The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Daisy Red Ryder Handbook.....

The first gunbook I ever had was the Daisy Red Ryder Handbook. Gun safety was taught, by cartoon, by Red Ryder and Little Beaver.

That was about sixty four years ago. I've really not learned anything new about safe gun handling since.

Bob Wright
Old March 14, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
BarryLee

There is no doubt good safety practices need to be taught at a young age. While I can’t support this with any real data I believe if more young folks learned gun safety and actually shot real guns at real targets we would have less violence these days.

Oh, and while Dad and Granddad had a lot to do with it the Boy Scouts really taught me a lot about disciplined shooting and gun safety. The other guys would take their “spendin money” and go buy ice cream during afternoon break time, but not me I picked up another fifty rounds and headed to the range for open shooting time.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; March 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3
biggun_

you'll shoot your eye out!
Old March 14, 2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Bob Wright

biggun said:
Quote:
you'll shoot your eye out!
My mother always said, "You'll put your eye out!"

My mother was not too keen on my having guns, so it was through intervention of my dad that I was able to get them. So I knew if I ever got careless and let my dad down, my shooting career would come to an end.

I just knew I had to be careful. It must habve worked. I've been shooting over sixty years now, and have never had an accidental/negligent discharge.

Bob Wright
Old March 15, 2013, 12:54 AM   #5
EliteGeek91

This makes me wanna go buy a Daisy Red Ryder model 25 pump.. I love those..
Old March 15, 2013, 08:49 AM   #6
jrothWA

Sounds like the "Keep It Super Simple"...

really has longevity!
e.g: Gun safety rules, Ten Commandments, Courtesy, etc.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:42 AM   #7
I'vebeenduped

If someone has a pdf of that, please share. That would make a nice adjunct for training my boy. We read two stories every night and THAT would make a nice, pleasant addition!!!! Repetition, repetition, repetition! Safety, safety, safety!
Old March 15, 2013, 10:50 AM   #8
I'vebeenduped

Here are some more up to date books on children's safety. I am ordering the "my first rifle" and "bb gun" books. Still, I would LOVE to get my grubbs on the Red Ryder books!
http://www.littlesportsman.com/
Old March 19, 2013, 05:42 PM   #9
biohazurd

Dont recall the handbook but. The red ryder was my first projectile heaving device. Followed by the daisy grizzly. The great tin can war of the early 2000s is how i like to refer to it. Ahh good times.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:53 AM   #10
full case load

Anybody remember being made painfully aware of the complete cocking maneuver? Seems like back then, it took about all I had to cock it and concentrating on the tin can and pulling the trigger . . .geez that lever was awfully rude. Once was all it took though.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:00 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not really what the T&T means by tactics and training... This is rudimentary enough for Gen Dis though...

Moved...
Brent
Old March 20, 2013, 10:06 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BTW, this is not a discussion of the Red Ryder or any other air rifle... Nor is it for recollecting on the Christmas Story movie...

As the OP states... he learned the main gun rules from a simple owners manual that came with the Red Ryder and all other projectile emitting devices...

And nothing he has learned since trumped those rules for basic firearms safe handling...

Brent
Old March 20, 2013, 10:33 AM   #13
SPEMack618

I remember thinking the manual that came with my Red Ryder was the coolest thing ever, namely the comic book esque art that showed both how to load and fire the gun, along with a discussion of the safety rules.

And learning that it is impossible to "flip-cock" a Red Ryder as well.

To go along with what BarryLee said, aside from Pops, some of the best rifle instruction I ever got was in the Boy Scouts.

If I were ever Chief Scout Executive, I would make the rifle merit badge Eagle required.