The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2019, 06:24 PM   #26
k4swb

I've tried it on a few different Hi-Tek coated bullets and the only one I found that it didn't cause a slight problem with was ACME.
The lipstick is thick.

Still, I'll be glad when it is gone.
Old January 6, 2019, 07:09 PM   #27
9MMand223only

Titegroup is probably the worst powder for 9 MM one can buy, maybe. There are vastly better alternatives. Runs too hot, its dirty. Its good if your shooting when its freezing to warm up your hands. Melts the coatings off stuff. Try a different brand. Try N320, or Lovex equivalent, or even Bullseye. All are better. The only, perhaps, good thing about titegroup is that it is provides accurate loads generally and its economical. But saying powder is economical is kind of talking about picking up dimes off the street or something like that
Old January 6, 2019, 08:38 PM   #28
Chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post

On a related note, Hodgdon advertises TG as being non-position sensitive, or however they word it. Well, in my tests with low power 38 Special (lead DEWC's running around 730 f/s), it IS position sensitive. I will give Hodgdon a break on this one though. They were likely talking about how it's usually or supposed to be used - i.e. semi-auto. What I did was an extreme scenario.
I had the exact same experience in light 38 loads. To a T. So I stick with tite group being just for 9mm and 40s&w.
Old January 6, 2019, 08:40 PM   #29
Chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9MMand223only View Post
Titegroup is probably the worst powder for 9 MM one can buy, maybe. There are vastly better alternatives. Runs too hot, its dirty. Its good if your shooting when its freezing to warm up your hands. Melts the coatings off stuff. Try a different brand. Try N320, or Lovex equivalent, or even Bullseye. All are better. The only, perhaps, good thing about titegroup is that it is provides accurate loads generally and its economical. But saying powder is economical is kind of talking about picking up dimes off the street or something like that
??? Apparently Ive missed something. I use it to load about 8k of 9mm a year and have yet to experience any issues. And I use it to shoot FAST. No over heating issue. And I load near the upper end. What am I missing?
Old January 6, 2019, 09:24 PM   #30
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
I had the exact same experience in light 38 loads. To a T. So I stick with tite group being just for 9mm and 40s&w.
Looking back in the archives relative to Titegroup and position sensitivity (some of my own previous posts also, which I had forgotten.), I was reminded that I had been experiencing light recoil and reports on the first shot in a string of six (rapid double-action revolver shooting at steel bowingpin targets). I start from the low-ready position and bring the gun into the shooting position forming a reverse "C". Evidently, the relatively low-density loading of Titegroup would be thrust forward by that maneuver, in the casing and my first shot was always noticeably weaker than the subsequent shots where I assume that the recoil from the subsequent shots more evenly distributed the powder.

I had no such issues when I recently shot some 9MM cartridges loaded with Titegroup and powder coated bullets.

Therefore, having come to believe Titegroup to be problematic for my bowling pin revolver shooting, I will reserve its use in my 9MM and .45 ACP and perhaps my .38 Super .
Old January 6, 2019, 09:29 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Titegroup is probably the worst powder for 9 MM one can buy
Quote:
Apparently Ive missed something.
Nah, I don't think you missed anything. I guess it all depends on how one loads and for what purpose. That said, I would suspect the consensus to be overwhelming that TG is an excellent propellant for range level 9mm ammo. It is superb for mid velocity 115's and 124's. Maybe even a little more than mid-velocity in the case of the 115's. I'm talking plated and/or jacketed here, of course. This type of ammo is right in TG's wheelhouse.

Now if you're into 147's or going to defense level velocities, TG is going to come up short. It's time to reach for something a little slower and less spunky to fill the need.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:23 AM   #32
Charlie98

Quote:
I will rejoice when my supply of TiteGroup is gone. (Less than 1# left!)
Amen, brother! I've got just over 1#... I was looking at a way to burn it up quickly last night. Besides pouring it out in the garden, I might just load it up under all my .45 bullets and be done with it.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 7, 2019, 11:02 AM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Amen, brother! I've got just over 1#... I was looking at a way to burn it up quickly last night. Besides pouring it out in the garden, I might just load it up under all my .45 bullets and be done with it.
I spent about six years looking at the remaining pound that I wasn't using.
Eventually, I just gave it away.
Saved me the trouble of wasting time with a load that I'd never use again.
Old January 7, 2019, 12:23 PM   #34
dahermit

Oh...oh.

Looking back at my targets for my K38 shooting (I keep handloading records via the original target, three-hole punched, with my loading data written on the target, in ring binders.), in regard to Titegroup and powder coating leaving Black soot rings around the bullet holes, my past target show 2.9 Clays 3.4 of 231, and 2.8 of Bullseye, Lee 120 RN2R powder coated bullets doing the same thing.

So, it would seem that it is the powder coating doing the smudging...not Titegroup. I will have to hate it for its other shortcomings...burning hot, powder position sensitivity.
Old January 7, 2019, 02:29 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

Titegroup works well for me in 45 Colt with 255 grain cast bullets. Clean and accurate; I never noticed the heat others have mentioned. But then, I don't fan my revolver and single actions have to be unloaded and are kinda slow to reload, so you simply can't achieve as high of a rate of fire as your auto-pistols do.
Old January 7, 2019, 02:42 PM   #36
dahermit

Quote:
But then, I don't fan my revolver and single actions have to be unloaded and are kinda slow to reload, so you simply can't achieve as high of a rate of fire as your auto-pistols do.
I practice for steel falling plate/steel bowling pin (in the revolver class). I shoot 72 rounds double-action from one of my highly-tuned K38's every day. Inasmuch as those competitions are timed events, each six is shot pretty fast. I use six speed loaders and a six-station loading block from which I replenish the six rounds in the speed loaders as I shoot them. So in all, those 72 rounds are shoot-up pretty quick and the difference in the heat of the gun (especially in the Summer), is quite noticeable when shooting Titegroup.

Being a High-Functioning Asperger's Syndrome person, I have the attention span of a caffeinated gerbil...I do not wait for the gun to cool between strings...I have to shoot the 72 rounds, tumble the brass and handload them for the next day's practice.
Old January 7, 2019, 03:46 PM   #37
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I shoot 72 rounds . . . every day.
Okay, you've mentioned this a couple times now. I feel like I'm missing something.

Why 72 rounds a day? Why not 71, 73, an hour's worth, etc.? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old January 7, 2019, 04:34 PM   #38
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
Okay, you've mentioned this a couple times now. I feel like I'm missing something.

Why 72 rounds a day? Why not 71, 73, an hour's worth, etc.? Inquiring minds want to know.
72/6=12

Two of these? https://www.speedbeez.com/product/sp...ng-block-case/

Or something similar. Or corresponds to the number of speed loaders s/he has.
Old January 7, 2019, 07:42 PM   #39
Charlie98

Quote:
I have the attention span of a caffeinated gerbil
I'm sorry, but that's about the funniest thing I've seen all day!!!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 7, 2019, 10:20 PM   #40
dahermit

Quote:
Six speed loaders = 36 rounds. Six stations in my speed loader block = 36 more rounds. 36+36 = 72 rounds...any more than that I get bored (short attention span) or tired (I am old). Any less would not be enough practice.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:29 PM   #41
Nick_C_S

Heh. I knew the 72 was 12 cylinder's worth - I put that together right away. The 72 figure just seemed "peculiarly regimented," for lack of a better phrase. Thanks for the info.