The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 30, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Duzell

new to the site but i have quick questions

hello i go by Duzell or duz and im new to the site

anyway , i have shot since childhood with my father (not hunting but competition or firing ranges), i have used the family gun (dont know what it is), an m1 grand, m14, and some Swiss rifles (sks )
also hand guns: 1911 , snub nose , magnum
so im not new to shooting or guns (just getting that out of the way)

back on track , i just recently purchased a 91/31 mosin nagant from big 5 , has its old military accessories( bayonet, packs, ect) with it and it was 109 $ and the guns in good condition, stock looks good, serial numbers match and its covered in that waxy stuff that keeps them from rusting.

i will be receiving in in 10 days from big five
i am going to take it to a gun smith to inspect the rifle before i shoot , and get it looked at (see if there is any defects and what not) , then im going to due a couple of practice shoots to get a feel of the rifle

due to it being a cheap rifle i plan to customize it a bit till i feel comfy with its (look , feel , accuracy, reliability)

i plan on getting the Monte Carlo stock and the rifle stock cover that carries extra rounds, a muzzle break , stripper clips , and a pistol scope ( or long relief scope) with light up cross hair, shorten the barrel (its to long and causes drag from what i can tell).

that is my basic goal for this gun eventually
this is the look im trying for basically ( may get custom engraving or something later , like my name or something)

im having issues locating a muzzle break for the 91/31 rifle but m44 are everywhere, the scope i found but the mounts i keep looking at people say suck or are faulty so can some one help please?
Old October 30, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Bmanowske

I have a m44 myself! It shoots nice with American brass shells, instead of Russian 7.62 x 54! The scope mount I have is farther back on the reciver, and The bolt handel is bent down to allow for the scope eyepiece! If you mount a scope like the picture, use a tactical rifle scope with a longer eye relief, or you will need to stretch your neck to get a good view of your target over the breach! Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by Bmanowske; October 31, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:36 PM   #3
ks_wayward_son

That's great, Duzell (aka Duz). Firearms are like vehicles in that they can be used in a basic, no-frills package all the way up to a customized one-of-a-kind instrument that screams "This is MY gun!" Enjoy it any way you wish...the only requirement is that you have fun and be safe. Welcome to TFL and keep us all posted on your project.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

I take it you do not have the equipment, nor experience to do the barrel work on your 91/30 yourself. The cost of the stock, scope, mount, break, and labor having a gunsmith do the work will far exceed what you could buy a decent used sporting rifle for. The Mosin Nagant 91/30 is an excellent military surplus rifle as is, and a lot of fun to shoot as it was built.
If you want to do just a quick "add on" job with the stock, scope, and scout mount, you will have an OK sporter at best if that is your goal. However, the safety is not very user friendly in that application, and safety upgrades are also costly. The barrel isn't too long, and won't cause "drag" It will probably be much more accurate if you leave it alone. Also, there really isn't a need for a break. Learn to shoot it properly with it firmly to your shoulder, and you will find the recoil is not as bad as those who shoot it sloppily say it is.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 30, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Firearms are like vehicles in that they can be used in a basic, no-frills package all the way up to a customized one-of-a-kind
Yea, like a '64 Rambler American street rod.

Don't get me wrong. If he wants to build a sporter out of a 91/30 that's fine, but it can be done without the expensive smith work on it.

Here is even a little help with his mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Mosin-N.../dp/B000R7872Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGATiR6jnJk

Last edited by Cheapshooter; October 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
SIGSHR

And we hard core milsurp types wince at the idea of an old warrior being "modified", even with drop in or bolt on parts which can quickly be replaced with original parts for "retoration".
Old October 30, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
And we hard core milsurp types wince at the idea of an old warrior being "modified", even with drop in or bolt on parts which can quickly be replaced with original parts for "retoration".

I was just trying to be nice to a newbie on the forum by not mentioning that! No reason to deflate his balloon with the "Bubba" word
Old October 31, 2011, 08:01 AM   #8
jsmaye

Quote:
The operative phrase here being "hard-core" - most of us don't care what you do to your rifle. And I've never heard of anyone raising eyebrows over replaceable parts before.

Quote:
...some Swiss rifles (sks )...
Those two don't go together...
Old October 31, 2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Duzell

From what I can tell the mods I've seen are mere bolt ons so I plan to swap parts when I shoot from classical to sport and vice versa. I know about the long eye releif, that's why I was going to look at pistol Scopes or something. This is going to be just a fair gun nothing to crazy and I'm not going to go overboard and get stuff. I know a smith and plan to have him check out the gun. After that shoot it as is for a while and then slowly buy the accessories. And as far as kick is concerned I've shot m1 since I was a kid and I do fair shooting with m14 good groups. In used to kick and the bruises that come with it after long shooting hours. This gun is cheap and basically going to be my play gun as its the first I own personally.
so the idea is to keep it so I can swap between a classic rifle to a more competitive rifle when the mood suits me. If I want to do more competition I'd get a better rifle with better accuracy, but the mosin nagant is a reliable rifle with fair accuracy. I herd it was the Rifle used by the Russian top sniper in ww2 is this true?
And I don't know what the Swiss is my dad always calls it "the Swiss" , but he has an Sks so I thought that's what it was so sorry I'm not really gun savy yet I just shoot em.
bman what is the bullet you shooting instead of the 17?
And the muzzle break was just to help with gun rise I haven't shot it yet so I have no clue what needs to be done till I shoot it. I shoot classical rifles and modern rifles alike bit it dosnt seem like the nagant will be very pricy for a classic. And I don't plan to sell it. So any recommend dations on parts or things to look out for with the gun would be appreciated . It seemed to be a very simple setup so I don't forsee any issues with the parts. Ill post pics as soon as possible of its current state when I get it next Tues and of what came. With it and how it feels mechanically
Old October 31, 2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Bmanowske

bman what is the bullet you shooting instead of the 17?

Where did you get "17" I shoot the cheap Russion loads now since the Amarican Brass shells are a bit more expensive! I have a 7400 Rem. 30/06 for hunting now, but I would get 1.5" groups at 100Yds with open sites using Brass and onlr 3" groups using steel milatary surplus FMJ (full metal jacket)
Old October 31, 2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Barber2678

Quote:
Amarican Brass
"American" maybe?
Old October 31, 2011, 06:03 PM   #12
Bmanowske

Woops! Slip of the finger! American!
Old October 31, 2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Duzell

My bad, phone is smarttexting .. its annoying
I was asking what brand / bullet your using over the standard 7.62
as you stated above.
I herd steel jackets work well in the nagant is this true?

Last edited by Duzell; October 31, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old November 1, 2011, 04:25 AM   #14
Bmanowske

They work fine, I never had a misfire! Just like I said my grouping isn't as tight. Up here in Wisconsin I got my M44 for $69.00 the synthetic stock was about $30, and the military surplus shells are about $6.00 for 25 rounds, where Remington or Winchester are about $10.00 or $15.00.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Don P

Some say the rail that is installed in place of the rear sight will loosen up from shooting because the material it is made from. here is a place to look at for parts, www.tickbitesupply.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 1, 2011, 08:14 AM   #16
jsmaye

Quote:
I herd steel jackets work well in the nagant is this true?
Steel-cased rounds are sometimes coated in varnish, which can gum up a receiver over time. You'll see a lot of posts about Mosins with sticky bolts - accumulated varnish is usually the culprit.
Old November 1, 2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Duzell

Seems like the tri mount would be great for the mosin
Ill try the brass I don't use steel for the m14 which is what I'm best in accuracy with at about 200 yards(range I got to isn't big I think 500 farthest I can shoot accurately )
Is there a cheap good scope that is shock proof and has illuminated sights? Just a basic for now would be good. Ill get a better one later when I get more cash, I think if I get the Monte Carlo stock I need a hand guard for the barrel so if I try to grab front I don't get burned.
is there any good stocks that are better for the nagant?
I usually shoot standing having the strap around my arm as support. I think ill try more prone shooting with the nagant till I get comfy with it

is there a bipod for the front of the monet carlo thats good to use ?

Last edited by Duzell; November 2, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:05 AM   #18
Duzell

OK this is odd big.five will not release the gun to me unless I have a gunlock that's less than 30 days old if not I have to buy their 25$ locks. I have gunlocks to spare but they are old and won't accept it. Can they really do this to me? Seems kinda messed up
Old November 1, 2011, 05:37 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
cheap good scope
That's called an oxymoron! Try "reasonable priced" scope.
Cheap, meaning $100 or less, and reasonably reliable enough to be worth the trouble of mounting it just doesn't exist! Not to say you have to go with the top of the line, but something of reasonably good reputation, and quality.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:07 PM   #20
Bmanowske

Good ole Walmart has a 40mm scope with rings and a red/green illuminated retical for about $70. I don't know about the shock resistance, but its a nice scope for the money!
Old November 2, 2011, 10:50 AM   #21
Duzell

There is one on amazon for 49.99 seems to be OK