The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 12, 2011, 10:30 PM   #26
mbquimby

I do, kind of. I have a habit of sliding my finger over the slide when I adjust my holster or just desk the need to make sure the gun is still there...I know it is, obviously, but it's nice to give it a tape from time to time. I carry an DE which has a great loaded chamber indicator that is super easy to feel.
Old June 12, 2011, 11:17 PM   #27
Steviewonder1

Yes, I do with my twin G-19's. My Colt Python is always fully loaded so no need to check.
Old June 12, 2011, 11:32 PM   #28
Nnobby45

I'm very much in the habit of checking my chamber to verify it's condition.

I realize that packing an unloaded gun around all day has never happened to so many on the board who hand out advice, but I check my chamber on a regular basis.

And yes, I use a simple method that can easily and quickly feel the round in the dark.

If others feel that they couldn't possibly have, somehow, forgot to make their pistol ready and that "it's always loaded-no need to check", than that's their call.

I suspect such individuals would jump out of air planes without checking their parachute harness or static line, because they're always ready to go. Or drive off without checking their trailer hitch, 'cause it was ok last time they used it.

In addition, for those who dry fire a lot with snap caps, a visual check before you leave the house is a good idea, since an A-Zoom in the chamber wouldn't be of much use and just feeling the round wouldn't detect it.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old June 13, 2011, 12:08 AM   #29
40caljustice

I know my gun is loaded but it just feels a little reassuring to rub my hand across the LCI. I even press it firmly so if it was unloaded but stuck I would know. This is after a couple visual checks which are the safest and most surefire way to know if your firearm is loaded.

I remember my grandpa saying that the only way he unloads his gun is a few seconds before a reload. His stays loaded 24/7. Mine typically do also unless I'm cleaning it or showing it.
Old June 13, 2011, 06:16 AM   #30
Nnobby45

Quote:
Mine typically do also unless I'm cleaning it or showing it.
Ah, yes. And prudent it would be to check it before you arm yourself to make sure you loaded it back up after you cleaned it.

Our minds will play tricks on us. We'll start to do something then get distracted--such as when the phone rings--and our minds "remember" doing it, when in fact we only started to, but never did. That's happened to each and every one of us, though maybe not with loaded guns----yet.

A high % of NDs happen after one finishes dry firing, loads the gun back up, sets it back down, then when the gun owner comes back from doing something else and sees the gun sitting there, he picks it up to resume "dry" firing and the gun goes bang.

We should ALWAYS check the gun when we pick it up after it's been sitting to verify it's in the condition we want it in.

I always thought that was gun safety 101, and checking our life saving equipment to make sure it's loaded is just part of that.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:31 AM   #31
JerryM

I sure would hate to have to start checking my gun in the dark when I thought an intruder was attempting entry or had already entered.

Again, I leave it loaded and never unload it except for the occasional check and clean. That is not even once a month. My bedside gun is a Mak. It is in a fanny pack beside my bed, and if I had to roll off the bed I do not want to start checking to see if it loaded. The fanny pack is unzipped, but available if I get a knock on the door.

Anyway, I suspect none of us will ever really need to repel an intruder in the middle of the night. At least not me with my security doors.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 13, 2011, 03:38 PM   #32
WC145

I don't own any guns with loaded chamber indicators that you can feel.
I keep my carry guns loaded but always double check visually before I put one into use, either for carry or nightstand duty.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old June 13, 2011, 08:02 PM   #33
Nnobby45

Quote:
I sure would hate to have to start checking my gun in the dark when I thought an intruder was attempting entry or had already entered.
Good grief. If you're referring to my posts, I didn't mention any specific tactics with regards to when and where you should do a chamber check. And certainly didn't suggest that the first thing you should do when Bubba breaks down your door at 3AM is grab your pistol and see if it's loaded.

Just saying that knowing how to quickly verify that your gun is loaded in daylight or dark is a simple and basic practice and useful in a number of circumstances.

It's taught in Farnum's courses to everyone--- newbies and experienced shooters alike. A smimple technique that works with any semi-auto on the planet.

OK, now tell me honestly, some of you "my gun's always loaded I don't need to check it" folks that if a Sheriff Deputy knocked on your day and said they were searching for two dangerous criminals in your neighborhood that you wouldn't verify that your pistol was loaded after you strapped it on. And then checked your long gun.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 13, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:08 PM   #34
Nitesites

Well, I haven't practiced this in low/no-light but am familiar with the loaded chamber indicators on my Glocks by tactile feel alone. All the rest of my handguns require press checking.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:32 PM   #35
cambeul41

RedNeckChris in post 16 --

Where did you earn your degree in psychology?

A lot of people have died because someone thought they knew a gun was unloaded. An unexpected click can be as bad as an unexpected bang.

My gun is always loaded with one in the chamber -- but I check anyway. I see what the indicator says, then I verify. I don't compulsively check and when the dog-alarm goes off, I am thinking about other things. Do you have a problem with that?

If you always trust memory and never check, please stay on your side or the river.
Old June 13, 2011, 09:14 PM   #36
troy_mclure

nope, i know my guns are loaded.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old June 14, 2011, 09:51 AM   #37
TailGator

A convert of sorts

After following this thread, I found myself checking my LCI before holstering this morning. It wasn't in the dark, and I knew what the result would be, but darn if you guys didn't affect my behavior.
Old June 14, 2011, 11:09 AM   #38
C0untZer0

I've actually never checked the LCI on my pistol.

The reason I asked, is that if you go to Springfield Armory's website - they highlight their XD features - Visual/Tactile Loaded Chamber Indicator & Visual/Tactile Striker Status Indicator.

So that made me wonder if there is tactical thinking / training SOPs around the LCI features.
Old June 30, 2011, 01:07 AM   #39
TylerD45ACP

I practice pulling the slide back from underneath kind of pressing it while aiming at the threat. Then I use my trigger finger to feel the round in the chamber and let it fall to battery.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:00 AM   #40
booker_t

I ignore the LCI.

Quote:
..less complicated choice in weapon (muzzle loader maybe?).
Yeah, nobody has ever poured a double load, or loaded a second on top.
Old June 30, 2011, 12:23 PM   #41
moose_nukelz

Nope, about the only time mine is unloaded is during a mag change when it runs dry or when I am cleaning it
Old July 1, 2011, 05:47 AM   #42
dabo

I have no less than 5 hand guns tactically placed and hidden in my house. If I need one, it's right now, so all are locked and loaded. No need to check... Besides, Only the Taurus 24-7 has an indicator...
Old July 1, 2011, 08:32 AM   #43
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The Press Check Debate

We thought this might make a great topic for a Point/Counterpoint feature in S.W.A.T. Magazine. It appears in the July 2011 Issue. Provided here as food for thought.

The Press Check Debate

Regards-
Rich Lucibella
Old July 1, 2011, 09:38 AM   #44
redstategunnut

I pay no attention whatsoever to the LCI.

My guns stay loaded, and before they go in the holster they get a press check.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:21 AM   #45
Hog Red

you bet, but i prefer the wife do it.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:37 AM   #46
Mal H
Staff

That article Rich mentioned (by Pat Rogers) is excellent, and gives about as simple an answer as there is for why to check (in light or in dark) - "Be sure, always."

Unless you've checked when you pick up your handgun, you aren't totally sure. You may think you are, but you aren't - period

Rogers gives an aircraft analogy which does apply because in the case of both flying and handgun handling, people can lose their lives if the handler isn't sure, always. For example, you always check for water in the fuel/carb, you don't skip it this time simply because you checked last time.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:34 AM   #47
Boatme98

Why would I? Every gun on me or within my reach is chambered. Always.
Old July 1, 2011, 03:03 PM   #48
markj

Quote:
Does anyone practice feeling their loaded chamber indicator in the dark?
No. Hammer up = loaded and ready to deploy
Old July 1, 2011, 07:53 PM   #49
Manco

For me, loaded chamber indicators are absolutely worthless and get no use whatsoever. Whenever I unload my defensive pistol for any reason, I always reload it before putting it away for immediate use, either in a holster or the pistol safe. Basically it's always loaded unless I need to unload it for a specific reason (e.g. cleaning), whereupon I'd do a press check for safety rather than relying on some device. During an actual emergency, I know that it will be loaded, so there is no need (and there may be no time anyway) to redundantly check. If for some reason I'm suddenly unsure, then I'd do a press check whenever I feel like it, but never during an emergency.

By the way, the same goes for cocking indicators (for guns that don't have external hammers). Unless I've field-stripped it for cleaning or deliberately deactivated it for some other reason, my defensive pistol is always cocked, period. Unlike all too many people I've seen, I do not have a habit of decocking pistols for no reason, so I don't worry about it--if it's in a holster or the pistol safe, then it's cocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H
Unless you've checked when you pick up your handgun, you aren't totally sure. You may think you are, but you aren't - period
Admittedly, I still have a habit of doing unnecessary press checks whenever transferring my pistol to a holster or pistol safe, just to be sure. I chalk it up to having a mild case of obsessive-compulsive disorder , but it doesn't hurt. That said, I will never check during an emergency, when I have other things to worry about (if it doesn't fire for any reason, then I'd rack the slide anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H
Rogers gives an aircraft analogy which does apply because in the case of both flying and handgun handling, people can lose their lives if the handler isn't sure, always. For example, you always check for water in the fuel/carb, you don't skip it this time simply because you checked last time.
Well, with airplanes any number of things could be screwed up by other people, during flight, or even by the simple passage of time, and generally I don't think that they're kept in a fully ready condition at all times. Defensive pistols are different in that they are kept in a ready condition virtually all of the time (or should be), nothing changes over time by itself (i.e. the cartridge in the chamber isn't going to gradually leak out ), and access to them is tightly controlled (or should be). I don't think the analogy stands up for defensive pistols--any old firearm that has been lying around in the open for a while or hasn't been handled for some time, yes, but not a personal sidearm that is properly handled.

Last edited by Manco; July 1, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old July 1, 2011, 07:57 PM   #50
UncleLoodis

Really?

Sounds like a double entendre to me.

Regardless, no, I don't practice.