The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2009, 09:18 PM   #26
zippy13

Snobal

You're a big spender...

Yep, Bullseye is a powerful power. For punching paper, I've been loading my mid-range .38 S & W Spcl wad cutters with 2.7 grains for as long as I can remember. They're accurate and cycle the action of my S & W Master, Mod 52, flawlessly. For .357 Rem Mag cases, I up the ante to 2.8 grains.

That's 2500+ pops per pound.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:04 PM   #27
Sport45

Solvo,

Welcome to The Firing Line!

And don't worry about your question. There's no requirement in reloading to know how many grains there are in a pound and I'll bet there are many people out there who have been reloading A LONG TIME that don't know the exact conversion factor. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how many grains there are in an ounce and several of my powder cans held 9 to 14 ounces when new.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:01 PM   #28
harry carey

if you are new how did you pick my favorite two powders for 223 ? you know more than a lot of those out there. h322 and h335 , excellent . if you want to shoot smaller groups buy better bullets, get a Sinclair Intl catalog, and shoot more! get Zedikers book Handloading for Competition, and you will be the one answering the questions soon.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:10 PM   #29
Dan The Sig Man

You know I have one thing to offer to anyone that is New to Reloading... I am New and have not reloaded the first round yet, but I did go out and bought Lee's Modern Reloading Second Addition, and I must state... I think I know a heck of a lot more about reloading and what it consists of than I did 2 weeks ago before I read the WHOLE BOOK. I am currently looking for a couple other books to read.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:11 PM   #30
sds

Welcome to the forums. It seems there are many people whose first response is "you should have done a search, newbie." Pay no mind to them, as we are all newbies at some time or another and we come here for the adivce of those who have much more experience than us. Hope you find all that you are looking for. Peace
Old May 3, 2009, 03:25 PM   #31
James R. Burke

Dan you are on the right track. You can not go wrong with the manuals, and reading them. The more the better, nice to cross check things. I try to get one for the make of the bullet I will be loading also. It's not that many really I have a few favorite rounds/makes. The hard part is getting them by the wife, but she is pretty use to it now. I also upgraded them now and then. Have fun, and keep it safe!
Old May 3, 2009, 04:23 PM   #32
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Dillon press question

Great advice out there!! We loaded about 30 rounds this weekend (after shooting factory) and a question I have is this. I have a Dillon 550B. Everything has been calibrated for .223. We started one casing at a time, and measured each and every one that popped out into the blue catch container. NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM, whn I had a casing in the 3rd die for setting the bullet into the case, and I had a case in the 2nd which is where the gunpowder dispenses, while the powder dispensed, the 3rd stage would not go up completely to set the bullet. I think, and I am a newbie as they come, I think I have the die in station 2 for the gunpowder too low, thereby preventing the 3rd stage from having the bullet set correctly.

Soooo, if I described it in detail enough for a visual, does anyone have a suggestion? I sent one to Dillon, but it's Sunday. Thanks. Hope all had a good weekend.
Old May 3, 2009, 04:49 PM   #33
CrustyFN

WOW great to see all of the new reloaders, welcome to all of you. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, 99% of the people here are great and are happy to help.
Rusty
Old May 3, 2009, 09:11 PM   #34
smoakingun

just remember, there are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:51 PM   #35
GP100man

reloadin????

pulled the handle the first time in `bout `82 thats 1982 & the more i think i know the more i find out i don`t!!!

pester me all ya want , i just hope i can help , even if it`s a little!!!!

GP100man
Old May 4, 2009, 09:05 PM   #36
Ruger4570

I thought I would jump back in here and also welcome the newest members. As most of us have said, ask away.
In case it wasn't mentioned or I missed it. You can go to the powder companies and get loading information from them for most every cartridge out there. Some of the bullet makers also provide reload info.
Good luck to all of you.