The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 1, 2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Powderman

Need LE Advice for trade....help!

Just got a project dumped into my lap by our Chief.

The Department wants some select-fire M4's, or M4geries--doesn't matter which as long as they are 3 round burst.

Our armorer (a good old guy, but not too up on the prices of firearms) has contacted a local LE dealer about exchanging some of our FA's for these M4's. I told him to wait, and then we talked to the Chief, and you know the rest.

Here's what they want to trade:

Four MP5's, original HK, LE transferable only, with magazines, in almost new condition.

So--wht say you? What could we get, in the form of M4's or similar designs, and what goodies in exchange for these SMG's?

Need advice NLT Monday night.
Old April 2, 2005, 03:55 AM   #2
Powderman

Bump!
Old April 2, 2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Extremist

Well, I'll chime in, as I've always kept an eye on Post '86/Form 5 LE/Military firearms on the boards, and from what I've seen, MP5 9mm's usually go for 800-1200 depending on condition and features.

Certainly, a new M4 14" or 16" select fire carbine can be had for that price range.

So if you can do even trades for new M4s with the nice features:

- removable carry handle
- M4 handguards, or some kind of rail system
- collapsible stock

I would think you would be doing a good trade.

What has your LE Dealer offered to do?

Regards,
James
NRA H-R-S-HFS-RO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
Old April 2, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

Give Bushmaster's law enforcement section a call at 1-800-998 SWAT and ask what kind of deal they can make. They provide 3-round burst and full auto weapons to many departments across the country and they can sell directly to your agency, so no dealer involved. There is a bunch of post '86 MP5s on the market, so it might take a while to find a dealer wanting one. If they were pre-86 samples, you could get $5-$8K for one.

NRA Life Member
Old April 15, 2005, 09:22 PM   #5
Sir William

I agree. You should be able to either trade even up or make a 1 for 3 swap. This should be a 0 expense deal.
Old May 2, 2005, 07:41 PM   #6
Terry Twit

Even is probably fair.
Old May 6, 2005, 01:03 AM   #7
Reaper351

LE Advice

I am gonna ask a really stupid question....why do they have to have a three round burst? Trigger control comes from the operator, not the selector lever. If you want a three round burst, depress and release the trigger for just three rounds. The cycle rate of the M4's isn't like a mac or an ingram. You and your men should be able to do it consistantly with training. I personally feel there is no need for a three round burst trigger. All it does is limit your options or makes you one click away from where you meant to move the selector lever.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8
Hkmp5sd

Three round burst is a mechanical fix to an operational problem. It is cheaper than the man-hours and ammunition needed to teach a person proper trigger control.
Old May 6, 2005, 11:38 AM   #9
yorec

Also a liability issue for a perceived problem that'll probably never come up. Easy to justify a seldom used burst system since it's still "limited" as opposed to an "unlimited" option that only special situations would justify.

Lawyers screw everything up...
Old May 13, 2005, 01:06 PM   #10
Lazy D

Burst guns suck

M-4 3 round burst gun suck. They use a cam system with two disconnectors that are always working. Even in the semi-auto mode. When you have been shooting single shots, and then switch to burst, you may get 1, 2, or 3 shots. You never know what you are going to get. With proper training, the operator can control the number of shots. We use M4 commandos on our team, and they are awesome. Any department can purchase the Colt weapons for under $900.00 delivered. (minus the FET) Phoenix Distributors in PA. will work trades for just about any old guns an agency has for trade-in.