The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
tristar viper

M&P vs. M&P Pro Series

I want to buy another pistol, and at this point that's really all I know. I've always been fascinated and interested in the M&P Pro pistols. I have never shot one, and honestly don't even know how they are different from the regular M&P.
Can someone tell me what the differences are? Please tell me that the Pro trigger is better, because that's why I got rid of the one and only M&P I ever had.
I could go to the website to find the differences, but I'd rather ask everyone on here because certainly some real world experience with an M&P Pro will present itself.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Mercenary

There are two models of the Pro Series. One is the same size as the fullsized M&P's. This model comes standard with night sights and has a 4-5 1/2lb trigger whereas the standard model has a 6.5lb trigger. The other Pro Series has a 5" barrel and comes with fiber optic sights and the same 4-5 1/2lb trigger. Otherwise I think they are the same as the standard M&P's in every other way.

I had a M&P and sold it and ofetn wish tha I would have held on to it. I would like to pick up another one and I would like to have longer Pro Series model for the longer sight radius. However if I were to go with a standard size, I would just get the standard M&P instead of the Pro. Either way I would upgrade with an APEX FSS and have a much better trigger overall.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:57 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

Target/match use; duty size...

I went thru what I refer to as my "Nash Bridges" phase in the late 1990s, where I toted a 96D .40 with a match grade extended barrel.
It added balance to the 96D pistol but was a $@#% to carry around.
In 2011, I looked at the M&P Pro line in 9x19mm or a XDm target size pistol but decided on a regular M&P with ambi safety. The regular or duty size M&P fit more holsters & had a better look than the Pro Series.
There's no major difference in ballistics & each model has it's benefits.
The Pro Series Military & Police is built on the larger .45acp frame but with the smaller .357sig/.40/9x19mm.

The Glock 34 is a target grade 9mm but it's the same size as a 1911 .45acp.
Many gunners like the Glock 34 for match-target use.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
breakingcontact

I haven't shot a Pro but handled and dry fired one.

The trigger is much better than the stock version.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Theohazard

All the Pro models I've handled have an improved trigger pull but still have that terrible imperceptible M&P reset. So you're still going to want the Apex trigger on it.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:04 AM   #6
tristar viper

I can't remember ever even seeing one of these guns at a store. I have never handled one and don't even know what they feel like. But, as I stated in the initial post, it's just always been a gun I have been interested in.
So why do they call it the "Pro" series then? Doesn't sound to me like it's hardly any different. I assumed, and shame on me for assuming, that "Pro" meant great trigger, match grade barrel, etc. etc. Guess not.
I liked everything about the M&P that I had except the trigger. It was the 9C. It felt great, it was a great size for carry, but the trigger ruined it for me. Something else that always drove me nuts about it was how difficult it was to even get that last round in the magazine, and then you would practically have to compress the whole thing in a vise to get the full magazine in the gun. That really got on my nerves.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
zincwarrior

You just needed Lula loader. The magazine is so small for the 9c I could understand it getting difficult towards the end (mine does). I actually like the trigger on mine. Ran about five hundred rounds through it and the trigger smoothed out just fine for me. This may have changed as this is a recent pistol though, purchased in the last six months.

I have also heard that the pro is better but not great. For my money I'd get a trigger job/Apex for the trigger and tweak sights to taste. I know for my full size, a Burwell trigger job, adjustable sights, fiber optic front sight, and KKM barrel later and the thing is sweet. When sighting it in the first time I thought I missed or something because three rounds went into a thumbsized hole at 7 yards. Considering the plinker ammo I was using I was amazed.