The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2005, 02:55 AM   #1
Blackwater OPS

S&W Parts

I need a replacement thumbpiece for my 342PD(the old one fell off somehow and dissapered, the screw was sitting in my holster!) I checked E-gunparts but could not find it. Anyone know of place I can order this online?
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 15, 2005, 04:46 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

Call S&W

Give S&W a call. They should sell it to you over the phone.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Brian Williams

1800-331-0852 S&W... Give them a call
Old November 22, 2005, 07:14 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Gun Parts lists it as their # 307110, mfgr p/n 07025000.

Jim
Old December 8, 2005, 11:38 PM   #5
Blackwater OPS

Thx, S&W shipped the part to me for free, no charge at all for a new part, not even shipping! Awesome people do deal with, makes me want to buy more from S&W. Now if the could only make a decent auto.....
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old December 9, 2005, 02:53 AM   #6
cntryboy1289

They do

Don't know what your choice would be, but they make an excellent 1911 and I have a Sigma DAO 40S&W that I really love. They also make several of the DA 45ACP.
Old December 9, 2005, 03:19 AM   #7
Blackwater OPS

I think their 1911s are over priced and I have a new sig 229 which I think is superior to the sigma. They make the best revolvers in the world though. All just IMO of course, not trying to start any wars here. (wrong forum for that!)
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old December 9, 2005, 02:47 PM   #8
cntryboy1289

I like em

I agree about not starting a war over it, but they don't make the best revolver, just the most popular. A Colt will stand up better and be more accurate any day of the week, they are just a bugger to work on when you have too. I haven't checked on their price of the 1911, but honestly, whose price issn't inflated these day? You get what you paid for on most of them though and most of the folks use aftermarket parts on them to begin with which is what drives the price of them up.

If a gun is better than my Sigma, I haven't found it. Simplicity at it's finest. Load the mag, rack the slide and pull the trigger is all you need to know about to fire it just like any revolver. The trigger pull is a little stout, but if you practice with it, you don't notice it and I like the fact that it is stout in that you don't get an accidental pull with it which was the intended purpose of the stouter pull to begin with. Mine was a Police recylce and came with 15 round mags a few years ago before the ban was lifted so it had the added firepower before then as well.

It's all good and I am not saying a S&W revolver isn't a fine gun, but it defintely isn't the best in the world by any stretch of the imagination. They do shoot well, but not many have ever come close to a Colt when it comes to accuracy and timing. Their design just wasn't as good and never will be unless they copy the Colt which won't ever happen although they have learned a few things from Colt and made some changes.
Old December 9, 2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Blackwater OPS

I respect your opinion, and since I was speaking in absolutes, I was probably wrong.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old December 9, 2005, 06:07 PM   #10
cntryboy1289

No one's wrong

We all have our own opinion and that's the beauty of being an individual. No two opinions have to be the same for both to be right. Cheers'
Old December 18, 2005, 09:01 PM   #11
Daniel BOON

independtly wealthy

I have several smith revolvers; I have fondled their semi-auto's, but because of my sausage fingers, cannot reach the trigger the way I would like;
N frames, no problem. love those mdl 27's, and 44specials;
then one day i decided to buy a quality 45 auto; well because i spent all my inheritance, I couldn't get near STI, wilson, blah blah blah; I have about 1500 rounds thru my mdl 1911 smith, no jams, with both reloads and factory rnd ball; I have decided not to clean it until it jams; but have no fear, I'll carry my mdl 24 3"., with roy fishpaw french walnut grips; The End.....
Old December 19, 2005, 12:32 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, cntryboy,

I respect your opinion, but I don't think you will get many professional gunsmiths to agree with you on the simplicity and timing of (the old) Colt revolvers vs S&W. They are a bear to work on. When Colt finally did go to a better design (too late) they essentially copied the S&W.

Jim
Old December 19, 2005, 12:47 PM   #13
cntryboy1289

misread my post

I think you may have misread my post Jim. I didn't say they were easy to work on. A Colt will stay in time better than a S&W and are generally more accurate due to a tighter barrel than a S&W. That is simply a fact and most any smith you ask will tell you that. For a smith that doesn't work on them very often, yes they can cause you to pull your hair out.

As my instructor taught us, a Colt by design of the hand not pushing the cylinder out of enggement each and every time the hammer is cocked will stay in time much longer than a S&W which tries to push the cylinder out away from the gun. Would you not concurr?