The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 25, 2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Hole Shooter

Question on .410 bolt action single shot shotgun

I have an old single shot bolt action Marlin .410 shotgun (youth model). I have ONLY shot three inch .410 shells through this gun. However, I have recently come into several boxes of two and a half inch .410 shells. My question is.....can I safely shoot the 2.5 inch shells in this shotgun even though it is chambered for 3 inch shells? My concern is where the end of the chamber meets the start of the barrell, if there is a difference in diameter.

Hope this makes sense and many thanks in advance for your reply!

Hole Shooter
Old May 25, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
J F Cooper

Assuming the gun is in good ordr, Fire away, the 2 1/2" ammo is fine in a 3" chamber..JFC
Old May 25, 2008, 10:32 AM   #3
flyby

Yes its safe to use the 2.5", I used to have an old mossy Bolt-action .410 (3+1) with a 3" chamber and used the 2.5"s sometimes also.
Its the same as shooting a shorter 2.75" 12ga in a longer 12ga chamber ..Or a .38spl in a .357 mag.
The only thing is sometimes performance suffers a little ..but also sometimes not ..you'll have to check it out with your particular gun and ammo combination.