The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 26, 1999, 08:19 PM   #1
BREE

I am trying to find information on Herters rifles. Would an XK3, 30.06 in good shape for $250.00 be a worthwhile purchace? Thanks.
Old September 26, 1999, 09:16 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

BREE:
My oldest son inherited a Herters U9 bolt action rifle from his grandfather. They are excellant rifles, and if I'm not mistaken, I haven't seen my son's in many years, is on a mauser action. In my opinion the value is there for $250.00.

Due to the age, I'm assuming when it was made, I would check head space and bore.

HJN
Old September 29, 1999, 12:33 PM   #3
Paul B.

Bree. According to my copy of BOLT ACTION RIFLES by Frank de Haas, the Herter's XK3 was a Mauser action made in Germany. Later models of Herters Mausers were made in Yugoslavia and were marked M-XK-3. They bore a stamp with the figures ZCZ within a circle. Mr. de Haas figured the ones made in Germany were stamped as such.
These were the J9 herter's rifles. The U9 was based on the British BSA Monarck action, a modified Mauser push feed type.
For what it is worth, the Mark X Mausers that were imported a few years ago were built by ZCZ. I had two, a .375 H&H and a .300 Win. Mag. Both were highly accurate and well made rifles.
I would imagine that a J9 with made in Germany might command a slight premium in price, but either way I would jump on that rifle at that price if it is in good shape.
Paul B.
Old September 29, 1999, 05:49 PM   #4
BREE

Thanks guys. This information is just what I was looking for. I hope I can still get it.
Old December 20, 2004, 10:24 PM   #5
tmparrish

Herter's 30.06 xk3

Paul B. I have a chance to purchase a Herter's 30.06 xk3. A friend of mine has it and I know him to be reputable. He wants $300. He has owned it for about 30 years and has shot it very little. It has a European cheek piece so I'm not really sure who made it. I will look for the designations you gave and try to get a read as to where it was made. I was really interested in knowing if you thought it was worth the $300. Thanks for the post.