on Saturdays.
Old January 24, 2017, 10:31 AM   #9
JWT

I have both guns and they are indeed great firearms IMO. I prefer the Model 62 because of it's exposed hammer. It has always been a favorite of mine.
Old January 24, 2017, 10:50 AM   #10
doofus47

I own a bolt action 62. The rifle is unbelievably light and handy and accurate. The trigger is very light.
I think mine went to England during WW2 as it's stamped "Not English Made" or something similar and has a serial number stamped on it. It has a Parker Hale ghost ring setup which works wonderfully, but it also has 2 dovetails cut into the receiver to mount a scope. And it has a thread protector on the muzzle. I don't know when it came back over, but I'm glad it did.

I bought it when I was considering building a biathlon rifle, but in the end I kept it as original as I received it. Great rifle that I"ll be using to teach my kids how to shoot.
Old January 24, 2017, 09:01 PM   #11
joe45c

I have a 61 with the grooved receiver love it. I am on the lookout for either 1890/06/or 62. They are both great rifles. May as well own both.
Old January 25, 2017, 03:05 PM   #12
dgludwig

It's easy to understand why you're "torn". I like them both equally and would probably get the one that I could find that was the cheapest, everything else being equal. Unfortunately, as greenmtnguy noted, neither one is easy to find in "nice" condition that aren't over-priced.
Old January 26, 2017, 08:53 AM   #13
upstate81

love pumps

My family owns a few 61s. I own a 22 mag version personally and its a real piece of art. Mine was made toward the end of production, maybe 1962. Unfortunately buying one of these is a bigger investment than even the 9422 lever guns. A nice one is going to be a grand. A magnum could be 2 . Im not talking about new in box either, just a really nice example. Worth the money? Maybe to some collectors but for a all day shooter i would buy the remington pump or even one the henrys, as they are very nice. I would love a 62 but like all Winchesters, prices are sky high, the only ones i ever see are the 22 short gallery guns. Have you seen any shorts in the last 4 years? I hardly see a box anywhere.
Old January 26, 2017, 06:43 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
I would love a 62 but like all Winchesters, prices are sky high, the only ones i ever see are the 22 short gallery guns.
And I can only imagine how many pounds of lead were poured down the barrel of a typical gallery rifle over decades of hard use.
Old January 26, 2017, 10:46 PM   #15
Vividia

I am lucky enough to have my uncle's 62A, which he bought new as a boy. It is one my most treasured possessions. It eats 22 short, long and long rifle, is dead accurate and a blast to shoot. What could be better?

He is in his 80s now, and asked me to sell it for him. I said sure, then SOLD, and handed him a check on the spot. No way i am letting it get out of the family.
Old January 28, 2017, 10:46 AM   #16
joe45c

vividia, That was most likely one of your best purchases in your life.
Old January 29, 2017, 11:50 AM   #17
makarov

I have a model 61. I like the sleek lines of the gun. If you like the more "western" look of the 62 get that one. Or better yet, one of each! My 61 is very accurate with open sights (it isn't grooved for a scope) - it just seems to point naturally. Minute-of-pop-can out to 50 yards! Super fun to shoot.