The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 26, 2018, 11:01 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Ruger 77 270 Win.

Ruger has discontinued the stainless Hawkeyes so I figured I had better get one, as it turns out, a 270. I am new to this cartridge. What do you think of the Ruger m77 in 270? I would like to hear your experiences with 270 Win. hunting as well as recommended optics, ammo, and zero.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old March 26, 2018, 11:44 PM   #2
taylorce1

I Love the .270 Win cartridge, it will do every thing you need a hunting cartridge to do in the lower 48 states. I've never owned a M77 Ruger, though I have friends who love them and swear by them. I think you'll be fine with your choice of rifle.

Optics is a personal choice, it is really hard to beat a good 3-9X40 for all around hunting. However, my .270 rifles one wears a 3.5-10X40 the other a 4-12X40 scope. One scope is a Leupold VX3 and the other an old Japan made Bushnell.

Start with 130 grain ammunition from different manufacturers and find what shoots best in your rifle. Start with the cheap stuff first, I find Federal Power Shock (Blue box) is usually very accurate. It is also the cheapest stuff around here, usually right at $20 a box.
Old March 27, 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
bamaranger

Broad subject/question, here goes.

The Ruger 77MkII in my opinion is a dandy rifle. The classic features of the bolt system are there, 3-position safety, controlled feed, claw extractor, blade ejector. The trigger mechanism is still fairly robust and simple too. I really like the integral scope mounts and Ruger rings. I have only one example of a MkII, and it does have some negatives. The bolt travel is notchy/rough, I suppose that could be polished up. When purchased, the trigger was far to heavy.....that has been corrected. My lone MkII is very consistent with accuracy, plunking about ALL ammo fed it into 1.25" and landing close enought to POA that mixing ammo is not a real concern. With select loads it goes sub MOA on occassion.

The .270 as a hunter? My .270 is not a Ruger, but a competitor's bolt rifle. My experience is with whitetails. I have only taken 3 whitetails with the .270, all were shot using a reload launching the 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I would like to get 3000 fps from that slug, but cannot in my 22" barreld rifle.
But no complaints on killing power, all went down after a short death sprint.

The .270 is a necked down '06. It shoots a bit flatter,and kicks a bit less by most accounts than its .30 caliber sibling. A vintage sport named Jack O'Conner was a huge fan and shot it around the world, taking all manner of game. From a 24" barrel making 3000 fps with its best bullets, one has to make the jump to magnum rifles to get a faster, flatter combo. That said, the new darling 6.5CRM may be flatter, I dunno.

Scopes. I like tidy scopes and practical magnification. I still believe that a 3x9x40 is all the scope most need for east coast/south shooting. However, the new standard seems to be the 4x12x42?? (not sure on the bell diameter). My scopes are affordable Leupold's , mostly Vari-X-II's and II(a)'s, and I hunt a number of fixed power Leupolds as well. The only other brand I will endorse is Burris. All my Burris's are made in USA and not the import variety. I've got a drawer full of broke Tasco's, Simmons, Bushnells.
Old March 27, 2018, 04:17 AM   #4
std7mag

I have a 77 MKII, albeit in 257 Roberts.
One of the most accurate rifle i own. Even though i don't own any inaccurate rifles.
Hands down best looking rifle i own. All my others are synthetic stocked.

While i don't prefer the 270, other than bullet selection there isn't a darn thing wrong with the cartridge. Many deer, antelope, elk fall to one every year.

Good choice of rifle and cartridge.

Happy hunting!
Old March 27, 2018, 08:18 AM   #5
Rifletom

I have two .270's and shoot 150's out of both. My Mod77 MK II has a 22" barrel and seems to like a hefty charge of IMR 4831 to get 2800+ fps MV over the screens. Nicely accurate.
My other .270 is a Sako Finnbear with a 24" barrel and it prefers a close to max charge of H-4831sc. MV is 2860+/- over the screens and is superbly accurate. I prefer the 150's over the 130's, as they seemed more accurate in my rifles. You'll really like that M77.
Old March 27, 2018, 08:30 AM   #6
dvdcrr

Thank you for the replies.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old March 27, 2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

130-grain for deer, 150-grain for elk. Been working quite well since the 1930s.
Old March 27, 2018, 09:25 AM   #8
SPEMack618

I have an M77, 77/22, and a Hawkeye. I love the rifle. And Ruger is doing a great disservice to themselves as they discontinue assorted models of the Hawkeye.

At NRA AM last year I asked a Ruger rep about it and he looked shocked that I would dare question why someone would want an American over the Hawkeye.

The American is a serviceable rifle but not a Hawkeye.

That being said, I got the last stainless all weather Hawkeye in the Gander Mountain inventory chain right before liquidation began. Love it. Great rifle.
Mine was in .30-06 government. That being said, you'll have nothing but good things to say about the .270 Winchester. Jack O'Connor knew what he was doing. 130 grn Sierra Game Kings for most game. 150 grn fo elk as Art pointed out.

And Sierra is starting to make MatchKings for the .270 now, too.
Old March 27, 2018, 10:38 AM   #9
Rifletom

You should see how a 160gr Nosler Partition works on Elk from a .270. Like lightning.
Old March 27, 2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Don Fischer

I've only ever had one 270. Got stolen long before I ever got to hunt with it. Only reason I bought it was it was a Harrington-Richardson on a Sako L61R action. Boy that was a beautiful rifle. Probably never have another. Cartridge was just boring to me but I'm sure it will do everything any other cartridge will do. Maybe I read to much Jack O'conner and just got bored that way!
Old March 27, 2018, 12:00 PM   #11
Wyosmith

Rifletom is 100% correct about the 270 and elk. (On about everything else too.)

I am on the 3rd barrel in one of my 270s. I have killed deer, elk, antelope, bear, horses, cattle and sheep with a 270 and I have probably see about 3X more game killed with 270s than I have personally killed in my years of guiding hunters. I have seen 2 moose killed with a 270. And one bull buffalo, killed by this man.

http://4dc.b85.mwp.accessdomain.com/...ionally-known/

and here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEFpD0J6aU

You have a GREAT rifle in a GREAT caliber. Use good bullets that don't come apart on impact, and you will never look back.
Old March 27, 2018, 12:17 PM   #12
RC20

Great cartridge. Only limited by bullet choices vs an 06 and not hindered by that.

Certainly capable of taking any game up to Moose.

I never hunted with one but a family member does and works perfectly well.

While I would probably go with 30-06 as more versatile, for hunting I don't believe it would make a whits worth of difference.
Old March 27, 2018, 12:32 PM   #13
kraigwy

Gee thinks WYOSmith, just what I needed, another book. But it looks good, just ordered it.

Back to the topic: I use a Model 70 Featherweight in 270 as my primary hunting rilfe. Hornday 150 Interbonds is my go to bullet for elk and it works.

Going to try Hornady's 145 ELD-X this year.

With the several long range 277 bullets coming out now, the 270 it turning out to be quite the long range hunter. Not that it was slacking before. In the right rifle it would be a pretty good Long Range Precision Rifle Cart. also.

I've banged a lot of gongs with mine to 1400 yards.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 27, 2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

270 cartridge.
I've never read of anyone being disappointed to a point of selling their 270 rifle. As far as a scope.
Buy a scope that matches your rifles intention's. One that enhances your shooting ability not one that marginalizes it. And the same applies to your scopes mounting hardware.

If your a home reloader.
IMR 4350 is the powder to use.
130 gr. bullets garner outstanding accuracy and overwhelming impact.
Ballistic Tip'ed bullets create the most meat damage.
All Copper bullets have two reputations i.e bloviating better performance than a lead Soft point & known to drain wallet's of there Andrew Jackson's.
Old March 27, 2018, 01:32 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...discontinued the stainless Hawkeyes..." Not according to their site. No. 270's though. However, the .270 will kill any game in North America, including big bears. Jack O'Connor swore by it. It's all about using the right bullet and shot placement.
"...just what I needed, another book..." You cannot have too many books.
Old March 27, 2018, 02:18 PM   #16
std7mag

I agree, never too many books..

I forgot about your optics question.
I have a Redfield Revenge 4-12X42 with the Accu Ranger Varmint reticle.
Prarrie dogs to elk, if it's within 600 yards i can range it and hit it with just the scope.
No rangefinder needed.
Old March 27, 2018, 02:24 PM   #17
SPEMack618

They have discontinued the "All Weather" which was stainless with the black composite stock.

They still have a stainless Hawkeye with a laminate stock.
Old March 27, 2018, 02:41 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

My go-to, 'ol reliable, get-'er-done hunting rifle is a Ruger M77 Mk II in .270 Win. (A stainless / laminate "Sporter", in this case.)
It has never let me down, and always makes me smile when I put it on paper to verify that nothing has changed.

I did fit a Timney trigger and sear, as the factory parts were pretty bad (long, rough, variable pull of about 9 lbs, with no clean break).
It's been great since then.

Almost 10 years ago, I set out to create "One Load to Rule Them All" in that .270. It took a few years to get all of the temperature sensitivity testing done with various powders, but I ended up settling on a Nosler 140 gr Partition over Reloder 19.
The load is no speed demon, at just 2,790 fps, but it's sub-MoA from sub-freezing to over 100 F (Elk to Antelope) and velocity barely deviates from the average at extreme temperatures.

Since then, I haven't wasted my time with anything else. I like 130 gr bullets, and think that's where the cartridge is at its best; but I ended up with a great 140 gr load and don't feel like starting over.

If, for God knows what reason, I had to sell everything else and keep just one 'hunting' rifle, it would be that 77 Mk II.
Heirlooms and even the rifles that I built myself would go away before I parted with that .270.
Old March 27, 2018, 07:15 PM   #19
Drm50

I have a Ruger M77 in 270 from the 1st year they were out. I was big on pre 64
M70 Wins at the time, which were bring premium prices at the time. I just bought the 77 to try one out. I put a 6X scope on it and I shot so well I still have
it, which is saying a lot around my house. Over the years I've had several in
257R, 30/06, 243 , 7mag & 300W mag and one Ultra lite in 22/250. The only
one that was a disappointment was the 22/250. I have herd the early 77s had
Douglas barrels, I don't know if this is true. I own and have owned many Ruger
rifles #1s, #3s, 77s, 10/22s, 44 carbines and 77/22s and only have had one that
didn't shoot well.
Old March 28, 2018, 08:12 AM   #20
hooligan1

Man I really dont know where to start with the .270 Wi chester.
I have had a few good ones, my buddy is relentless in his quest for my 03a3 custom I had built 3 years ago, he may take that one home this week, it shoots lights out with everything Ive tested.
My "Keeper" is a MarkX .270 winchester that Ive had reblued and am now awaiting a stock from a pi ked blank to be turned and inletted for it. Its not finicky either, but the bullet I really think shines in it is a 150 grn Btip from Nosler, I havent chronoed this load but it should be at around 2850-2900 fps, took a dandy buck with it this deer season at 225 yards perfect shot.
This rifle wont be goin anywhere unless its in my hands....
So in a nutshell yes the .270 has worn a smooth spot on my heart...
Old March 28, 2018, 10:33 AM   #21
Tallest

My wife's grandfather has M77 in 270, so very similar sans the stainless. In his work shop, the tops of three walls are covered with antler racks. I counted this past season while we were processing deer, and there are 37 sets... and that's just the bucks. I asked him how many of those were shot with his 270. "All of them." He said, "That's the only gun I've used for deer since 1974."

Now he is only a moderately avid hunter, so he hasn't killed hundreds and hundreds of deer with it. But he has killed a lot, and he really likes that rifle, it has never really failed him.

He had a friend do several boxes of hand loads for him a number of years ago. I don't know the powder or the bullet brand, but they are 130 grain soft points (I think they're Sierras - 130 grn Gamekings - 1820s but I can't be certain) in Hornady brass.

It's zeroed at 200 yds, and when one of tests it several weeks before season, it's spot on... year after year after year!

It has an older leupold 3-9x40, and it will probably be on there until the barrel is replaced, if not after.

Basically, I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially if you enjoy getting a finely tuned load for it!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old March 28, 2018, 10:39 AM   #22
joed

The .270 is a great cartridge, one of the few I have wanted but haven't owned. I don't see how you can go wrong with it.
Old March 28, 2018, 02:46 PM   #23
dvdcrr

Picked up a 4.5-14X40 Leupold, and three different 130 gr. factory loads to try. Will get back after results.
Old March 30, 2018, 06:30 PM   #24
stagpanther

I have a limited edition 77 in 35 whelen--you might call it a "necked up 270" Gorgeous rifle that shoots very well though I haven't taken it hunting yet. I bought a ruger American in 270 when they first came out--I've shot sub-MOA at 200yds with hornady's American whitetail ammo--I still can't quite figure out how they do it with an interloc bullet--their 300 win mag AW--same thing.
Old March 30, 2018, 08:21 PM   #25
dvdcrr

Still waiting for good weather, but got the Ruger m77 sighted in and enjoyed smacking some steel at 200 yds. The best three shots were pretty much touching at 100 yds with a custom load. Best factory group was Rem 130 gr. Core lokt . Winds were gusting to around 25 mph which did not help.
Rifle is impressive.