The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 7, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

Oklahoma Hog Hunting

So its last minute but wasn't sure if anybody had any suggestions for a January hog hunts for 2013? Looking for like a 2 day deal just impromptu per say.

This will be my first time and am a bit green on these.

Thanks all
Old August 7, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Mayor Al

First of all What kind of a Hog Hunt are you doing? Public land stalking? Game Ranch? Private Farm with stalking or ATVs? Dogs? Guns? Bows? Knives? Bare Hands?

It is hard to give advice without some idea of what you are planning.

A 2 day (one night) gun hunt on a game ranch is usually pretty tame, with "almost" 100% results. All you need is $$$$$ and your gun and ammo.

Tell us more of your plan and hopefully we can offer some suggestions.
Old August 18, 2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Countertop

Well, not sure about the OP but I'll be in the Altus area weekend after Labor Day dove hunting.

Im gonna head out a day early. There is a big WMA just north of Lake Altus/Quartz Mtn.

I'd like to go hog/coyote hunting while out there. Anyone know if there's Hogs in there (maybe in the river bottom??) how about coyotes?

Any ranchers in the area looking to get rid of hogs?

How has the drought impacted wildlife there?
Old August 20, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4
QuarterHorse

Oh man so sorry this fell. For some reason I didn't get a notice of response.

I have my hunt booked for a semi-guided hunt on a ranch. Brining a .308 and carrying a 45 colt SA on my hip as a "just because". Should be a blast for a few of us. Hunting two days and staying two nights.

I'm pretty stoked on the trip, first time hunting anything out of the state of Iowa.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Mayor Al

We did a semi-guide hunt in Texas last year. It cost a bit more than I anticipated because the place "nickled and dimed" us for everything we did. 2 adults (seniors) and a teenaged boy got 5 hogs in the 3 day two night hunt (actually 2 nights and one full day between---the rest was check-in and check-out time). The total for the trip was about $3000.

It was OK, for a first time it did the freezer-filling stuff and the folks at the ranch treated us well.

Next month My wife and I are meeting another couple at a game ranch in Missouri for a Hog Hunt. This one has ALL the little sur-charges and fees covered by ONE PRICE. Not really 'cheap', but at least we know up front what we are getting into. Price includes One 200 lb or larger Razorback Hog per hunter plus one Axis deer Doe (average size 125 lb) for the ladies. All critters, dressed and butchered, vaccum sealed cuts then frozen for transport home.

Cost for the two of us is about $1500 plus our gas and one night in a Motel before entering the camp in the morning of the first day. The Texas Hunt added 2000 miles of driving and 4 nights in motels to the costs, so the shorter trip will be a money-saver. The Texas ranch used pretty primitive 'bunk-rooms' for the guys sleeping quarters. Same kind of eating rooms. OK but not motel level at all. The shower room and Latrine was a seperate building. Plenty of water, but concrete slab floor and scorpions here and there, made it a Guys Only kind of camp.

Missouri offers a much more comfortable lodge and cabins. I need a walk-in shower and grab-rails in the latrine, and this place offers that. plus the dining hall looks like a restaurant, not a picnic area. I will report back on what we find the reality turns out to be.

Our hunt this time is fully guided. We hope that improves our take a bit. The Texas ranch put us out for self-guided walks and then in a blind. The Missouri folks have a guide to assist in helping you find the wallows and get the hog you want. I am pretty limited in my mobility, so I will probably shoot from a truck or blind. But my wife wants to to walk and stalk a bit, and will do it her way for her Deer hunt .

I haven't narrowed my primary choice of weapons yet. I am taking a Winchester Model 100 in .308 and my Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39mm. Jan will use her Ruger 44 magnum Carbine. We have zero'd the guns at 100 yards.

When are you going out?
Old August 21, 2012, 11:14 AM   #6
QuarterHorse

Thanks for the reply.

I have our hunt booked at an outfitter, the fee is two nights lodging, two hogs, guided hunt. We'll butcher our own and quarter it up on sight and get it into coolers.

I've seen pictures of the lodge, has a kitchen and everything to make meals while we're there. This is a guys trip so I'm not ultra worried about how comfy it is, however from what I can tell it doesn't look too bad.

The fees seem reasonable for sure, I'll put a tally on it when I get back. Our dates are 1/10 and 1/11 next year for the hunt. I'm getting pretty anxious and starting to look into some different hunting clothing to adapt to the different climate/style of hunting.

We'll probably drag a small enclosed trailer with totes to haul back our prizes. I figure we'll have a bit of meat with 4 guys at least getting one pig each. It will also let us get our gear spread out etc....

I may bring options as far as what I hunt with. By that I mean if within the first short time I bag something with my bolt gun, I may snag the muzzle loader for the second one, or see how close I can get and nab one with my Ruger Vaquero. The fee includes two pigs.

www.nomercyhunting.com is the outfitter we're using. Anybody have any hunts with these guys?

Getting anxious for sure!

Last edited by QuarterHorse; August 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM.