The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2011, 12:04 AM   #1
MrDontPlay

Security barrel with rifle sights?

I'm kinda new to shot guns and I have a maverick 88 with a super long barrel and a bead sight. It also has the vented top rib. I wanting to get the 18.5" security barrel to make it more menuverable around the house in a HD situation. Would it make any sense to get fiber optic rifle sights with this barrel? Why do most shotguns only have a bead sight?
Old March 28, 2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Have you shot a lot with a bead sight?
Old March 28, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
rantingredneck

A bead sight is generally faster on target at close range defensive distances. Rifle sights or ghost rings give more precision for slug placement at longer ranges.

For strictly home defense use the rifle sights aren't necessary. They are nice on a gun that will be used for deer hunting or for LE use where they may have to engage a target at slug distances vs. across the room buckshot distances.

FWIW, I like rifle sights, but it's more due to the dual purpose nature of most of my shotguns (hunting/defense).

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 28, 2011, 09:47 AM   #4
jmr40

^ What he said. My dedicated HD shotgun is an 870 with a 20" rifle sights on it. It is helpful when shooting slugs at longer ranges, but at HD ranges I'd not feel handicapped in the least if it only had a bead.