The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Domino

W231 and HP38 the same?

I know Hodgon now runs Winchester powders but I've heard that HP38 and W231 are/were the exact same thing. Is this true?
Old January 26, 2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Jim Watson

HP38 comes off the same production line in St Marks, Florida as Win 231.

BUT, I have seen both powders in the same manual with slightly different top loads and velocities.
And I GET slightly different velocities from the same charge of HP38 and Win231. HP38 runs a little faster than Win 231 in .38, 9mm, and .45.

Now that might be lot-to-lot variation, or maybe Hodgdon specified powder to be sold as HP38 a little different from what Winchester sells as Win 231.
Or maybe the first batch Hodgdon got was a little faster than what Winchester was selling, and for their next and present orders they have said "Send me more like THAT." A combination of lot variations and company specs.

Moral of the story: Use brand-specific load data and refine with a chronograph if available.
Old January 26, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
singleshot

Jim's right and sometimes it is hard to figure out why there are differences. Another good example is 296=H110.

Sometimes the difference can be due to different primers or brass but sometimes I think it's just Gremlins.
Old January 27, 2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Hotdog1911

I'll second Mr. Watson.

Not that Mr. Watson needs back-up. As I understand it, knowing the difference between certain pistol powders is a requirement for graduating High School in his neck-of-the-woods. If it is not it should be. The country would be better if they did.
Old January 28, 2007, 04:14 AM   #5
Powderman

They're SUPPOSED to be the same.

However, I have had great results with HP38; never could get W231 to work well for me.

I have had great results using both W296 and H110, though.
Old January 28, 2007, 04:46 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Double base powders

Depend on chemical "deterrents" to control burning rate. Different powders can come off the same production line, what varies is the chemical make up and treatment of the batch.

231 and HP 38 are listed as different powders, and so they are. No matter how similar they may appear, different powders are well, different. Use only the data for the specific powder you are using, and work up your loads using safe reloading practices.