The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Burch

Log data

Where can one find printable blank log data sheets. I need to keep records of my reloading and bullet casting info. When I’m testing new powders or primers etc. I’m finding myself remembering a time when I tried this stuff before but can’t remember the details. I think they call that CRS
Old March 21, 2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Most folks use Excel anymore. You can Google "cartridge load data logs" and get a bunch of free sources. Lyman sells one.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 21, 2018, 08:06 PM   #3
BigJimP

I've used Xcel in the past...but a few yrs ago ...I started using a divided journal...its a heavy 6 ring binder that had heavier lined paper in it ...that I can divide with tabs.

I keep tabs for each caliber...9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, .357 mag..etc.../ ...because I hand write notes in it -- it stays on my gun cleaning bench so its handy and I don't need to go upstairs on computer to update a spreadsheet ..
Old March 21, 2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Burch

I like the binder idea.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:09 PM   #5
rclark

LibreOffice works just as well as Excel too. No need to 'buy' a program/suite. I use a simple notebook for the raw data at the range. Load into Calc at home for final number generation.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Burch

I need just a simple log sheet with good headings that I can right my info on and put in a binder. I found one at Beartooth Bullets but still lookin. Just trying to keep it simple.
Old March 22, 2018, 05:36 AM   #7
Road_Clam

+1 for Excel. I have an extensive database of over 1000 tested loads spanning 14 different calibers of handgun , rifle and recently added is BP muzzleloaders. Excel is an outstanding and quick resource to search, sort and view my past data. Excel is a great and quick tool for combating "CRS".
Old March 22, 2018, 06:32 AM   #8
Burch

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one out there suffering with the dreaded CRS. lol
Old March 22, 2018, 07:14 PM   #9
lordmorgul

I use Microsoft OneNote on my phone. It means I get to view, search, edit anywhere.

I copy in my chrono data when I use it too, direct from the Caldwell app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old March 22, 2018, 10:04 PM   #10
old roper

This is MTM binder reloading log. You get log and some targets.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/mtm-han...-included.html I think Midway has MTM log
NRA Life Member
Old March 23, 2018, 04:07 PM   #11
Reloadron

Quote:
Where can one find printable blank log data sheets. I need to keep records of my reloading and bullet casting info. When I’m testing new powders or primers etc. I’m finding myself remembering a time when I tried this stuff before but can’t remember the details. I think they call that CRS

I like the binder idea.
For what it is worth while many people use Excel for what you want to do there is plenty of good and free software out there. Just as an example Apache OpenOffice which is a free download and will work fine for creating log sheets. While you can create spread sheets all you really need is a text document in a landscape layout and add a table to it. The table will have columns and rows. You can easily tweak and peak to your taste.

Since you like the idea of a binder print your forms on a heavy card stock and use a three hole punch so the cards can be placed in a three ring binder of your liking. All you need is a cheap punch, nothing fancy. Then get some Index Tabs to divide your binder.

You can divide the binder by caliber or whatever you choose. I used some Amazon links but any of this stuff can be found in any office supply store such as Office Depot or similar. The nice part about rolling your own is you can choose what information you want in a table or spread sheet.

Ron
Old March 23, 2018, 06:37 PM   #12
Burch

That’s exactly what I’m looking for
Old March 23, 2018, 07:14 PM   #13
Reloadron

Well there you go. Now if you want to get fancy you can also use free software from Avery Design Pro the label people to make your own labels for hand loads. The below image is mine and the link for the image is to a domain which is also mine.

I "think" the label was for a 3" X 3" label. Anyway they are easy to make. The background image is also mine and something I added. An image can be worked up in Microsoft Paint which is included with the Windows operating systems or using any available free photo-shop type software.

Ron
Old March 24, 2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Burch

I’ll use that if it’s ok with you. It’s perfect for what I want.
Old March 24, 2018, 02:53 PM   #15
Brutus

competition electronics chronograph phone app generates spread sheets automatically.
Old March 24, 2018, 04:36 PM   #16
Reloadron

You are welcome to the image. I would post the Avery .zdf file but just discovered Windows 10 does not support the help files in Avery Design Pro. If you need anything just let me know.

Ron