The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2016, 12:50 PM   #26
Brit

I could not go in to a Hospital with a small arsenal! The Orange County Deputy noted my Volunteer pin for his agency, noted that I could not take the seven pistols into the Hospital, he was stuck at the accident scene till the FHP arrived.

He was super nice. He was 25? I am 80. He figured such a nice old Guy (me) needed a hand.

When my Buddy arrived, he took control of the firearms. Ten minutes later?

Total public help, Police to a Citizen.

Not the best circumstance? What the heck.

The sobering thought, had he hit me a mille second later IE my door? I would most likely have been killed.

Helps to have Irish blood, yes.
Old January 4, 2016, 02:28 PM   #27
TimSr

Quote:
So lets assume you are shopping at the local store and open carrying. An officer approaches you and makes eye contact. Where should we put our hands, etc. so as to present a no threat posture ( like placing both your hands on the steering wheel when stopped in your car).
You obviously don't want to reach for it or make any aggressive moves, but aside from that, I think its kind of stupid to start off assuming that he is only approaching to stop or otherwise harass you just because you are carrying. I'd respond like I would if any other stranger walking in my direction made eye contact, and say hello and probably smile. Sometimes a little basic communication can go a lot further than playing head games, and doing a Kabuki mind reading dance or pre-cockfight strut.

Maybe he wants to tell you about the no guns sign on the front door. Maybe he wants to find out where you bought your holster because he likes it. Maybe he is going to tell you it started raining and you left your window down. Maybe he wants to ask if you saw the ammo sale in the store. Maybe he just wants to ask if you know what isle the green beans are in.

Sure some cops are total jerks. So are some people who open carry. Most of either group are capable of interacting like normal human beings.
Old January 4, 2016, 02:54 PM   #28
Sharkbite

Quote:
Make eye contact and establish dominance; I see no reason why I should be illegally detained
I worked for a large SO in a State that allowed open carry. However ANY business owner could refuse to allow you on the Property while OCing, if he so chose. His property= his rules.

If that property owner called and reported someone OCing and requested a officer to respond and "ask" the subject to leave the property, our dispatch would ask the business owner to just politly ask the person OCing to disarm or leave.

Should the business owner not be comfortable with that level of interaction with an armed individual. We would respond and make the request for the business owner.

That put us (the Deputies) in legal standing for the contact.

So... You are not going to "dominate" that situation. You ARE going to leave the property. Either on your own or with my assistance
Old January 4, 2016, 08:49 PM   #29
Mobuck

turn on cellphone recorder and hold in an obvious position
Old January 4, 2016, 09:18 PM   #30
Targa

Ahh I gotcha now Brit, sometimes my comprehension is a bit lacking. Very nice, glad you made it through that crash well.
Old January 4, 2016, 10:23 PM   #31
TheDevilThatYouKnow

Quote:
So lets assume you are shopping at the local store and open carrying. An officer approaches you and makes eye contact.
Quote:
Make eye contact and establish dominance; I see no reason why I should be illegally detained for non-criminal conduct.
Quote:
If he continues to threaten bare you teeth and spread your arms. It will make you look bigger. remember, he's just as scared of you as you are of him.
Pfffft. Obviously the correct advice is to do an adrenaline dump and blade off at 45-degrees, haven't you been keeping up on Arfcom?
Old January 5, 2016, 12:16 AM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

TFL's T&T subforum is for serious discussion about tactics and training. There are other more appropriate venues on the web for those interested in yanking chains and trying to be funny.