The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1
marklmurray

Latest Rust Blue project: Ruger Speed Six

Hi everyone. I just wanted to post up the results of my latest refinishing project.

This Speed Six was a gun I picked up on-line over a year and a half ago. The seller described the gun as having been owned by a security company. I can only imagine that it spent some time sliding around, unholstered, on the floorboard of the 'security vehicle'. The finish was pretty much beaten to hell, with about 50% of the bluing left. There were quite a few scratches and some pretty deep gouges and dents as well.

Mechanically, though, the thing was perfect - smooth as butter, in fact, so, when I got it, I knew I had wisely spent my $250.00.

I did my best with the dents and gouges,but I'm no professional. The rest of the metal prep was some sanding, then a bead blast (80 grit beads). I'm still amazed at the depth that Rust Bluing gives to even a bead blasted finish. There was no polishing beyond the bead blasting aside from the carding wheel and steel wool. I have got to start remembering to do some 'before' photos when I start these things!

Anyway, here are the results: The grips are just some no name walnuts I found on ebay a while back. I'm in the process of rehabbing the original grips as well - they were even more beat up than the gun. I've sanded the checkering smooth (it was almost gone already), and I'm doing a BLO + Tom's 1/3 mix finish on them. I may post photos with those grips once they are done.

2012-11-04_13-01-45_491 by marklmurray, on Flickr

2012-11-04_13-00-38_772 by marklmurray, on Flickr

2012-11-04_12-59-25_563 by marklmurray, on Flickr
Old November 4, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
skidder

Very nice! You did a good job.

I have a Security Six with a bead-blast bluing, but I paid someone to do mine.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 4, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
spacecoast

I'm not partial to Ruger revolvers, but that's a sweet-looking gun. Great job.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
marklmurray

Quote:
Very nice! You did a good job.

I have a Security Six with a bead-blast bluing, but I paid someone to do mine.
Thanks! The bead blasting does an excellent job of hiding all the scratches and gouges that I couldn't get out of the metal, they're still there, but you have to look really, really close, and in just the right light, to see them. If I had done any level of smooth polish on it, they would have stuck out like a sore thumb, I fear.
Old November 4, 2012, 04:17 PM   #5
richardcorey

What a fine looking job!!! Congrats on your Ruger and the work you did. Sure looks good...
LISTEN!!!
Old November 4, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Creeper

Judging from the accurate color reproduction on the Ballistol can... I'd say you did a great job. The color is excellent, as is the semi-matte finish. Very attractive.

Cheers,
C
Old November 4, 2012, 05:14 PM   #7
marklmurray

Well, I have to give credit to the old Droid X2 for the color representation!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!
Old November 4, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Zhillsauditor

I'm getting ready to try my hand at in with an old iver johnson. Is carding the fluted cylinder going to be as difficult as it looks?
Old November 4, 2012, 05:59 PM   #9
marklmurray

Quote:
I'm getting ready to try my hand at in with an old iver johnson. Is carding the fluted cylinder going to be as difficult as it looks?
Actually, the cylinder is one of the easiest parts to card. Smaller nooks and crannies that are difficult to get a carding brush or a piece of balled-up 0000 steel wool were the most challenging for me.

The single most helpful accessory for the process, for me, was a carding wheel from Brownells. I chucked it in my drill press on the lowest speed and it really speeds things up. I still need to get into those nooks with the brushes or steel wool, but that's all you'll need the little ones for. The carding wheel got almost 100% of the cylinder each time, too.
Old November 4, 2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Zhillsauditor

Power tools around guns scare me I'll go out and get one. Thanks.
Old November 4, 2012, 06:50 PM   #11
IDAHOMIKE

Fantastic job. Looks beautiful and has a real business like look.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Creeper

Quote:
a real business like look
That there is a good descriptor in this instance... "business like". We have a winner.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Ben Towe

Very nice! That is slick as a button.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Nanuk

VERY NICE!
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Chowder

Awesome Ruger, looks pretty and mean at the same time.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:43 PM   #16
ZEBRARANGER

That thing looks great. Even the trigger and hammer looks great, nice and smooth looking. Love those sixes.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:46 PM   #17
marklmurray

Quote:
Quote:
a real business like look
That there is a good descriptor in this instance... "business like". We have a winner.

While in her early years, she may have been used for "business", in retirement, she can settle in for a nice life of care and leisure (but still look the part, of course).
Old November 4, 2012, 11:30 PM   #18
warningshot

Looks good to me.

Just as a car drives better after washing it, I think the bullets might go faster with the improved handgun appearrance.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:22 AM   #19
marklmurray

Quote:
Just as a car drives better after washing it, I think the bullets might go faster with the improved handgun appearrance.
I have always found that to be the case (with both cars and guns)
Old November 6, 2012, 09:16 PM   #20
Homerboy

You should have posted a before shot. The after shot looks very sweet. Nice job!
Old November 6, 2012, 09:38 PM   #21
marklmurray

Quote:
You should have posted a before shot. The after shot looks very sweet. Nice job!
Thanks! Yeah, I always forget the 'before' pics until 'after'. Then it's too late!
Old November 6, 2012, 10:51 PM   #22
FloridaVeteran

Wow - wish I had your level of talent. Also wish I had gone to a gunsmithing school when I was young. Nice to know that there are fellas like you who still learn, master and pass on the skills. Great work.
Old November 7, 2012, 02:52 PM   #23
Zhillsauditor

What amazes me is the number of people on gun forums that basically say that only a professional should do something. I am not afraid to learn new skills and try new techniques. I sometimes gump things up, and when I do, I kick myself, but I don't do the same mistake again.

There are some guns I own that I bought only because I wanted to tinker with them, or simply open them up and see how they function.
Old November 7, 2012, 03:11 PM   #24
marklmurray

Quote:
Wow - wish I had your level of talent. Also wish I had gone to a gunsmithing school when I was young. Nice to know that there are fellas like you who still learn, master and pass on the skills. Great work.
Thanks! But, it really wasn't about talent. All the information from diss/assambly to doing the Rust Blue finish, I found on the internet. Granted, this wasn't my first gun, but I'm still in the low single digits, when it comes to projects like this.

All it really takes is a little patience and some research - and a pot to boil some water in
Old November 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #25
marklmurray

Quote:
I am not afraid to learn new skills and try new techniques. I sometimes gump things up, and when I do, I kick myself, but I don't do the same mistake again.

There are some guns I own that I bought only because I wanted to tinker with them, or simply open them up and see how they function.
Amen to all that! And when one turns out good, you end up with something that is much more valuable (to you), than one you might have bought new. Not to mention the knowledge and skill gained in the process.