The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2009, 04:56 PM   #26
MTT TL

You did not say what your price range was so I will recommend an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel with a six position stock. Low recoil, powerful, adjustable to the shooter she can use the rifle with various uppers in different calibers for the rest of her life.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:04 PM   #27
Osageshooter

I am with sc928porche. A 260 in a Remington model 7 is a gun that will last a lifetime. With my young son, I got a 7-08 (260 not available back then.) We had the stock cut to a correct length of pull and as he grew, it went into a McMillan.

I have seen 2 deer hit with 243s (100gr factory) that did not have adequate tissue damage and we almost did not recover them. I know that doesn't always happen, but my 260 with 120 grain bullets is great on deer and there seems to be very little more perceived recoil compared to the 243.

A 7-08 with 120 grain bullets in the same gun would also be very nice.
Old November 1, 2009, 08:03 AM   #28
fisherman66

Quote:
A 260 in a Remington model 7 is a gun that will last a lifetime. With my young son, I got a 7-08 (260 not available back then.) We had the stock cut to a correct length of pull and as he grew, it went into a McMillan.
I bet that's a great combo. I don't care for plasticwerks, but I could make an exception for a 7/Swirly. What's the total weight on that walkabout 260?
Old November 1, 2009, 01:01 PM   #29
Yellowfin

A Marlin 336 in .30-30 would also fit a youngster well, hardly recoil at all, and drop the deer flat.
Old November 1, 2009, 09:08 PM   #30
castnblast

.243. But, if you are bent on a 22 cal, go with a 22-250, or better yet, get a 250-3000 savage. That is the cartridge the 22-250 was necked down from. You may also want to consider the 7mm-08. I shot my first deer siting on my dad's lap when I was 9. didn't bother me a bit. May want to look at a Howa. Inexpensive, accurate rifle. The rossi's don't group worth a flip. I tried working up some handloads for a friend - he couldnt get it to group. After a lot of powder, and bullets, I couldn't get it to group either. I would not buy one of those P.O.S. after that experience. I love my 22-250, but I'd get a little more gun for a new shooter.
Old November 1, 2009, 09:18 PM   #31
rdmallory

My mom is 90lbs and 70+ years old and uses a Ruger 44Mag riffle. I don't think they mke them anymore. But you can get it in a Marlin lever action in 44mag.

A .223 or .243 will kill a deer with a well placed shot but a .44mag, 45Lc or 30-30 is a lot more forgiving on where she hits it and has very little kick in a riffle. It is a lot safer in the woods also a .223/.243 will travel a lot father.

Doug
Old November 2, 2009, 08:21 AM   #32
globemaster3

Since I could not determine where you are (an indication of deer size), nor do you mention the ability of your little shooter, I'll provide some general thoughts.

Although many consider .223 adequate for deer, you find most supporters hail from states with smaller deer (FL, TX, etc) or their ability overcomes the weaknesses in the cartridge. I shot wild hogs with a Mini-14 in .223 in Florida growing up, but shot placement was important.

Your choice of .243 is well considered. A plethora of factory ammo exist in the heavier bullets you'd want to choose. It also performs the varmint role well with lighter bullets designed for the task.

.260 is definitely worth a look! Based on the same .308 casing the .243 came from, it launches a larger bullet and does it well. From articles I've read on the cartridge, more shooters are showing up every year at long range competitions with it. Factory loadings are more limited than the .243, and finding boxes of ammo anywhere outside the larger stores might be a challenge, although online ordering is an option.

Some other cartridges exist you have not considered. .257 Roberts is a mild-recoiling round that is very adequate for deer. The hard part to get over with the venerable "Bob" is limited ammo selection and IIRC, only Ruger is currently chambering a rifle in that caliber. If you use Gunbroker, you won't have a problem finding an available rifle, however. Like the .260, you will have a hard time finding a box in anywhere but the larger stores or online.

7mm-08 is another .308 parent cartridge to consider. It is only .5mm larger diameter than the .260, but gets the job done very fine on deer sized game and is more common than the .260 or "Bob".

The .250-3000 Savage was a nice round. No longer chambered in a factory rifle I am aware of, trying to find ammo can be challenging in person, but the "electronoshpere" can assist. Most of your used rifles will be the excellent Savage 99 lever action.

If you are considering an AR-15 platform, there are a dizzying array of available cartridges to consider. Since you are concerned about recoil, this is the best platform for recoil mitigation. However, the loadings for deer sized game present challenges to find ammo for unless you are willing to buy online. A quick search on this topic will reveal a thread started to document all available chamberings for the AR-15. Just beware: I took this route in 6.8 Remington SPC to meet the needs of a recoil adverse daughter, an acceptable cartridge for out to 100 yards, only to be forced to purchase my deer hunting ammo online. Absolutely zero shops in my local area carry anything other than Hornady with V-Max bullets.

Good luck and I hope this provided some help.
Old November 2, 2009, 03:35 PM   #33
fisherman66

Quote:
The .250-3000 Savage was a nice round. No longer chambered in a factory rifle I am aware of
Savage currently chambers the 250-3000 (aka 250 Savage) in their "Classic" line. I'd love to get my hands on a Rem Model 7, Ruger 77 - tang safety or #1 (Which is due out as a Lipsy Special soon).

Cool little deer cartridge with no muss or fuss; easy on the ears and shoulders but very adequate for clean kills on deer sized game...one of the most under appreciated cartridge around.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...ger&type=Rifle

Last edited by fisherman66; November 2, 2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added link
Old November 2, 2009, 11:44 PM   #34
globemaster3

Good call fisherman. It's not in their standard Model 14 Classic, but in the Model 14 American Classic. Glad to see a venerable cartridge like that being chambered!
Old November 2, 2009, 11:56 PM   #35
jimbob86

I don't believe .223 would be legal here...... .243 would be more versatile.....

I started with a .243 model 788 that I wish I still had...

My own daughter took her first deer last fall with a 30/30 Win .... Marlin 336 that she inherited from my mom. It worked just fine.