The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Barr

Spartan Gunworks 310

Does anyone here have any experience with Spartan O/U Shotguns? Two local gunstore owners have recommended them highly (one is a friend and not just out to make a buck) for an entry level O/U. I am thinking of getting one for skeet/trap. Was thinking about getting a Stoeger Condor, but since they have been bought out by Beretta nobody but Mahoneys can order them. Also, the gun shop said the barrels of a Stoeger do not always have both barrels shoot to point of aim.
Old January 30, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
bobeyerite

I have had both shotguns in question. I would take the Spartan anyday and run as fast as I could away from the Stroeger. Their locking system stinks, purely sticks. I shoot a lot of trap and it did not take long and I was looking at my primer when I finished shooting the bird.

Watching a good birddog hunt birds, is like watching
poetry in motion.

I may have grown old, but I have not grown-up yet.
Old January 30, 2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Barr

I went and held a Spartan 310 today at the gunshop after work. I have to admit I was not impressed at all. The gun jiggled so much when it was open it felt like a piece of jello. Way too much articulation in the joint. Nixing this shotgun from the list.
Old January 30, 2006, 07:22 PM   #4
quack fiend

spartan is remington's name for the russian-made baikal--built like a tank, i have 2 of their 3.5" autos and LOVE them
Old January 30, 2006, 10:16 PM   #5
salber01

In my opinion the Spartan/Baikal is the best value in shotguns out there right now. The only complaint I would make is the wood finish. 15 coats of TruOil produced a gun as beautiful as my Browning BT99. These guns are super tough, a tank with 2 barrels. The triggers are mechanical so a dud in the first barrel allows the 2nd to fire. PLUS with 1/4 turn of a screw you can switch from ejectors to extractors and back again, this is especially handy if you shoot clays and hunt with the same gun.
Old February 1, 2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Buckmaster74

SxS or O/U?

I am interested in getting involved in skeet, trap, or clays. I really dont know much about any of them. I have noticed though that most people seem to use O/U's for these sports. I have shouldered both and happen to prefer the feel of a SxS to the O/U. What is the reason for the O/U's popularity in sport shooting?
Old February 1, 2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Barr

I used to have a S/S and they will work fine. Personally I prefer the feel of the foreend of a good O/U. Much more wood to grab onto. That and it is easier for me to line up on the bird with something that is less wide. In other words only one barrel I can see when the gun is mounted.
Old February 1, 2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Buckmaster74

Sorry,

Meant to start a new post.
Old February 1, 2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Hauptmann6

I tried shooting with a SxS but the barrels don't point in the same direction. I mean there is a slight convergence on them that made it hard. An over under doesn't have that, and it's more natural for your eye to follow the top of the barrel than between the two of a SxS.