The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Delta20

can you convert a .270 to 308?

I have a stock Remington 700ADL in .270 and was wanting to change stocks and go to a heavy barrel in .308 win. Is it possible? If so what would it take?
Also I have heard you can lighten the trigger on a stock Rem 700? Is that true?

Thanks in advance,
Delta20
Old March 11, 2006, 05:45 AM   #2
mtnboomer

Changing the caliber from .270 Winchester to .308 Winchester only requires changing barrels and, possibly, a new follower and spacer in the magazine well. May I suggest changing to .30-06 instead, as a barrel is all that you would need. The rim of the .270 and .30-06 are identical and the .308 is simply a shortened .30-06.

Any competent gunsmith can safely adjust the pull weight of your trigger.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old March 11, 2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Toney

Them rem barrels are around $200 and you still got to pay the smith. Two rifles are better than one

The trigger is easy DON'T mess with the single screw on the rear of the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The bottom screw in the front as holding the rifle shooting will lower pull, the top screw adjusts overpull

I've read it's not safe to adjust them under 3lbs. I've got my 270 at 3lbs and my 243 at 2.5lds
Old March 11, 2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Foxman

270 is long action as is the 30-06, the 308 is short length action, it is likely that you wont have enough clearance to cycle the 270 ammo, get a gunsmith to advise you.
Old March 12, 2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Dave Haven

Don't try this at home, or anywhere else...

Though NOT recommended, it is possible to fire a .308 cartridge in a .270. It generates extremely high chamber pressure and bolt thrust.
My Dad has a .308 case that one of his customers fired in a .270. It separated the case and mushroomed the case head. The action held the pressure and only suffered minor damage to the extractor.
I'll post some pictures of the case when I get a chance.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:26 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Foxman,

I think you transposed. He is starting with the .270 long stroke and wanting to shorten it.

Delta20,

I vote for mntnboomer's suggestion to convert to 30-06 unless you have some desparate desire to shoot .308 surplus ammo? Much of it isn't worth the bother, IMHO. Good for a class III rattle maybe. You can get just a little bit more out of an '06 anyway.

Dave,

I'm guessing that wasn't done on purpose. I did have occasion to witness the puzzlement of a fellow with a borrowed hunting rifle looking at his missed target and then quizically at the extracted .308 case. It lacked a shoulder and sported a .40+ caliber mouth. "Is it s'posed to look like that," he asked? The in-law who'd loaned him the rifle had told him it was .308. I had the pleasure of introducing this good fellow to the science of reading barrel stampings. In this case, the stamping argued more in favor of 30-06.

Nick
Old March 14, 2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Foxman

Unclenick, yep dont know how I did that. The only thing I wouldve mentioned was the bolt throw is long for the short cartridge and the magazine would need modding to keep the 308 cases in the right position. I would also suggest that the 30-06 is the way to go, not least its a straight barrel swap and the stroke is right, but also you have such a wide selection of ammo and bullet weight for reloading. Sorry about that, I'm getting older and the memory banks are getting less!
Old March 14, 2006, 11:02 PM   #8
Dave Haven

Quote:
Dave,

I'm guessing that wasn't done on purpose.
You are absolutely 100% correct with your assessment!
Quote:
I did have occasion to witness the puzzlement of a fellow with a borrowed hunting rifle looking at his missed target and then quizically at the extracted .308 case. It lacked a shoulder and sported a .40+ caliber mouth. "Is it s'posed to look like that," he asked? The in-law who'd loaned him the rifle had told him it was .308. I had the pleasure of introducing this good fellow to the science of reading barrel stampings. In this case, the stamping argued more in favor of 30-06.
I've heard stories of that happening as well. The case from the .308 in a .270 looked similar, except for the case separation and mushroomed head from the pressure needed to size a .308" diameter bullet down to .277" diameter.
Old June 17, 2006, 05:20 AM   #9
ghost3x7

I've coverted several Savage 110's from .270 to .308 with minimal headaches. the only real problem being fabrication of the mag block/follower. Just remember that the magblock goes IN FRONT of the follower, and your gonna have to match the feed angle of the ramp. (This also prevents some idiot from sticking the wrong ammo in the rifle.
Old June 18, 2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Harry Bonar

270 to 308

Dear Shooter:
I think another poster has already told you not to go with the 308 (you have a standard length which is already set up for 270 - 30-06 length cartridges!), and go with the 30-06!
The 30-06 is far superior to the 308 and a far better case. Yes, the 308 with lighter bullets will be a little faster than the 06 - but that is ONLY the result of the 308 pressure ratings! Loaded to the 308 pressure the 06 is far the better cartridge. Actually, the 270 you have is an extremely fine cartridge and I cannot see the rationale of going to any other cartridge!
But, if you must, you will need a new bbl. follower parts etc - it's not a good idea to go from a 270 length case to a shorter case as is the 7.62X51!
The actual suggestion I have is go and find either a new or slightly used rifle in 308 and keep your 270!
I do understand your desire for a heavy bbl. 308! Savage is a real sleeper and the target version is par- excellance! So is Howa, and yes Remington as a police weight rifle.
Why don't you try one of the Savage heavy bbl. jobs - they are really excellent and the whole rifle would cost VERY LITTLE more that a good bbl and gunsmith fees!
Harry B.