The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 18, 2017, 12:33 PM   #1
mossyoakglock

Leupold scope - what is this on the outside?

Has anybody had this happen with a Leupold scope? It's like a film on the exterior of the scope. It's not condensation because it is always there and doesn't go away with temp changes.

It's there whether it's 70* or 10*. It functions properly and sights in fine but I've never seen this before. I have 3 other Leupolds and they haven't done this.

It almost looks like greasy fingerprints but it's definitely not that. I attached two pictures also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leupold Scope 1.jpg (59.1 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Leupold Scope 2.jpg (166.5 KB, 196 views)
Old January 18, 2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Doyle

Possibly residue from a spray gun oil? Try wiping down a small section with a q-tip wetted with rubbing alcohol.
Old January 18, 2017, 01:10 PM   #3
BumbleBug

I agree with Doyle. It looks like a reaction to one of the chemicals used to clean your gun. I would be particularly suspicious of bore cleaners that use ammonia.
Old January 18, 2017, 02:49 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

I agree with the posts above. Something used to clean the gun.
Old January 18, 2017, 03:09 PM   #5
mossyoakglock

It's not residue from gun cleaning oil since I don't use a spray and never get anything on my scopes or clean my scopes with any sort of gun cleaner. I also clean the gun with the scope up so nothing could possibly drip on the scope.

If they are dirty I will take a microfiber or terry cloth and wipe it down. Might even put a little split of water on a corner to wipe away anything stuck.

I'll try rubbing alcohol with a q-tip on a small section and see what happens.

Last edited by mossyoakglock; January 18, 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old January 18, 2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Jimro

I think it is an oil or grease left over from the manufacturing process. It won't hurt anything, but it might be a tad unsightly to some.

Jimro
Old January 18, 2017, 05:30 PM   #7
AK103K

Do you smoke, and a lot?

I ran into something that looks very similar to that with a relatives gun that was kept in a room where he smoked like a chimney.

When it came my way, I had a hell of a time getting it (what I believe is/was nicotine) off the scope.
Old January 18, 2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Smoke & Recoil

Looks to me like silicone based grease...possibly used during the assembly process of the scope. Might try a petroleum based cleaner.
Old January 18, 2017, 07:15 PM   #9
CarJunkieLS1

Do you hunt with the rifle? I've seen something similar to that when some of the "scent killer" spray or "doe pee" spray got onto a buddies rifle. He used a rag with rubbing alcohol on it to get the residue off.
Old January 18, 2017, 08:30 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I'd say it's contamination from cleaning; or contamination that was inside the bag when the scope initially shipped from the factory.
Old January 18, 2017, 09:39 PM   #11
reynolds357

You or Leupold got some sort of petroleum on it. Clean it with ethanol. The kind from the hardware store works best, but moonshine works well too.
Old January 19, 2017, 02:22 PM   #12
mossyoakglock

Thanks, everyone. I will try the cleaners.

It's definitely not nicotine as nobody in my family smokes and neither does any of my friends or anybody I hunt with.

I do hunt with the rifle but I know it is not overspray from the scent killer. The rifle is usually the last thing I take out before I walk to the stand and always stand about a ways away from my truck since I don't want the spray to accidentally get on my truck.

It's not contamination from cleaning since I don't use any spray cleaner or oil when cleaning my guns. I'm careful to not splatter any cleaning oils everywhere. I'm leaning towards grease from the manufacturing process.

Thanks, again! I wasn't sure if this was an indication that something is wrong with the scope even though it functions great (no fogging, etc).
Old January 19, 2017, 05:39 PM   #13
fourbore

I have got remoil spray on my leupolds without a problem. Like liquids make good cleaners. That might be a simple thing to try, wipe gun oil with a rag.

While I have no first hand experience with this problem, I expect the Leupold lifetime warranty will cover this.
Old January 19, 2017, 07:33 PM   #14
wild willy

What Smoke and Recoil said I've seen it before on scopes and binoculars.Usually you clean it off once or twice you never see it again.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:29 PM   #15
rootie3

dirty scope

I agree with the above answers... CLEAN the scope with alcohol and a clean rag. It's definately not condensation!

Larry