The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 08:29 PM   #26
roaddog28

A Ruger Single Six for me. Hands down. I own one and love it.
Howard
Old October 10, 2012, 10:15 PM   #27
Rainbow Demon

I like my Single Six, be hard to beat the Ruger .22 Revolvers.

I had one of the early production Bearcats and I'll pass along my experiance with it, in case anyone runs across one of these and finds it won't shoot a lick.

My Bearcat was so innaccurate you'd have a hard time hitting the ground with it if you dropped it.
Cylinder timing was perfect, yet it spit lead in my face at every shot even held at arms length.
I ended up taking it back to the gunshop where I'd bought it.

Then a few years back I found out why this revolver acted up the way it did. Ruger's spotty quality control had struck again.
Turns out many Bearcats left the factory without having a forcing cone cut in the barrel. The bullets were being shaved by the raw ends of the lands.

So if you find one of these early Bearcats going cheap because the owner can't hit with it, all you have to do is cut a forcing cone, then it should be just fine.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:55 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

mt single six is the best money I ever spent o a gun. Got it used off gunbroker.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:46 AM   #29
west5757

The Ruger's are great guns. I have a Single Six that I loved to shoot until I bought a Single Ten. Everything about that gun is great.

I will say this though...My cousin has a Heritage and it's quality and overall look does not compare to the Ruger but it is a nail driver. I thought it was just that he had shot it a lot and was good with it until I shot. I've tried to buy it from him ever since. It is a great shooting gun and would be perfect for riding in the truck.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:19 AM   #30
Brian48

Can't comment on the Heritage as I've never fired one. It's probably a fine gun for the money. All I can say is that I bought my Ruger SS 20+ years ago and it's one of those guns that I would never even think of selling off. The quality is there to last a lifetime and I hope my kids or grandkids (hopefully) will enjoy it as much as I have.

It's worth it to spend a little more, although admittedly, I got lucky and picked up mine LNIB from a pawn shop off base for $125. Even 20 years ago, this was a heck of a bargain.
Old October 16, 2012, 12:34 PM   #31
pete2

Save your money and get the Ruger. I've shot the Heritage and it shot ok but not very well made, it doesn't compare with the Ruger.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:20 PM   #32
Obambulate

I think if I was in the market, I'd look at the Single Ten.
Old October 16, 2012, 05:22 PM   #33
damienph

22 single action

I think that you should save you money and get a ruger Single Six. I've fired the Heritage and for the money, they are ok but they absolutely do not compare to a Ruger. I bought my son one of the FIE Texas Ranger 3" curved butt revolvers back in 1988 because at the time, I couldn't afford to get him a Ruger Bearcat that he really wanted.

The FIE revolvers are the same as the Heritage and I have to say that his has been fired many thousands of times since I bought it and it is still hanging in there.

This is a pic that I found on the net of the Heritage, my son's 23 year old FIE looks EXACTLY like this one. I would take a picture of his but he lives in South Carolina and I live in KS so...

My Single SIx that I paid less than the sticker price on the Heritage three years ago.

Save up for a used Ruger, you won't regret it.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:54 PM   #34
FM12

What CajunBass said. Better to shoot now than wish u could.