The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 3, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1
RPS

Savage Model 24-S

I have a Savage Model 24-S 'Over / Under' Combination 22LR & 20 GA Rifle/Shotgun No. 3027104 w original box. I have owned this firearm since I was a teenager -- it probably came to me in the early 60s.

I have two specific questions about this Model 24:

a) Insofar as I can tell, this firearm is not marked with a specific serial number. However, there is a label on the original box that shows a "No. 3027104". I'm not sure if this is a serial number or some sort of model designation -- I would greatly appreciate any clarification on that particular point that might be possible.

b) I also would be highly interested in learning the date of manufacture of this particular firearm.

Beyond those two questions, I am interested in obtaining some general feedback from the knowledgeable members of this forum about both the condition of this particular firearm and and an estimate of its market value.

If any additional photographs or information would be helpful, please let me know what you need.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone cares to provide.

Robert

Savage 02.jpg

Savage 03.jpg

Savage 04.jpg
Old May 3, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
johnbt

Age is a hard question when it comes to these guns. Too many models and too few factory lists.

Look at what the Savage collectors FAQ #3 says.

www.savage24.com & click on FAQ page.

Savage isn't saying and serial numbers were not required until the federal law changed in 1968.

Savage/Stevens double barreled shotguns made between '49 and '68 have a letter in a circle on the bottom behind the hinge pin in front of the trigger guard, but I don't know if all of the Model 24 guns did or not.

I owned one in the early '60s, but mine was a .22WMR/.410.

Okay, on the FAQ page there's a link marked Stevens / Savage date codes. The letter in a circle is probably going to be found on the bottom behind the hinge pin and in front of the trigger guard.

Value? I'd call it 99% if it's all as nice as it looks at first glance. I haven't kept up with what they're going for on line.

John
Old May 3, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3
johnbt

http://www.gunsamerica.com/938372140...4_Series_S.htm

Here's a similar one that was advertised for $449. I like yours a lot more.

John
Old May 3, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4
johnbt

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussi...article=37351;

Here's a list of models by a guy who owns 40+ of them.

Btw, a Model 24S like yours is more valuable than the Model 24 Series S. The difference is that the 24S is older and has the side lever.

The price is going up, but I don't by how much.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:58 PM   #5
RPS

John,

Thank you for all of this information - it's very helpful. I'm grateful for your assistance.

I attach an image of the area of this Model 24 "behind the hinge pin and in front of the trigger guard" -- I don't see any indication of a "letter in a circle".

BTW, any idea what the "No. 3027104" is all about?

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage 11.jpg (101.2 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by RPS; May 4, 2012 at 06:32 PM.