The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1
MontyCop05

What a loss. Heston would certainly be disappointed.

So I'm on patrol at work today when dispatch sends me on a call to a town resident who wants to turn over a undisclosed firearm to the police dept. I arrive and met a very nice older gentleman who tells me he’s got an old shotgun that he used to hunt deer with back in the day, but is currently packing up and moving to Maryland due to retirement. The nice old man continues that he bought the gun in a sporting goods store in upstate New York in 1952. The old man then hands me a solid feeling shotgun in a long gun sock. None the less part of me doesn’t even want to look at because I know where its going to end up. Anyway I thank the old man after some more talk about his and my hunting stories and place the gun, still in its sock, in the trunk of my patrol car. Off to HQ I go. I get back and take it inside where against my better judgment (and because I have to) I take a look. What I had was a 1952 Mossberg Model 190 bolt action 16ga. magazine fed shotgun with an adjustable choke. Thing was in immaculate shape. I’m sad to report that that fine gun is now in the evidence room, shortly on its way to the county, whom will melt it down to a useless pile of metal. If I could have gotten away with it, I'd be cleaning her right now. Unfortunately its against policy. What a shame. I’m going to lose a little sleep over this one.

Figured I'd just share my story with my fellow gunners who will certainly understand my pain, if not feel some of it too.

Any of my fellow lawmen firingline friends have any similar horror stories?
Old May 26, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Why didnt you take him over to the local gunshop and help him sell it?

WildorboughtityourselfAlaska TM
Old May 26, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3
MontyCop05

Quote:
Why didnt you take him over to the local gunshop and help him sell it?
Ha ha nice joke. I live in Jersey my friend.

Montyificouldhaveboughtitmyselfiwouldhaveinaheartbeatcop05
Old May 26, 2008, 11:40 PM   #4
dipper

You could have said the guy changed his mind (after you told him how to make a few bucks on it) and told HIM what to do with it--seems like a waste to me.
Dipper
Old May 27, 2008, 12:08 AM   #5
si vis pacem, para b

That hurts

I have a cousin that is a COP In East Orange. You guys up in Jersey Really have a heck of a task dealing with the gun politics. It is so rediculous that something in perfect condition would be melted down and used for something like handcuffs for when you have to arrest someone that failed to properly register his firearm or something like that. Although we were not in your shoes your emotion is felt by all of us.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:04 AM   #6
mikenbarb

Montycop, He could have taken it to the local gun shop and sold it. Even if its an unregistered gun, all he had to do was fill out a Certificate of eligibility for the shop. And presto, The gun is sold legally(unless its stolen). We also have a program that issues new serial #'s to guns that were inhereted with no numbers or unregistered guns that were purchased or owned before the days of registration. They issue a new Ser.# and the reciever is stamped by an approved gunsmith and then recorded by the State Police. It kinda looks bad when they restamp new numbers but its worth it because the gun isnt melted down and its then legal to transfer or sell after stamping the new numbers..
Old May 27, 2008, 08:38 AM   #7
armoredman

I look at it this way, I am glad I know of one cop in Jersey who is both honest and a firearms enthusiast. Ever feel like moving, AZ has some good room/laws for ya, and many of our PDs are hiring.
Old May 27, 2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Musketeer

http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html

MD has no permit to purchase or registration of long arms. There is absolutely no reason he could not have taken it with him. Why not tell him so?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old May 27, 2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Jeff Mulliken

I hate to see any high condition gun get melted down even a Mossberg bolt action shotgun but let's get serious.......

That is about a $150 gun, even in great condition. And the people that have them cant sell them at that price anyway. It is not much use for any kind of hunting but rabbits or tree rats. It's no good for clay targets. As a 16 ga it's not much of a deer or turkey gun. Just try to find 16 ga slugs sometime.

It's only real value is as a family legacy gun, and I think the owner had that option and chose not to exercise it.

Jeff
Old May 27, 2008, 02:03 PM   #10
MontyCop05

Quote:
Montycop, He could have taken it to the local gun shop and sold it. Even if its an unregistered gun, all he had to do was fill out a Certificate of eligibility for the shop. And presto, The gun is sold legally(unless its stolen). We also have a program that issues new serial #'s to guns that were inhereted with no numbers or unregistered guns that were purchased or owned before the days of registration. They issue a new Ser.# and the reciever is stamped by an approved gunsmith and then recorded by the State Police. It kinda looks bad when they restamp new numbers but its worth it because the gun isnt melted down and its then legal to transfer or sell after stamping the new numbers..
Yes, I’m well aware of this option. However once said old man called my dept (recorded lines), and yours truly was dispatched (all radio transmissions also recorded) that option truthfully was mostly out the window. Unless he really wanted to follow through with it, and then I would have to included that in my police report. The old man was very adamant about getting rid of the gun right then and there. He was literally moving the next day. I guess it was one of his last pieces of business in this crappy state.

Quote:
I look at it this way, I am glad I know of one cop in Jersey who is both honest and a firearms enthusiast. Ever feel like moving, AZ has some good room/laws for ya, and many of our PDs are hiring.
Armoredman, thanks for the pat on the back I appreciate it. I'd love to move to a more gun friendly state will dry heat. (I hate humidity an NJ has plenty) Unfortunately I have to live here for the next 21 years to keep my job and collect my pension. I have the option of getting a LEO job in other states of course but most don't match my pay/benefits, and my family and best friends are here to boot. Someday though, someday.

Quote:
MD has no permit to purchase or registration of long arms. There is absolutely no reason he could not have taken it with him. Why not tell him so?
I did. He wasn't interested in taking it with him.

Quote:
I hate to see any high condition gun get melted down even a Mossberg bolt action shotgun but let's get serious.......

That is about a $150 gun, even in great condition. And the people that have them cant sell them at that price anyway. It is not much use for any kind of hunting but rabbits or tree rats. It's no good for clay targets. As a 16 ga it's not much of a deer or turkey gun. Just try to find 16 ga slugs sometime.

It's only real value is as a family legacy gun, and I think the owner had that option and chose not to exercise it.
I understand your cynicism, however it’s slightly misplaced if your look at it from my point of view. I’m aware that the shotgun in question is nothing to write to the Smithsonian about but hey, it’s still a little piece of history. I also have a younger brother (12) and someday hope to have my own rugrats, and anyway you look at it its a good start up gun. Plus just the fact that it was in such good shape for its age. So maybe not his family legacy, but maybe mine. I think it would have been a nice story to pass on to my kids and grandkids someday.
Old May 27, 2008, 06:58 PM   #11
King Ghidora

I have a Mossberg bolt action from the same period. It's a 185K-A in 20 ga. form. I don't think you can fire slugs through the poly choke. That's what I've been told and I haven't ever wanted to put it to the test. Mine's a family heirloom too. Got it from my dad. It was my first shotgun. Dad got it from my uncle in the early 60's for a whopping $5. It was a family type deal of course. I've seen models similar to mine being sold for well under $100. They are fine shotguns for their time but not many people want a bolt action shotgun these days. I'd love to find a 20 round mag for it somewhere but that sure as heck ain't likely. It will just continue to rest here where it's well cared for. I've probably only shot a couple of boxes of shells through that gun since I've owned it. I had it professionally re-blued in a tank and it's in vg condition. But no amount of money will make me part with it. Well maybe for a billion or so.

I hate to see guns destroyed like they do in the cities. They think they're doing the world a big favor. They aren't.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:37 PM   #12
xm21

Thats kinda how I felt in 1988 when the M21's we were carrying were turned into DPDO to be melted down.We were issued the new Rem M24's.
Old May 28, 2008, 07:08 AM   #13
birdshot

does M21 mean winchester model 21 sxs discontinued in 1959, except for a short repo run in the early 80's?
Old May 28, 2008, 07:48 AM   #14
mikenbarb

Give him my # next time.lol I hade the same gun a long time ago and it was great for tree rat and bunny hunting. The coolest feature was the C-Lect choke(Polychoke) and at the time it was a big deal to have one on a gun. Far away, Twist it tight. Up close, Loosen it up. Wow, What a blast from the past with alot of great memories shooting that thing. Monty, Where ya from, Montclair?
Old May 28, 2008, 07:57 AM   #15
Creature

Where there is a will, there is a way. Especially in NJ.
Old May 28, 2008, 03:32 PM   #16
xm21

Birdshot, M21's in this case were M14's that were accurized by USA armorers.The one I was issued and went to school with was a very early one that had an XM-21 on it,it was a prototype before it received an official designation from the dept of the Army.Weapons just like it are in use still.
Old May 29, 2008, 09:36 AM   #17
birdshot

xm21, well that makes more sense. being a bird hunter the model 21, flashed to mind, i should have keyed on the M instead of "model".
Old May 29, 2008, 12:43 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Naw, Heston would not have been disappointed. Legally getting rid of his gun was the man's right and Heston was all for people's rights, especially 2nd amendment rights. Giving up the gun does nothing to challege 2nd amendment rights, which were not being surrendered.