The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2004, 10:59 AM   #1
jfrothwell@everestkc

Bohler Antinit 10 ga. Dbl. F. Clark Cheyenne Wyo.

Hello all, I have a 10 ga. shotgun that belonged to my father. I am not sure when he bought it. But I remember seeing it when I was a child when we were stationed in Meridian Miss. back in 62' so it is at least that old. I have tried to look it up on the internet but so far no luck. If there is anyone out there who either owns one of these or knows anything about F. Clark I would appreciate it. The barrel is not ribed but it is raised and checkered and there is a name, M. Ugartebury-Eibar and after that it says made in Spain. The reciever is ornately engraved. In front of the reciever stamped in the barrel in a small circle is a running ostrich with M. Ugartebury-Eibar around the bird.
Old October 27, 2004, 04:59 AM   #2
mete

Bohler is a steel company and antinit is a steel designed for nitrate [smokeless powders].Ugartebury is the maker located in Eibar Spain.Can't help you with F Clark.
Old October 27, 2004, 11:02 AM   #3
jfrothwell@everestkc

So, this F. Clark was probably a person who imported pre-made parts and finished them with the stock and other furniture and then he stamped his name into the barrel of the finished product. Thank you for the information. It is more than I have known for many years. I am glad I found this website. I just had no idea who to ask. I used up all the gun dealers and gunsmiths in Kansas City and none of them knew. However I find it hard to believe that at least one of them didn't know the kind of steel it was or what it was for. They thought Bohler was the gun maker and F. Clark, the designer. So they might have been half right. But half right is still half wrong. Thanks again. I am interested in selling my shotguns, I have five. The 10 ga., a Savage dbl. 20 ga with a plastic stock, a .410 single shot Winchester, an A.H. Fox .410 dbl. vent rib. And a Winchester Model 12 pump. They were all acquired by my dad before I was born.I also have an Erma .22 auto, a Smith and Wesson .22 Air Police K frame target revolver, my dad bought this one on the street in Da Nang when he was there in 65'. I know he bought it there because it came home with his footlocker and other things.
Old October 31, 2004, 10:02 AM   #4
K80Geoff

Just FYI, Bohler Antinit steel is used by high grade gunmakers such as Krieghoff, Merkel, Perazzi and Kemen. It ain't found in Mossbergs.

The gun was probably imported by F Clark. M. Ugartebury may have been related to Ugartechea, a common make of spanish doubles. Eibar is the gunmaking region in Spain.
Old November 11, 2004, 08:23 PM   #5
johnbt

A "Martin Ugarteburu SP Distributor/importer" is listed on the tradenames and brands list at www.earmi.it/armi/database/brand_m.htm

It sounds like a very nice shotgun BTW.

John
Old January 2, 2009, 10:14 PM   #6
dshaapapuro

M. Ugarteburu

Hey there i recently inherited a similar shotgun myself and am currently getting information on it. ill leave a link to another thread at shotgun world.