The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2006, 05:15 PM   #1
Flavio

First shotgun

Today I went to walmart and a put on layaway a single break barrel 12 gauge shotgun, dont really remember the brand of it. Im gonna use that shotgun for trap shooting. Does any of you guys have a shotgun like this one ? And by they way what kind of shells would you recommend ??
Old May 1, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Minator

Ive owned an encore version similiar to that it was ok but got annoying reloading so often so I eventually sold it but its a good starter.

On types of shells to use I have never come across a bad batch of shotshells also you haft know the measurements of the chamber 3" ,3"-1/2 and etc. to figure out what your going to use.

For self defense 00 buckshot is one of the best descent penetration low recoil and pretty cheap. Also I would stick to 2-3/4's for slugs until you get used to the recoil because even they hammer your arm.
Old May 1, 2006, 06:02 PM   #3
kudu

Quote:
And by they way what kind of shells would you recommend ??
Stick to the lightest target shells you can find to start out with with #'s 8.5, 8's, or 7.5's for longer trap shots. Try some of the Superlight Target loads from Winchester and Remington with 1oz of shot and about 1200fps. It has been my experience with the break open single shots like the NEF, which is what I think you have bought from Walmart, that they really thump your shoulder good. I would get a good recoil pad installed first thing, Decelerator from Pachmayr is my favorite.

Save your premium target shells and sell them to other target shooters that reload, about .03 cents a piece for Rem STS emptys in 12 gauge, AA's aren't going too much anymore.
Old May 1, 2006, 06:04 PM   #4
John G

My first gun was my Grandpa's single-shot .16 gauge. He called it "The Meat Gun," on account of one shot = one chance to bring home dinner. I used to carry extra rounds between the fingers of my left hand.
Old May 1, 2006, 09:41 PM   #5
rugerdude

Unless the recoil really won't bother you, then a 10 dollar slip-on recoil pad will be well worth it.

You'll want to use 8's or 7 1/2's for trap. Federal, Winchester, whatever's cheapest unless you get really serious.

happy shooting,
rugerdude

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old May 3, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6
famine

Since your going to Walmart anyways the best shells to get for starting out in skeet would be one of the 100 round packs for around $15, I'd stick with remington or federal, the cheap winchester shells have a tendancy to stick, in my 870 at least.
Famine
Old May 3, 2006, 06:08 PM   #7
damage inc

Like famine said, while you're at Walmart you can pick up some shells there. If you are completely new to shotguns or are small framed, try the Winchester AA or Remington STS shells. They should say light target on them. Don't get Winchester Super Sports. If you don't mind the extra kick, you can get the 100 shell value packs like mentioned before. They are higher velocity shells but the extra kick isn't really noticable. But if recoil is a problem, try the lighter shells first.

For trap use 7 1/2 shot or 8 shot. With 8 shot you can put more pellets in the air, but 7 1/2 are harder hitting and have a little more range. Try both and see which you prefer. 7 1/2 is preferable for handicap trap.

Modified choke is better to start off with. Later you can use full.

Shotgun World is a good forum and has alot of information on clay shooting and hunting.