The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 6, 2018, 10:21 AM   #1
Brutus

fulton armory m1 carbine

Bit on the pricey side but gets good reviews. Is it worth the extra bucks?
Old May 6, 2018, 10:40 AM   #2
COSteve

I guess that that is for you to decide. Forged and milled receiver and Criterion barrel are great but they are spendy. I looked at them but they were too rich for my blood so I got a NIB AO carbine back in early 2012 as my pristine '43 NPM GI carbine was too good of condition to shoot.

After over 5K rds through my AO, I'm tickled with it. Very reliable for a carbine and it's at least twice as accurate as my GI version with it's 1+ muzzle. Would I buy another AO? Yep, I still think it's great value for the money, however, after 5K rds of my full power handloads, it's still looking and shooting like new so I don't see any reason to get another one.

BTW, AIM Surplus's Korean M1 Carbine mags, both the 15rd and 30rd, have been very reliable as well.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:24 AM   #3
gshayd

Its all about the budget. On some of the sites, I have seen Rock-Ola M1 carbines below $900. If you are happy with a reproduction AO would fir the bill.
Old May 8, 2018, 01:09 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

There ain't no repro Carbine that's worth $1600 USD. You can buy a real one, at auction, from the CMP for $700 to a bit under a grand.
My old Plainfield will shoot way better than 3 MOA with my handloads too. And it doesn't have a "Match" barrel.
Old May 8, 2018, 05:23 PM   #5
agtman

Quote:
fulton armory m1 carbine.
Bit on the pricey side but gets good reviews. Is it worth the extra bucks?
Whether it's "worth the extra bucks" depends on what you want.

I've dealt with F.A. for a long time. Their M1 carbines are mix-masters with some commercial parts, like a Criterion barrel, but they run without issues and Criterion tubes are great shooters if that's what you're looking for.

I have a couple of M1s that were re-barreled with Criterions, and they're hands-down my most accurate Garands.

For collector purposes, pure USGI (even a GI mixmaster) is always preferable, but some have accuracy issues, not to mention reliability issues, just like low-end commercial copies (e.g., Arlington Ord. )

The real question is: are you wanting a 'shooter' to run hard at the range? ... Or a Safe-Queen for the collection?
Old May 11, 2018, 05:11 PM   #6
fourbore

Quote:
The real question is: are you wanting a 'shooter' to run hard at the range? ... Or a Safe-Queen for the collection?
I hear the phrase "safe queen" like a-hole or jack ass. What about nomal people who do a normal amount o shooting at the range and a little hunting and plinking.

You got the 10% who shoot the holy crap out of an AR so they can go online and brag about thier round count. I have an AR and I dont shoot any more than another gun. I never run anything hard. I dont have any "safe queens". I dont worry about the end of the world or zombies.

I also dont own an M1 carbine, but; I have been considering Fulton, new Inland or an old GI guns. I dont see any obvious "best" choice. I mean for us normal guys. I read this thread. No closer to a decision. I dont see what is the big deal about shooting $1000 GI gun? What are people afraid of?

I never saw a $700 GI gun. I have seen some for $1000 that looked like a pile of garbage and others priced the same that looked very good. I do buy into owning a piece of history. I do not think a $1600 Fulton price is too much for quality. I just dont know if I want to go that route. To the OP, I think yes, it is worth the extra if you want the best. Just a gut feel as another patient shopper.

I would not want anything Kahr/Auto Ordnance even as a gift. I dont care how low cost they are. Beside the company bad rep they don even look right. If that is what agtman suggested, I agree on that much.

Last edited by fourbore; May 11, 2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old May 11, 2018, 06:51 PM   #7
Brutus

My desire for one is fueled by history, the straight walled case which makes reloading easier, looks like fun and it has wood instead of plastic. Other than that can't think of a single good reason to own one. Just get the urge every time I see one.
Old May 11, 2018, 06:56 PM   #8
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
My desire for one is fueled by history, the straight walled case which makes reloading easier, looks like fun and it has wood instead of plastic. Other than that can't think of a single good reason to own one. Just get the urge every time I see one.
I know the feeling.
Old May 11, 2018, 06:57 PM   #9
Targa

Quote:
I never saw a $700 GI gun
X2
Old May 11, 2018, 07:06 PM   #10
Model12Win

The new Inlands are incredible. I'd buy one.
Old May 11, 2018, 07:14 PM   #11
fourbore

I read that Inland and AO were using the same parts. They dont look the same. I dont know who or what to believe. My guess, is that Inland is doing a better job with fit an finish even if they source the same parts. I wish I know for certain if it all cosmetic or are they a little better under the hood.
Old May 12, 2018, 06:06 AM   #12
moosemike

I've seen an $850 original Winchester in great shape. It just came home with me the other day. Now it was the deal of a lifetime for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32231565_2093250234281731_8905905272858345472_n.jpg (67.8 KB, 34 views)
Old May 12, 2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Dane17

I got a better price by calling them up on the phone. I would say well worth it.

I had farted around with a surplus one I could never get to work before Fulton armory.
Old May 12, 2018, 05:19 PM   #14
Brutus

I hate to ask Dane17 but how much of a better price?
Old May 12, 2018, 06:07 PM   #15
agtman

Quote:
I got a better price by calling them up on the phone. I would say well worth it. I had farted around with a surplus one I could never get to work before Fulton armory.
Best prices I've seen on F.A.'s rifles - whether M1 carbines or others - is when they show up on Commercial Row at Camp Perry in Ohio during the Nat'l Pistol & Rifle Matches. They'll be there this year in July.

Some years ago I bought one of their 'Legacy' ARs there. Legacys are models built to look like what are now called 'Retro' ARs - in the Legacy's case it's supposed to appear to be a "circa 1965 M-16," but semi. It was close enough for me. Anyway, I bought it in the last days of the Matches. It was priced lower than shown on-line, plus I got the benefit of no tax and no shipping. Works for me.

During the Matches, F.A. will also display various grades of Garands for sale, including their version of a 'Tanker' (18") M1, as well as M1 Carbines ... all of them ready to go OTD.

Food for thought for the price-conscious.