The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 13, 2017, 01:03 PM   #26
bfoosh006

I suggest trying some 64gr Gold Dots. PSA routinely has them on sale for "Buy 10 , free shipping at $10.99 per box.

And as for 55gr FMJ... for the most part they are ok... but there are more consistently expanding bullets out there... IE Fusion and GD.

The 55gr FMJ is a "Yaw" dependent bullet.. which means it can perform differently depending on its impact angle ( Yaw )

This image shows what I mean... and the yaw angle cannot be controlled as it is just how the bullet travels.

Looking at the image.... you can see a huge difference in the 55gr FMJ's behavior... sometimes it works great ( High Yaw ) sometimes it doesn't .. ( Low Yaw )

That is what I mean by "but there are more consistently expanding bullets out there... IE Fusion and GD."

A Gold Dot / Fusion bullet will expand in a much more predictable way... since it is not a "Yaw" dependent bullet.

Even the SMK 69gr and 77gr can be yaw dependent ( but to a lesser degree then the 55gr FMJ ) ... the Sierra TMK is designed to be an improvement on ballistic the performance of the SMK.

IMHO, you would be served quite well with a 64gr GD for SD and your Coyotes ( as long as it fires accurately from your rifle.

If your needed more penetration... stepping up to a 75gr GD will serve you well.

FYI... Ballistic gel info ...( Look and click clear down at the bottom of the page under FBI Test Protocol. )

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun...C24448%2C24475

Any other questions or thoughts... just ask.

Last edited by bfoosh006; February 15, 2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old February 13, 2017, 05:04 PM   #27
ejb69

Check your local hunting regs before using FMJ bullets for hunting.
Old February 13, 2017, 09:50 PM   #28
Panfisher

I do have separate ammo for deer hunting, otherwise my AR eats a steady diet of 55 gn HP of various manufacture depending on what is on sale, all reloads.
Old February 14, 2017, 01:07 PM   #29
Tallest

Wow - more good stuff. Thanks, Folks!

bamaranger- It's great country, you're right! And I just picked up some 55 grn stuff to try out yesterday, Thanks!

bfoosh006 - really interesting, and enlightening! Thank you!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 15, 2017, 03:00 PM   #30
bfoosh006

On a side note.... the "Newly" issued M855A1 is no where near as yaw dependent.

IMHO, it is a very good replacement for the M855 and M193.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_epymWduYs

Verse Level III AR500...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0gxeSpjdSk