The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 14, 2021, 01:56 PM   #1
TXAZ

"Wet Suppressor"

I've read several articles on 'wet suppressors', adding a few cc's of water or wire pulling gel can dramatically reduce the sound out of a suppressor.
I have a QDL suppressor for my M107A1 and would love to reduce the report substantially.

Has anyone here who has a suppressor actually tried adding a few cc's of water or gel to their can? If so, what were the results?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 14, 2021, 05:51 PM   #2
Scorch

Not water or gel. Light machine oil? Yes, it works. Substantial reduction? Don't know, don't have a dB meter.
Old June 15, 2021, 08:45 AM   #3
zukiphile

Quote:
Light machine oil? Yes, it works.
The pressure within a suppressor is so slight that the oil doesn't turn the suppressor into a diesel cylinder?

I thought the idea of moisture in a suppressor that that some of the energy that manifests in heat is taken up in evaporating the water.

Last edited by zukiphile; June 15, 2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old June 15, 2021, 01:45 PM   #4
TXAZ

Thanks for the feedback, ...
Putting any combustible in a suppressor is asking for trouble, and I'm pretty sure the pressures can be substantial, 2-3 KPSI as noted in the article below, where dieseling / combustion is likely a bad hair day recipe.
I also agree that adding moisture in the form of sprayed in water or gel form absorbs substantial heat (heat of vaporization), and expect there's an sweetspot.

Old June 15, 2021, 03:41 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Do you have to wash out your wet suppressor or does the additive itself clean the innards?
Old June 15, 2021, 04:49 PM   #6
GarrettJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
I've read several articles on 'wet suppressors', adding a few cc's of water or wire pulling gel can dramatically reduce the sound out of a suppressor.
I have a QDL suppressor for my M107A1 and would love to reduce the report substantially.
DO NOT ADD ANY FLUID TO YOUR RIFLE SUPPRESSOR!!

You can get a substantial sound reduction by adding some fluid to a pistol-caliber suppressor. The energy from the burning gasses heats and vaporizes (boils) some of the liquid. This robs energy from the gas, reducing the energy available to make sound.

The reaction in a can from a low pressure / low volume pistol can makes a noticeable difference. However, the much higher gas pressures and gas volume generated by rifle cartridges has resulted in damaged suppressors. I can only imagine what the much greater gas volume of a .50 BMG would do if you try to shoot your can wet.

If in doubt, check with the suppressor manufacturer. But I would expect you to trash your .50 cal can in short order if you were to try shooting it wet.
Old June 16, 2021, 12:12 PM   #7
TXAZ

Realizing Garrett had a good idea (thanks), I checked with Barrett this morning and received a reply back in less than 1 hour:

"We do NOT recommend introducing any foreign substance into the suppressor. Foreign substances can lead to flight deviations of the bullet and can cause baffle strikes in your suppressor. Also, if you were to forget that this substance was in the suppressor and tilted the gun up you may end up with a "semi barrel obstruction" from the substance getting poured down the barrel. This would have a high probability for a flight deviation and could damage the gun and or the suppressor."

Old June 16, 2021, 03:26 PM   #8
ghbucky

Well, now you HAVE to do it and post the results on Youtube.
Old June 17, 2021, 12:08 AM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
Well, now you HAVE to do it and post the results on Youtube.
Here, I'll hold your beer.
Old June 17, 2021, 12:13 AM   #10
TXAZ

Dear ghbucky
Your are cordially invited be the wet test pilot. Scorch has agreed to hold your beer, and 2 local news Channels are bidding for exclusive video rights.
Best regards
TXAZ

Old June 17, 2021, 07:06 AM   #11
Double K

First round pop is the result of there being oxygen in the suppressor, I've heard of people spraying co2 into the barrel from the breech end, in a 22 a blank can be fired first before regular ammunition which is very effective.
For whatever reason Silencerco suppressors have very little to no first round pop depending on model.
Old June 17, 2021, 05:45 PM   #12
ghbucky

Quote:
Dear ghbucky
Your are cordially invited be the wet test pilot. Scorch has agreed to hold your beer, and 2 local news Channels are bidding for exclusive video rights.
Best regards
TXAZ
Somehow this went off the rails. I was supposed to be watching TXAZ blow up his can and instead now I gotta do it AND provide beer!?
Old June 18, 2021, 11:00 PM   #13
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky View Post
Somehow this went off the rails. I was supposed to be watching TXAZ blow up his can and instead now I gotta do it AND provide beer!?
Yessir!
Scorch is holding the beer (and bets), and Channel 4 won the broadcast right.
Please be here 1/2 hour early so the paramedics can get baseline vitals, the lawyers get your John Hancock on the contract and liability waver, and Channel 4 can ask you some questions while you have all your body parts connected.

Old August 13, 2021, 05:52 PM   #14
BornFighting88

Used a "wet" can one time on a .22lr. Big fan. Factory standard velocity ammo, too. Had 0000 steel wool in the outer baffles packed with white lithium grease. It sucked up all the expanding gas, didn't ignite, but was completely saturated with burnt powder and gas residue. Had to take it apart, stuff new packed wool in there, but other than that it was great. I don't know about bigger calibers, but that was just the bees knees. I have heard of water filled ones for .45 Auto. Steamed off the water after a magazine and had to be topped off. But for a quick and dirty job of someone like 007, would be great. Long day at the range??? Bring a garden hose, too.