The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 9, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1
smitty77

Info from all the Lefty's

I am in the market for a new O/U and need some info from the left handers out there. I am looking at the Browning Cynergy series and am interested if they are adjustable for cast, and any reviews on the quality of the shotguns.
Is there a better left handed gun out there I should be looking at?
Thanks for the help.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:02 AM   #2
idek

It was my understanding that Browning shotguns are cast neutral, meaning they don't favor the left or right side to begin with. I could be mistaken though.
Old November 10, 2012, 06:59 PM   #3
BigJimP

Many Browning models are cast neutral ...but some are not...especially if they are models that have "palm swells". Its almost something you'll have to go to a gunshop to see.

A gun like the Citori XS Skeet with the adj comb ....can be changed for cast.

The Cynergy models -with synthetic stocks ...with adj combs / do not adjust for cast - like the typical Browning wood stocked adj comb guns. I believe all of the wood stocked models of the Cynergy will adjust for cast.

Browning does make a few left handed models - where the lever operates from the left side / and so the palm swell, if that model has it, is on the left vs the right side....and if you look at some of the shogun magazines - like Shotgun Sports - you'll see a number of his advertisers in there that will probably have left handed models for sale. I believe the online Browning catalog has a few left handed models in it - like the 625 series / but I'm not a leftie, so I don't focus on whats in their inventory right now for lefties.

But check the Browning master catalog - you'll find it in most good gunshops that handle a lot of Browning shotguns..or their online catalog.

Last edited by BigJimP; November 10, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old November 10, 2012, 08:02 PM   #4
340 Weatherby

Smitty, I am a lefty, and although I have no experience with the Cynergy's, I do shoot several different over and unders. What I do is I pick the gun up off the rack and shoulder it like I was going to shoot a bird. This gives me a quick answer as to how the gun fits. Most guns seem to be cast neutral to me. However you will come across many that aren't. When I find that gun that really fits me well, I can shoulder it fast with my eyes closed and when I open them the beads are right where they should be. This is why I can't have a dealer order a shotgun for me. Chances are it won't fit as well as sombody elses that I know. And they won't trade either. The place where my Son and I do a lot of trading sells a lot of Beretta's. I can't believe how different those guns feel to me. Some are flat out amazing (kill everything that flies), and others are like-are you kidding me. And they all come from the same factory. Brownings are closer to me but they may not feel that way to you. I hope your in a part of the country with a good gun shop with several guns to choose from.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:56 AM   #5
BigJimP

+1 on Weatherby's comments ....

Even for righties ....if you know a model has a right handed palm swell - and a fully adjustable parallel comb where you can get some adjustment for cast...before you order a $3,000 gun its probably a good idea to shoulder a few of the current models, if you find guys at your local club are shooting them, before you order....

Guns like the Cynergy Sporting model ....are seen on range often....as are Citori XT Trap and Citori XS Skeet models....and a lot of the Citori 625 series as well...so take advantage of it. Talk to guys - do they like the gun - would they buy the same model again...and if they're lefties, I think its probably even more critical.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:54 PM   #6
JimDandy

I'm not a lefty but I play one on TV... no wait... my brother is a south paw. He uses the Browning Lightnings, if that helps.