The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
oncall

Critique This 9mm Load

I have been loading 115gr FMJ's with 4.3gr of 231, & Federal primers.

They seem OK not a big bang and the cases are not sailing into the other booth when they are ejected.

Comments & criticisms please.
Old April 3, 2009, 07:39 PM   #2
That'll Do

Well, first of all, does the load work for you and your gun? Is the accuracy acceptable to you? If so, congratulations, you've found a great target load.

I recently found a nice target load for my CZ75 with a 124gr plated RN and Power Pistol (which is a great powder for 9mm, IMO).

Finding a load that shoots better than you do is a great feeling.
Old April 3, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
oncall

I think I can do better. My next batch of bullets is 124gr FMJ so I need to change things up anyway.
Old April 3, 2009, 10:21 PM   #4
McClintock

Have you chrono'd these loads? If so, how fast are they? What do you shoot them out of?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is if it cycles the action, is reasonably accurate (your definition of reasonable, of course), I'd stick with it. I've loaded 124 gr. bullets with 4.0 grains of 231 and they went downrange at an average of 1050 fps. For a target load, if it groups well, I would go with it. If it doesn't matter to you how fast the bullet goes through the paper target... steel targets, on the other hand, may require a little more velocity.

Of course, half the fun is experimenting with different loads.

Have fun!