The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2016, 08:26 PM   #1
jhinalabama

Houston I think we have a problem

This is the end of my rem 700 sps tac .308 muzzle. That will not shoot a good group. What are your thoughts, this is the first one I have ever seen.rem 700 muzzle.JPG
Old November 23, 2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Mr. Hill

Yeah that's a problem....
Old November 23, 2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Iwanttoshootbettter

Discouraging, round count bore age ?
Old November 23, 2016, 09:36 PM   #4
TXAZ

Ouch! cutting 1/2" - 1" off the end might be an option of last resort if a smith can't repair it.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 23, 2016, 10:25 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I'm no expert, but that looks like tool chatter to me. The QC never should have passed that one...

Call, then send it to Remington??
Old November 23, 2016, 10:26 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Discouraging, round count bore age ?
It is generally held that gun barrels wear-out from erosion in the throat. The picture looks more like the physical damage caused by something harder than (or as hard as) the barrel steel, like the steel core of a barrel brush breaking and jamming into the end of the rifling. In short, the problem was not caused by a high round count...somebody jammed something into the muzzle of that rifle that should not have been put there (if that gun was not new). Or it was a manufacturing defect...if the gun is new. If that defect is only near the muzzle, then as someone posted, the affected portion can be cut off and the barrel recrowned.
Old November 23, 2016, 10:53 PM   #7
valkyrierdr

That looks bad. That will definately ruin accuracy.
Old November 23, 2016, 10:57 PM   #8
lefteye

I suspect that damage had to be caused by something harder than the barrel steel, and therefore, was done during the manufacturing of the rifle.
Old November 23, 2016, 11:01 PM   #9
Rifletom

I agree with lefteye. Is that gun new? Ain't good.
44 AMP made a good point also.
Old November 23, 2016, 11:56 PM   #10
jhinalabama

Yes, it's a new rifle. I bought it new last year. I never could get it to group good. I had inspected the rifle for defects and could never find anything wrong with it until I used a magnifying glass. The picture picks up the defect very good.
Old November 24, 2016, 12:02 AM   #11
jhinalabama

I think it looks like tool chatter also. It's only got about 600 rounds through it. But I know shooting it did not cause that.
Old November 24, 2016, 12:46 AM   #12
Snyper

A decent machine shop would be able to hone that out without cutting the barrel shorter.

Another alternative would be to counterbore it so as to create a deep
"target crown"
Old November 24, 2016, 01:07 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...bought it new last year..." Which warrantee do you have? Remington shows a 1 year and a 2 year limited warrantee. If you didn't 'register' the purchase you may be SOL.
https://www.remington.com/support/fi...ty-information
Old November 24, 2016, 01:09 PM   #14
jglsprings

Quote:
I'm no expert, but that looks like tool chatter to me. The QC never should have passed that one...

Call, then send it to Remington??
Yep, I'd talk to Remington too.

Commas save lives...
Old November 24, 2016, 05:04 PM   #15
jhinalabama

I sent Remington an email describing the problem. Remington's contact us form didn't have a place to attach a picture. I'll let you know what they say.
Old November 24, 2016, 05:04 PM   #16
taylorce1

That may or may not be the problem with how your rifle shoots. There are plenty of posts around the web of rough barrels still shooting well. I'm guessing those are tool marks from making the barrel, and it's worth seeing if Remington will fix it. However, don't be surprised if a new barrel doesn't fix all your accuracy issues .

Just make sure you only fix one thing at a time.
Old November 25, 2016, 03:30 PM   #17
jhinalabama

Wow, so much negativity in that post. taylorce1
Old November 25, 2016, 03:55 PM   #18
50 shooter

Pics of tool chatter that I've seen on the interwebs are different from yours. Yours go all the way to the crown and your crown doesn't look all that well either. If Remington doesn't help you out, find a competent smith that can.

They will suggest that the crown be cut off and then they'll redo it. The question that you should have for Remington is how their QC let that leave the factory. That and who checked the barrel after it was reamed? Multiple QC fails on their end.

Good luck with whatever you end up with, if you were thinking about replacing the barrel with something better... now would be a good time.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 25, 2016, 04:20 PM   #19
Panfisher

Looks like the crown was completely off center and tilted, causing the tool to eat into the rifling. Remington should easily be able to realize that it is their fault, as to whether or not they will stand behind it, don't know.
Old November 25, 2016, 04:43 PM   #20
Wyosmith

E-mail Remington that picture. I am betting they will re-barrel that rifle free.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:24 PM   #21
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinalabama
Wow, so much negativity in that post. taylorce1
There was nothing negative in that post at all. You stated you couldn't see the marks unless magnified, so I'm guessing you had to magnify it as well for the picture. You can't tell if the crown is good or bad, because of the angle of it to take the picture. Plus having rough bore might not affect the accuracy as much as you think.

You didn't mention what groups you are shooting, and what groups you are expecting to get out of the rifle. Plus you haven't mentioned what you've done already to determine that the barrel is your only problem with the rifle. I know very few people who will shoot 600 rounds out of a rifle that won't group. I know I'd either have traded it off or had it at a gunsmith long before I put 600 rounds down range, if it wasn't showing any kind of potential early on.
Old November 27, 2016, 03:56 PM   #22
tobnpr

Interesting. I don't know their process for crowning, but there's certainly no reason a cutting tool should have been any further inside the bore than the depth of the crown. And logistically, spinning at a couple thousand rpm on a CNC- it would be impossible for an errant tool to gouge a single land without tearing up the rest of the bore at that depth unless it got jabbed in there somehow before cutting began.

I tend to think this was something that happened when the barrel blank was cut to length before crowning and it was never noticed; it'll be interesting to see what Rem says. Along with Taylorce I'm not so sure this would affect accuracy to a large degree even though it's ugly as hell. It's a low spot and the bullet should glide right past it- and the crown itself (looks like a recessed flat target crown) is not affected suggesting to me that the base of the bullet will exit cleanly as will the gases without being pushed off-center.

If I'm seeing this correctly, looks like they use a 60 degree counterbore where the crown intersects the bore rather than a sharp 90 degree edge. I often do this as well though it seems to be a hotly debated subject sometimes.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 30, 2016, 04:40 PM   #23
jhinalabama

Thanks for all the replies and input. I have been in contact with Remington they have opened a work order and ups is stopping by to pick it up tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what they say / do.
Old January 11, 2017, 12:00 PM   #24
jhinalabama

I got my rifle back today. Remington said they chamfered and honed the barrel. I will post rang results soon.
Old January 11, 2017, 02:43 PM   #25
dgludwig

Thanks for the update. Still have to wonder how the defect got there in the first place. If it was from the manufacturer (which I can only assume it was), there were probably more than a few barrels with the same defect rolled out that day.