The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 21, 2016, 05:17 PM   #26
winchester1917

I have no intention nor desire to shoot this gun. Ultimately I need to sell it for my dad. I'm trying to make sure I get a fair price for him, and that requires knowing more about it than I originally did.
Since then, I found a Greener representative in the US and he was able to tell me it's an F16 grade gun with the "facile princeps" action made in or shortly after 1891. So it's not a super high value gun (like those that sell for 10s of 1,000s) but still valuable. My next step will be narrowing down a range of value and eventually settling on an asking price.
It's been an interesting search.
I'm thankful for all of your input.
Old April 15, 2016, 11:26 AM   #27
briandg

That's a wonderful thing.

As has been very correctly said, welded steel barrels aren't even remotely solid, and they did have a certain number of pores. Pounding the steel into a solid welded tube over a smooth, are mandrel prevents some of the imperfections, but it's still just a bandaid for the inner surface

Inmates, sulfur compounds, and soot were pounded into every pore with every round, and cleaning out gunk from microscopic crevices can't be done. After a century, even well cared for, it's conceivable that some impeccable may have gone as far as putting serious defects almost all the way through the steel, and a weak spot in a weld might have an entire section just unravel.
Old April 24, 2016, 08:17 PM   #28
Tinbucket

Greener

Back in mid Sixties, I shot a friends SXS 10 gauge magnum, hunting squirrels. Didn't shoot but one.scraps was all that was left.
I liked the gun and don't remember any problems with it, over the several years i shot it.
I don't thineven 1 k there were any "magnum" load for it.
paper shells. I don't remember loads.
They sell different length 10 gauge as well as 12 and other gauges, in Europe.
I haven't seen any ads for them in ten gauge as it is not used that much here. Plenty of two and one half and even two inch, and 1 and three quarter inch twelve gauge shells though.
I would be tempted to shoot it with appropriate loads, provided it has been cared for.
I do remember clearly seeing seperate strands of wire and square rods, somewhere in the action area of the barrels.
I wish i could trace down my odl friend and see if that external hammer side by side could be bought.