The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Haz251

Custom gun smithing help plz

So fellas I've been debating picking up a new handgun for a while now but a few minutes ago I made the decision to instead have some custom work done to my beloved Baby Desert Eagle II. Only problem is that since it is such an unconventional gun it's proving to be difficult to find gunsmiths online that state they will work on it. Really the only thing I'm wanting done is all machining. I'm thinking some lightening cuts up front to double as cocking serrations as well as weight reducers and then some cocking serrations along the top of the slide. I love this gun so I'm looking to make it more "mine". From what I have seen online ppl are wanting some crazy prices. There are some local machine shops in town that are pretty damn good so I'm going to go ask them Monday but I doubt they will come through for me. Also I live in NC and I really don't wanna send my baby halfway across the country so if any of you guys know anyone who could do a good job at a reasonable price somewhere around NC I would greatly appreciate the advice. Many thanks guys
Old April 7, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

The Baby Desert Eagle II, if it's the gun I think it is, is basically a CZ-pattern gun, and anyone who works on Tanfoglio or Witness guns should be able to work on it. The earliest Baby Eagles used Tanfoglio components, later they were made under license. I suspect they're still similar. (Tanfoglio-based guns are quite different internally than CZs; they work about the same, but the parts are NOT interchangeable.)

The folks at Magnum Research probably know of gunsmiths who work with their weapons. If they have a custom shop, they might be able to do what you want.

They're fine guns, but like most guns, any money spent refining them isn't likely to be recovered if you ever choose to sell it. Think carefully before you spend too much.

Local machine shops are probably COMPETENT to do the work, but may not have the licenses required to work on parts of the gun. Only a FFL can do that sort of work, because of regulations controlling the transfer of weapons, etc. If you're nearby, you may be OK, but leaving it overnight can be a legal problem for you or them.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 7, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Haz251

Yea I know any changes wouldn't get me any more money outta it but I could never sell my baby. I've out shot berettas, glocks, m&ps, and a few 1911s (1 of which had a 2000 price tag on it and im must waiting for the chance to go up against a nice sig or HK) so it's def a keeper. Everything I plan to do is just to make it that much more unique. I appreciate the words of advice. Imma hit up the machine shops tomorrow and I know bout the whole if a firearms stays more than one day there has to be a Ffl transfer so imma make sure it leaves with me that night and ill just bring it back if I have to.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Have you tried the Smithy section yet? http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Might be a better starting place for that degree of gunsmith work.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Nathan

What do you want done to a Baby Eagle?
Old April 7, 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Haz251

Not yet but I plan on throwing another thread over there as well. I mainly plan on just doing cosmetic upgrades. I want to add either 3 or 4 lightening cuts that will serve as front cocking serrations on the front of the slide as well as reduce weight and then I was thinking bout doing some sort of serrtions up on top as well but nothing overly aggressive. I don't know if I necessarily need an actual gunsmith for this but I'd rather take a firearm to a gunsmith rather than just a machinist. For me these additions are more of a second type of cool thing. Just something to really make me love it even more
Old April 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you can find a machinist who can/will do the work, you might be better off than using a gunsmith, and you might get the work done in less time as most gunsmiths are heavily backlogged. If all the work is to be done on the slide, no FFL is needed as without the frame, there is no gun involved.

Jim
Old April 7, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Haz251

Oh I didn't think about the backlog wait time. Good call sir