The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 11, 2009, 02:02 PM   #1
RK65

Shooting my 1860 Colt (repl) picture

I have been shooting C&B revolvers for a couple of years now here in Colorado, but never at a cowboy shoot.
Last saturday was the first time, I was the only one with Percussion Revolvers that day. It was fun.
I thought I would show my favorite Picture that a nice peer took of me. Exactly the moment of the flash(between the cylinder and barrel that is). The pistol I am shooting is a pietta 1860 and my home made holster on my left is carring an Uberti Walker.

Robert K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flashpic.jpg (153.1 KB, 420 views)
Old May 11, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
grymster2007

Nice photo! I love that stuff!
Old May 11, 2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Smokin' gun

I posted earlier on another topic about hammer hand springs breaking. I got no replies but I think the 1860 has two screws(around the hammer on eithe side) that allow you to remove and put grease in them. That's great! Don't put oil--black powder solvent grease as Thompsons lube or breach plug grease. If I'm wrong---let me know--I operate a blackpowder shop and cap and ball revolvers biggest problem, I've found is the hammer hand spring breaking. I like the 1860's the best.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Smokin' gun

And by the way---GREAT PIC---The screws are just above the trigger (of course you knew that) The 1860 I'm referring to is the Navy 36C------we have some colts in the shop but can't sell them because they're so pricy.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:30 PM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I think the 1860 has two screws(around the hammer on eithe side) that allow you to remove and put grease in them.
If your talking about the four screw models those are for supporting the shoulder stock. I suppose you could pack grease in the frame, although shoulder stocks fit the three screw repros fine. I have been lucky and have only had one open top break a hand spring. I drilled the frame and use a Ruger plunger and spring to apply forward pressure on the hand. That eliminates the problem.
Welcome to the forum, there's another 'smokin gun' screen name here, keep an eye on your whiskey when he's around.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Smokin_Gun

The Smokin' Gun...

Quote:
I posted earlier on another topic about hammer hand springs breaking.
Did Somebody like my Name???

There can Be only one...says Gaven McCloud of the Clan McCloud...

Where'd ya get the name ...I've had mine for a spell...
And yes I am on several differant Forums.
:O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 12, 2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Fingers McGee

Best way to prevent hand springs from breaking is to clean the burrs and roughness from the channel in the frame. After I broke a couple in one pistol, I checked and found the channel that the spring rode in had a couple burrs from the machining that werent cleaned out. Once I got rid of them & stoned the channel smooth, I quit breaking springs. I've got a couple 1861 Navies with almost 1000 round on them that I deburred & stoned the channels on before I ever shot them and haven't broken a spring yet.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 12, 2009, 12:37 AM   #8
Smokin_Gun

Folks Please be aware that my name is Smokin_Gun without the ( in' ) apostraphy...I have a shadow in here... LoL! :O)
Old May 12, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
arcticap

Thanks for sharing the nice picture!

There's also many Saints named Anthony, but there's only 1 Smokin_Gun that lives in the Mojave!

St. Anthony the Hermit
St. Anthony Ishida
St. Anthony Kauleas
Bl. Anthony Kimura
Bl. Anthony Kiun
Bl. Anthony Manzi
St. Anthony Mary Claret
St. Anthony Mary Gianelli
St. Anthony Mary Pucci
St. Anthony Mary Zaccaria
Bl. Anthony Middleton
St. Anthony Nam-Quynh
Bl. Anthony Neyrot
Bl. Anthony of Korea
St. Anthony of Saxony
Bl. Anthony of St. Bonaventure
Bl. Anthony of Tuy
St. Anthony of Padua
St. Anthony Pechersky
St. Anthony Peter Dich
St. Anthony Primaldi
Bl. Anthony Sanga
Bl. Anthony Turner
Bl. Anthony Vom

http://www.catholic.org/saints/stindex.php
Old May 12, 2009, 11:32 AM   #10
Smokin_Gun

Thanks Arcticap... :O)
Old May 12, 2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Smokin' gun

Gee Smoking Gun--I'm loss for words here. We have a black powder shop called the "Smokin' Gun" I just entered it with no knowledge of any posters here. Do you want me to change my name? Anyway, thanks for the advise from all on hammer hand springs. But--the 1860 NAVY 36 has one crew on eithe side of the frame above the trigger screw that appears to support nothing except to allow lubrication. We have a bunch of C&B revolvers including 2 &3 generation colts. Again, I do not think oil should go in these parts unless you know of some special brand--because it is not strong enough for lubricating hot parts after firing many rounds and will not protect weak links like "hammer springs" I also do not use olive oil or any of that stuff---it's for cooking! I like the Thompsons breach plug grease for black powder and the T7 lube. But we got all kind of stuff. I guess it's like making chili--everyone knows the basic ingredients but like to do it their own way. Back to hammer hand springs---it is a weak link and the reason I like the 1860 Navy is because if you only field dress your gun you can at least remove those short screws for lubricating. I hate hammer hand springs breaking. Keep that stuff lubed! THanks again
Old May 12, 2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Smokin' gun

Oh by the way, the 1860's I'm talking about are the Uberti models. We don't have any 36 1860's by Pietta. Maybe Uberti added that feature. I know more about them than I do Piettas. I also think everyone is in too much worry about brass frames. Our 44 c Navy Piettas "Steel Frame" are tight and tough to break down. But these are the only Piettas I've broken down. The Brass frame Navy 44 Pietta {Did I spell that right?) which is cheaper has better action as far as cocking and cylinder rotation than the steel frame. The Gunnison confederate model is good. But- The Uberties are smooth. And yes burrs will not work too damn well against moving parts. Thanks for that post!
Old May 12, 2009, 08:19 PM   #13
long rider

OH O, Hey smokin i thought i was seeing bouble
Old May 12, 2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Smokin' gun

I snort black powder.

I notice the smoking gun is serious about his interest in the war against yankee agression LOL-- I'm from the south and have my great grandfather's "Paroled Prisoner's Pass" from Appomattox. our shop has some authenic Civil War relics including that release paper to medicine chests and newspaper--but I'm not here to endorse. Really!-I'm not. I'm here to learn and have fun from those that are few and far between. 99% of people that come in our store want AK7's ,9 mili's etc.--- and have no concept of percussion revolvers. The muzzleloaders on the racks are 50 c's and you get guys that come in with no teeth wearing bib overalls wanting a specially made 45Cal Kentucky long rifle and they only have enough money in their pockets for 5$ worth of gas to get their ass home.. Now--I love these guys---but they don't buy anything. I have this shop open cause I snort black powder too much!
Old May 13, 2009, 02:51 AM   #15
Smokin_Gun

Seein' how you asked

Quote:
Gee Smoking Gun--I'm loss for words here. We have a black powder shop called the "Smokin' Gun" I just entered it with no knowledge of any posters here. Do you want me to change my name?
Yes I would want you to change your name if you had the mind to...If I were a new member and chose a name that was the same as someone else's
in a Forum the had been around for a few years I would change it so as not to be confused with some yahoo like me :O)

Good to meet you no matter what you decide...
Old May 13, 2009, 07:28 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Quote:
some yahoo like me
Damn it, coffee on the keyboard again.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:47 AM   #17
grymster2007

I kinda like having two members with the same name... increases the odds of offending someone with my posts.

What was this thread about? Oh yeah, shootin' C&B. I've shot my 1858 a number of times, but I've never shot an 1860. I'll have to give that a try. Wish I had more time for that kinda stuff.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Smokin' gun

Okay Smokin Gun--I'll change my name if your buddies all agree. But you'll have to pick me out one. I entered this forum innocently not knowing that Smokin Gun was here. The Smokin' Gun is the name of our shop. So I just used it. By the way, a carnival just set up in front of our shop and all the carnies are going to buy our guns when they get paid:} They like the 1858 stainless steel 44 by Palmetto. I only have one but if i had 15 I'd be happy. They also like the Robert E Lee 1851 Navy Colt 1973 series in the wooden box. SEND ME GUNS TOMMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!! wishfull thinking I'm sure

Thanks Smoking Gun
Old May 13, 2009, 07:05 PM   #19
broknprism

Drilled the frame?

Not to sound like an idiot, but why drill a frame to deal with a broken hammer spring? Why not just strip the gun and replace the spring?

I just bought two 2nd Gen Colts -- an 1860 and a 2nd Dragoon -- and I'm wondering if I should lay in a supply of small parts. I haven't shot these yet (raining here all the time) but I would like to be prepared for incidental wear, etc. Disassembly is easy enough, so why not just replace broken springs...?

(I know, I have a lot to learn.)
Old May 13, 2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Smokin' gun

No---unless those colts have already been fired. If not and you have the original boxes w/manuals attached--I'd not fire them. Hell, buy a brass frame for 220+/- and plink that one. Or spend a tad more for a pitta steel frame Those colts are collectibles and you probably paid a good price for them. I have a hard time finding them! I think they'll go up-upp in value.---don't you all agree-----------the smokin' gun "for now"
Old May 13, 2009, 08:16 PM   #21
grymster2007

Quote:
I'll change my name if your buddies all agree.
I'd like to count myself as one of Smokin_Gun's buddies, but a new name for you is gonna take some thought. How 'bout ol'_smoke_pole?

OK, OK.... I need some sleep...
Old May 13, 2009, 10:17 PM   #22
mykeal

Quote:
why drill a frame to deal with a broken hammer spring? Why not just strip the gun and replace the spring?
A weakness of the Colt SA design was the simple leaf spring that forces the hand forward against the back of the cylinder and into the cylinder notches so it doesn't slip out while turning the cylinder. The spring needs to be carefully and properly heat treated, otherwise it can become brittle and break prematurely. This was, and still is, a common failure.

It's a simple thing to replace the hand/spring assembly, but if you get a run of springs with poor heat treat it can be a bit costly and it is a real PITA. Ruger's design is much, much more reliable, using a coil spring and plunger. The coil spring is quite a bit more reliable. Once the Ruger design has been implemented hand spring failures are virtually unheard of.

Yes, replacing the Colt designed leaf spring is simple. Until you get tired of having done it several times. The Ruger design is simple to install and fixes the problem forever. Very tempting thing to do.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:50 PM   #23
Smokin_Gun

Smokin' gun that's mighty nice of ya to offer. Kinda hard to picka name for someone i barely know though...I can try, but if you come up with one first let me know so I don't hurt myself thinkin' :O) (Smokin_Gun is such a dang good name ya know) LoL!
Old May 14, 2009, 06:55 AM   #24
mykeal

How about "Smokin' Gunshop" or "Smokin' Gun Shop"?

"The Smokin' Gun Shop" (my personal favorite)

"A Smokin' Gun Shop" (multiple meanings)

Just donate my fee to the local animal rescue organization.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:06 AM   #25
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Just donate my fee to the local animal rescue organization.
Good man!