The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 9, 2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Vireye

Thoughts on Finish Wear?

Hey all.

Call me strange, but I noticed that the blue on my P228R is starting to wear near the front of the slide, and I'm actually pretty excited about it. I've worn this gun on- and off-again for 11 months now, VERY occasionally alternating with a Glock 30 for certain occasions.

I'm all about character, and to me there is nothing more attractive when it comes to firearms then some well-deserved holster wear. I typically wear in either a DeSantis pancake OWB, or a Cobra Gunskin IWB. Both have served me well so far.

Anyone else actually prefer seeing some finish wear on their firearms? Or am I in the minority here? (I know my buddy goes INSANE when he sees any wear on his Glock...poor guy)
Old November 9, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Jay24bal

I kind of like it as well...

I have been carrying the same gun (Sig p250) for about 2 years now and am seeing finish wear in the same exact spot you are, the muzzle end of the slide.

I also kind of like it. To me, it is a sign that the gun has been used well, and has been depended upon to be utterly reliable. That said, I do have a couple safe queens that I would be quite upset if they had any wear on them, but for a working gun, I love seeing some character. My EDC and my hunting shotguns all sport some "character."

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 9, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3
LarryFlew

At my house it's called character.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Vireye

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Old November 9, 2012, 11:12 AM   #5
gak

I agree with all the comments thus far. I've got a few guns that just don't get "out" enough and their spanking new finish does nothing for me. Like one poster, I also have a very few I'm reticent to put any wear on, but they're--actually one in particular--"special" and would devalue to put wear on. But I'm generally a "no safe queens" type. And...yes, I agree with the trend of this thread such that I have "antiqued" a few (Colt SAA clones) to accelerate what would otherwise take years of "honest" wear to achieve - and love 'em. Imagine the following (beyond an admittedly certain cool and desirable factor on its own if actually new and how valuable if actually in that condition!) - a brand spanking new M1 Garand, a Walther P38, a GI 1911, a First Gen Colt SAA or 1851, an 1873 Win or Pre War 92/94, etc, etc. The iconic image of these is used with wear, oozing "character.". And, beyond possibly devaluing as investments--not usually why I get something--I usually can't wait to see some holster and use wear on a new firearm.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:16 AM   #6
2damnold4this

It's just letting you know that it is a work gun and not a safe queen or collectible. : )
Old November 9, 2012, 12:31 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

I would rather prevent/abate wear on my guns,,,

Several years ago I started a thread,,,
It was on how to lessen the effects of wear on a blued pistol.

I was amazed at the amount of folk who got on me about this,,,
Just because I wanted to lessen the effect of wear.

My grandfather had several rifles & shotguns he used very frequently,,,
After every time out they got cleaned thoroughly,,,
He would wipe the guns with alcohol,,,
Then wipe on some cold blue,,,
Then a light wipe of oil.

All of his guns were at the very least 25 years old at that time,,,
They all looked like they were brand new.

This was in contrast to my father,,,
He said cleaning guns (anything) was a waste of time,,,
Just a drop of oil here and there and they will last just as long.

My Grandfather took care of every thing he had,,,
His 15 year old truck looked brand new,,,
And lasted for over 30 years.

My Father's truck never got cleaned, washed, or waxed,,,
It looked like a wreck after just a few years,,,
Nothing my Father ever had lasted long.

Which person do you think I should emulate?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 9, 2012, 01:30 PM   #8
gak

Aarondhgraham sid:
" Several years ago I started a thread,,,It was on how to lessen the effects of wear on a blued pistol.I was amazed at the amount of folk who got on me about this,,,Just because I wanted to lessen the effect of wear.My grandfather had several rifles & shotguns he used very frequently,,,After every time out they got cleaned thoroughly,,,He would wipe the guns with alcohol,,,Then wipe on some cold blue,,,Then a light wipe of oil.All of his guns were at the very least 25 years old at that time,,,They all looked like they were brand new.This was in contrast to my father,,,He said cleaning guns (anything) was a waste of time,,,Just a drop of oil here and there and they will last just as long.My Grandfather took care of every thing he had,,,His 15 year old truck looked brand new,,,And lasted for over 30 years.My Father's truck never got cleaned, washed, or waxed,,,It looked like a wreck after just a few years,,,Nothing my Father ever had lasted long.Which person do you think I should emulate."
Your dad on guns, your grandfather on cars Actually, probably neither, for me. As usual for lots of things, the correct answer probably lies inbetween the two extremes. While I admire your grandfather's attention to detail cleaning and re-bluing, etc, I don't have that kind of time, patience or mentality. OTOH, neither do I believe in abuse and neglect. Use 'em as they were intended and care for them reasonably. Even my "antiqued" guns - they may be old and worn on the outside, but like spankin' new on the inside--oiled and cleaned regularly with use.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
TailGator

Holster wear comes with being holstered. I can't say that I consider it desirable, but I don't mind it in a carry pistol because I accept it as an inevitable consequence of their use, like mileage, tire wear, and so on for a car.

I do have one pistol that is not a safe queen in that I enjoy shooting it, but which was purchased with a "pride of ownership" motivation. I try to keep it real nice. Other guns I clean to maintain functionality and don't worry about cosmetics.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

If I do not want wear on the finish of one of my guns I do not put it in a holster, and am careful about how it is cased. I do have a few that I inherited that are safe queens for a number of reasons I will not go into at this time. The same is true of a few rifles.

My carry guns have carry wear on them. Some of my rifles have dings, and scratches from riding in the truck, or going through the brush. It is like trying to keep a car in mint condition. If you want to keep it that way then it would not be a good idea to use it as a daily driver.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Master Blaster 2

If it is blue just get some Birchwood casidies blue cream and touch it up...easy.

Old November 9, 2012, 04:04 PM   #12
wayneinFL

Cars-

I haven't washed a car in years. Didn't seem to make sense when they usually had rust by the time I got them. Always changed the oil regularly. Can't remember a time I've sold a car that was less than 20 years old.

Guns-

I treat guns the same way, clean internally, light coat of oil on the outside. If they get some wear on the outside, that's just fine with me.
Old November 9, 2012, 04:10 PM   #13
Bob Wright

That is the reason I prefer blue/case hardened revolvers and oil finished wood grips.

I disdain plastic grips, stabalized wood, and laminated wood.

Use, but not abuse.

Bob Wright
Old November 10, 2012, 12:39 AM   #14
carprivershooter

Most of my weapons are stainless steel or parkerized. The one blued weapon a S&W model 14-2 is kinda a safe queen. My 45 colt clone and ruger 44 mag Blackhawk are showing muzzle wear they are work weapon. My stainless are my carry weapons. I like shinny guns, I am like a raccoon once I pick one up I can't open my hand to let go.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:51 AM   #15
9mmfan

love me some finish wear, so long as it's earned honestly. Or you obtain it with honest wear. Life leaves marks. If you work hard, you've earned that dirt. Ain't no shame in that. I wish my carry G19 was a little more beat up, but I know it will get there.
Old November 11, 2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Wear happens. I take care of my guns but I also use them. With use comes some scars. Without picking up a few scars, you really haven't lived. I feel the same way about my guns and a scar or two is a fact of life and doesn't bother me and adds a little character.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:52 AM   #17
mrt949

It adds character .NO SAFE QUEENS .
Old November 11, 2012, 11:32 AM   #18
camsdaddy

I purchased a model 13 3" k frame that had never been fired. I had to thin long and hard to decide if I would carry. I knew carrying it would decrease value. I realized my family is of more value and today that gun is not only being carried but in a Theis holster which is leather and kydex.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:24 PM   #19
buck460XVR

Quote:
Wear happens. I take care of my guns but I also use them. With use comes some scars. Without picking up a few scars, you really haven't lived. I feel the same way about my guns and a scar or two is a fact of life and doesn't bother me and adds a little character.

Same here. My guns are tools that get used and using them regularly means they sooner or later show some kind of wear. Iffin I was just gonna look at 'em, I probably woulda just bought pictures.........
Old November 11, 2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Dragline45

I am not a fan of wear but I accept it especially on a carry gun. I prefer stainless because I can restore it factory new on my own, but on blued guns there is always the option to send it back to the factory for refinishing at a nominal price.

Quote:
love me some finish wear, so long as it's earned honestly. Or you obtain it with honest wear
This is a good point. Holster and carry wear I can deal with, but idiot scratches whether done on my part or an idiot friends I cannot, and usually have to take care of right away or it eats away at me.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Skans

Regarding wear on a firearm: On an ugly carry gun, I just try not to abuse it and not worry too much about it - e.g. Ruger LC9 (actually holds up nicely)

All other "non-carry" guns - finish wear is never desirable and always diminishes the value of the gun. Whether it's a Python, 1st Gen Colt SAA or an HK P7M13 - no one is going to like finish wear.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:41 PM   #22
rodfac

Bluing wear (or what ever finish your piece came with) from constant holster constitutes honorable scarring. Rust is not. That, my friends, is neglect. JMHO, Rodfac
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:40 AM   #23
TheRaskalKing

There's a difference between a gun being a workhorse and a gun being abused. I love well worn in items in general, things that are tough, durable, and have seen a lot of "action." Accordingly, I won't mind when my EDC USP starts to get some holster wear. Idiot marks aren't ok though.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:05 PM   #24
aarondhgraham

The only thing I can't understand,,,

The only thing I can't understand,,,
Is why so many people deride those of us,,,
Who want to keep their guns looking nice and blue.

It's like they look at blue-metal wear as a badge of honor,,,
And those of us who maintain our finishes,,,
As effete snobs instead of "gunmen".

It's really not a big deal,,,
I just don't understand their motivation to ridicule other gun owners.

It's kind of like that old 80's saying,,,
"Real Men Don't Eat Quiche".

B-S I cry,,,
Not only do I eat Quiche,,,
I make a mean one with bacon and sharp cheddar.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 13, 2012, 09:55 PM   #25
C5rider

Hey Aaron, I hear ya!

I've seen folk with trucks that if they aren't beaten half to death, "they ain't worth havin." There's a certain mentality to each camp. For me, the best situation is to have the "mud-hole monster" for when it's time to get down and dirty and a Sunday go-to-meetin' ride for when I'm wearin' my whites.

To keep it on guns, did you ever notice that those really nice pieces of art (firearms) have a hard time making one trip in a holster without a scratch. But those workhorses can go for years with nary a mark!