The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Chris_B

Really rather pleased with HK P30SK

Bought a new one last week. Took me about five minutes of looking at it to decide it was coming home with me. Three mags, too: one with flush floorplate and two with finger extensions.

Single action, double action, manual safety, de-cocker model (I don't get much choice here). Had the chance to take it to the range on Sunday. I used a mish-mash of three different ammo manufacturers, all 115gr. All ball type. Flawless, as expected. 200 rounds. Very happy with it.

I had read that the trigger might not be too great. It's not as good as my '88 P226, or my '20 Colt 1903, but it's damned good regardless, both DA and SA. Smooth. After the 2nd mag I shot the center out of a couple targets at 33 feet. HK sighted it in right. Then I started to shoot a touch low. But this thing can shoot. Pistol is not snappy at all to me despite the what...3.4" barrel? Dual flat recoil springs seem to work exactly as advertised.

The handle is too short for me with the flush mag, and just a little too long with the pinky extension mags. I'm going to buy more flush-fit mag floorplates and epoxy them bottom to bottom; I need about another quarter inch for the flush floorplate mags to be perfect for me. I swapped around backstraps and side panels, and yes this things feels good. This is a 'pointer' for me.

The de-cocker as a button on the back of the slide...I'm used to a swipe type like my P226 has. Take some getting used to; I like the swipe better, oh well. Sights are tru-glo and really easy to pick up. I like the slight forward tilt of the rear sight; I can rack the slide with the heel of my shoe using it.

All controls are crisp and quite positive in function and tactile feel.

The paddle mag release is nothing new to me, I adjusted to that a long time ago. Odd but easy takedown, very simple field strip. Pistol was almost not dirty after 200 rounds. Didn't need cleaning at all and barrel looked like it did before shooting. Cleaned it anyway but all I got from that was practice. Super easy to clean too.

It's a bit big for a sub compact 9mm, but I guess that's as sub compact as HK will make a P30! Can't say enough good things about this pistol. It's not going to be all things to all people but I'm already hooked on my first Heckler and Koch.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:46 PM   #2
sigarms228

Glad you are loving your new P30SK. I really like mine too though mine is LEM and my only LEM but I like it and the trigger was sweet right out of the box. I agree with the P30SK being a soft shooter and is also known to be very accurate.

I have a couple 13 round magazines for the P2000/USP-C with flat base plate for mine and use the P200SK X-Grip adapter and that works great for me to extend the grip a little bit and add three rounds capacity.

Old February 16, 2017, 01:00 PM   #3
PSP

My sub-compact HK is a P2000 but everything you said about the P30 can be applied too. Easy to shoot well, shoots and feels like a larger gun. The controls all feel "just right". My sights are starting to dim a bit but all else works as it did on day one.

Enjoy your new pistol. HK makes great guns.
Old February 16, 2017, 05:31 PM   #4
Chris_B

Thanks. I can already see my OT money from work going into 9x19.

Wish I could get those slightly longer 13 round mags but...they make Massachusetts cry. The Commonwealth is still quite cross at me regarding my legal M1A1, my legal no manual safety P226, and my legal AR15. Very cross indeed. Shame shame shame, I guess I'm a bad man
Old February 16, 2017, 08:41 PM   #5
DanPop

This is my next dream gun, looks mean a lot to me and this is a winner. Combine the mean little bulldog looks and the dependable reliability of an HK, it is a no brainer. I am in Vermont and I don't want to buy a gun that I can't take to the range when I get it so I'll wait till spring to buy one...... Hurry up Spring.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old February 18, 2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Chris_B

Anyone have experience with the aftermarket P30SK pinky rest magazine floorplates that do not add capacity?

I think my plan for the DIY floorplates will work just fine, but for practically the same cost it seems I can buy some aluminum floorplates that do the same thing.
Old February 18, 2017, 12:54 PM   #7
sakata8242

LEM is the way to go in my opinion if getting an HK. Got a P30SK LEM last fall and now I have 3 more LEM pistols. The stock DA/SA triggers on HKs are serviceable, but my SIGs have all had better triggers out of the box.
Old February 18, 2017, 01:39 PM   #8
Chris_B

The LEM is not an option. The pistol is absent from the almighty Approved Firearms Roster for my State. Whether HK didn't submit that model for testing or whether something else happened is unknown to me, but that's that, the list as of JAN 2017 says "no, thank you".

I'm just pleased it was so far under MSRP. The safety and de-cocker do not interfere or bug me in any way, so it's a wash as far as myself goes. Only thing I need is slightly thicker floorplates.