The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 10:12 PM   #1
OnTheFly

Stolen Handgun: Lincoln, Nebraska $500 Reward

A fellow shooter in Nebraska had a very nice handgun stolen out of his car while it was parked in Lincoln. Please pass the word to keep an eye out for this gun so it can be returned to its rightful owner.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...

Last edited by OnTheFly; January 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old January 23, 2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Apom

If it was stolen. I'm sure the criminal will use it to get more then then $500 dollar reward you are offering.

Whats the point of keeping the gun in your car? Did the car not use it when it was being broken into?
Old January 23, 2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Powderman

Your friend DID file a police report, right?
And he kept the serial number on record so that he could give that to the police too, didn't he (or she)?
Old January 23, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
MLeake

Given that both the gun's serial number and the Lincoln PD phone numbers and case number are on the poster in the OP, what do you suspect, Powderman?
Old January 23, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
OnTheFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
Given that both the gun's serial number and the Lincoln PD phone numbers and case number are on the poster in the OP, what do you suspect, Powderman?
MLeake,

Thanks for posting the sarcastic reply so I didn't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apom
If it was stolen. I'm sure the criminal will use it to get more then then $500 dollar reward you are offering.

Whats the point of keeping the gun in your car? Did the car not use it when it was being broken into?
Apom,

Thanks! You could have been helpful, but you have been SO much more.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old January 24, 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
RamItOne

Good luck

I keep one in my truck, quicker draw from the cup holder than from IWB

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 24, 2013, 04:23 PM   #7
MLeake

Quicker draw from the cup holder, perhaps, but not so good in a car wreck...
Old January 24, 2013, 04:35 PM   #8
RamItOne

^^^^^^^
And that's why you have one IWB as well. But what do I need a gun in a car wreck for. If someone steals it after I'm airlifted to an ER well I wouldn't really care about that.

OP
Has your friend checked local or state wide online gun classifieds? Not sure how many LGS and pawn shops are in youre area but a quick face to face with the workers and some pics will go a long way.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 24, 2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Xfire68

"And that's why you have one IWB as well. But what do I need a gun in a
car wreck for. If someone steals it after I'm airlifted to an ER well I
wouldn't really care about that."

Have you ever been hit by 2lbs of steel moving at 20+MPH? You may be in a otherwise minor accident that turned into a serious one because you did not secure that gun. Any heavy objects in your car or truck may become destructive to soft tissue and bone when in a car wreck.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:37 PM   #10
BGutzman

That's why you carry it on you. If I can carry and I have it, its on me, not in my vehicle. Sorry for your buddy loss...
Old January 24, 2013, 08:55 PM   #11
OnTheFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamItOne
OP
Has your friend checked local or state wide online gun classifieds? Not sure how many LGS and pawn shops are in youre area but a quick face to face with the workers and some pics will go a long way.
This is not actually a friend, just a fellow member of the Nebraska Firearms Owner's Association (NFOA) that posted on our local forum. Just trying to help bring a man and his "loved one" back together.

It seems he is trying everything he can think of. I have directed him to some websites that list stolen firearms. I will pass on your suggestion.

Thanks,
Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old January 25, 2013, 12:02 AM   #12
Brian48

It wouldn't hurt to have him register the gun as stolen here as well:

http://www.stolenweapon.com/
Old January 25, 2013, 03:14 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Have you ever been hit by 2lbs of steel moving at 20+MPH? You may be in a otherwise minor accident that turned into a serious one because you did not secure that gun. Any heavy objects in your car or truck may become destructive to soft tissue and bone when in a car wreck.
In my truck, adding another 2-5 lb object to the mix isn't a big deal. With the shovel, axe, knives, hatchet, lug wrenches, chains, padlocks, hand tools, air compressor, frozen water bottles, and other skull-cracking objects in the cab.... the odds of a firearm causing damage are fairly low.

The risk is there. But, in my truck, I'd worry about some of those other things, first. (Like the axe, in particular. )
Old January 26, 2013, 11:45 AM   #14
buck460XVR

Iffin it were me, I use the $500 to cover the deductible and replace the firearm with the insurance monies. I assume the owner is a NRA member and has at least the minimal free coverage on his weapons, plus homeowners insurance. Most folks I know that get their stolen firearms back do not get them back in the condition they were taken. While I feel for the owner, I guess I don't understand leaving a $2000 firearm unattended in a vehicle without having it secured by some other means than just door locks. He did have his doors locked at least, yes? Let's just hope the gun doesn't end up in an evidence locker after a homicide.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:36 AM   #15
OnTheFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR
Iffin it were me, I use the $500 to cover the deductible and replace the firearm with the insurance monies. I assume the owner is a NRA member and has at least the minimal free coverage on his weapons, plus homeowners insurance. Most folks I know that get their stolen firearms back do not get them back in the condition they were taken. While I feel for the owner, I guess I don't understand leaving a $2000 firearm unattended in a vehicle without having it secured by some other means than just door locks. He did have his doors locked at least, yes? Let's just hope the gun doesn't end up in an evidence locker after a homicide.
Ok...let me reiterate what I thought I had already explained.

1) The person who had this stolen is not a friend.

2) I am just helping a fellow Nebraskan/NFOA member spread the word about a stolen gun.

3) I have no details other than it was in a car, it was stolen, and he is offering a reward.

4) This was not intended as a rhetorical post.

5) I appreciate everyone looking at the post.

6) If anyone has any information regarding this firearm, please refer to the information in post #1.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old January 27, 2013, 07:52 AM   #16
CajunBass

Quote:
Ok...let me reiterate what I thought I had already explained.

1) The person who had this stolen is not a friend.

2) I am just helping a fellow Nebraskan/NFOA member spread the word about a stolen gun.

3) I have no details other than it was in a car, it was stolen, and he is offering a reward.

4) This was not intended as a rhetorical post.

5) I appreciate everyone looking at the post.

6) If anyone has any information regarding this firearm, please refer to the information in post #1.
No good deed goes unpunished.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 28, 2013, 06:56 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

OnTheFly - thanks for the post - it may never turn up but you never know. If you don't "put it out there" . . . no one can keep their eyes open for it.

If the thief who stole it reads this post . . . I'm sure he will turn it in right away.. . . reward or no reward. After all . . . the "criminals" are certainly going to follow whatever new rules/regulations the Feds come up with . . . well, maybe?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 31, 2013, 11:50 AM   #18
jason_iowa

I hope the guy gets it back. Instead of persecuting gun owners they should start hanging the guys who steal em.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:35 PM   #19
markj

Quote:
they should start hanging the guys who steal em
I agree 100% with this statement.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:45 PM   #20
Stringer

^ agreed
Old February 1, 2013, 06:48 AM   #21
baccusboy

Place a few area ads on here:

http://www.gunlistings.org/
Old February 2, 2013, 08:07 PM   #22
JimDandy

Quote:
MLeake,

Thanks for posting the sarcastic reply so I didn't have to.
I was already writing mine in my head when I saw his.

Quote:
Apom,

Thanks! You could have been helpful, but you have been SO much more.

Fly
Gee. you say that like you realize that there isn't a way for us to go around 24/7 365 without running into a situation where we eventually have to pull the thing off our belt for an errand or something... like say a trip to the post office. Or a school administrator's office to pay for a hall rental. Or a metting with your congressman or Senator on gun control. Gee,they were absolutely right. I can't think of a single instance off the top of my head in 10 seconds or less where I'd drive up armed, and have to leave it in my car. Or choose to go around the whole day not armed.