The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 15, 2022, 12:07 PM   #1
chadio

Ruger 10/22 (finally, one for me)

I fell for the Ruger 10/22 the first time I fired one. This was around 1993, visiting my dad. Two of them have slipped through my hands for various reasons....

Ok, enough is enough... I have in the last 10 years or so, envisioned a very 'plain jane' 10/22 with Tech Sights peep sights, as the one, and only, modification. The rifle, model 1103, is now at my FFL. Sign papers Tuesday.

It is my understanding that the hardwood stock is no longer walnut, it is now birch. Also, the barrel band and trigger guard are now polymer. Keep in mind, I have not yet seen or held the rifle, I just know the model number I bought and I know a few things have changed over the years....

Dad has one, son has one, brother has one, and soon I will has one
Old May 15, 2022, 01:18 PM   #2
jmr40

Quote:
hardwood stock is no longer walnut, it is now birch.
You can still get walnut, and they don't cost much more than the standard rifle. Around $20. And they only used walnut on the standard models for 1-2 years at the beginning. I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sport...eets/1102.html

Everyone should have a 10/22, but I'd highly recommend skipping over the standard model and going straight to one of the Sporter versions. They don't cost much more, but are a much nicer rifle with stocks designed to fit adults.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

I particularly like this one.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sport...ets/31167.html

The plastic barrel band and trigger group are an improvement over cast aluminum. The plastic is tougher.

Winston Churchill
Old May 15, 2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Pahoo

They are "still" that good !!!

Quote:
I just know the model number I bought and I know a few things have changed over the years..
I am a Ruger fan and have seen numberous changes throughout the 10/22 history. Some of the changes are valid upgrades and others are definitely not. If you stumble over and older used one, you will be better off than the latest issue. Having said that, they are still that good. I have lost track of how many upgrades; I have done on these. There is nothing wrong with a Birch stock the plastic parts have not yet proven their logevity. The barrel band really serves no purpose but does have cosmetic appeal. I have four Grandsons and have gifted them all, 10/22 when they started hunting. The 10/22 is the only rifle, that I am aware of, that has an upgrade on "every" component. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 15, 2022, 04:43 PM   #4
chadio

Thanks for the input, I guess that I didn't emphasize the fact that I have already bought one (the 1103) and it is sitting at my FFL waiting for me. Too late to buy the sporter, too late to buy an older one.

My new 1103 will have to be good enough...

My son's 10/22 has a Butler Creek polymer stock, and he also has an original walnut stock in the box in perfect condition.... might be able to talk him out of it.
Old May 16, 2022, 06:51 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations, and shoot it in good health. I've had mine for about 40 years and it's one of my all-time favorite guns. Death to soup cans!
Old May 16, 2022, 12:41 PM   #6
Adventurer 2

I know you say your only change is going to be the Tech Sights --
I own a 10/22 from the 90s and one from 00s. Recently, purchased a Bergara 10/22 clone (BMR). The Bergara has the bolt release whereby you pull back on the bolt release and it releases the bolt -- didn't think I needed this on my 10/22s but after having it on one, I needed it for all. Bought the $10 replacement for one and then ground the other bolt release down to look like the $10 part -- IF you make a second update to your 10/22 - make it the auto-bolt release.
Old May 16, 2022, 09:33 PM   #7
kymasabe

I bought my 10/22 carbine brand new at Walmart 16 years ago. I added an extended mag release, a yellow bolt buffer and a PowerCustom hammer and the old girl is far more accurate that she deserves to be, given the price I paid and my budget upgrades. Earned my Rifleman patch at an Appleseed Shoot with that gun.
They're great little rifles.
Old May 17, 2022, 05:04 PM   #8
gwpercle

A lot of shooter's inheriting their dad's walnut stocked 10/22's ...
They go Tactical with a tricked out plastic stock and the old Walnut stock gets put up for sale on the Ebay . There are two now going for $27.00 and $50.00 .
Used Walnut beats new plastic seven ways to Sunday !
You can even find a walnut "sporter " 10/22 stock ...just keep a eye on the sales ...
walnut stocks pop up all the time .

Williams Gun Sights still make an after market "Peep Sight" for the 10/22
no gunsmithing easy mounting and just the neatest peep sight you could ask for . I mounted one on my 1973 10/22 abot 1985 and have used it ever since .
Can shoot almost as well with the peep as with a scope .
Sell for $45.00 and you get a front and rear sight ...I got the gold bead front but a fiber-optic front is also available ... neat little sight !
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; May 17, 2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old May 18, 2022, 05:32 PM   #9
Scorch

Like many others on here, I have had a 10/22 of some sort for the past 40 years. Carbines and rifles, loved them all. I typically accurize them and then somebody loves the way they shoot and I sell them, but this last one I bought has a nicely figured walnut stock, so it will more than likely stick around. Since I'm 65 now, this will probably be my last one, I'll just keep it around for those times I need some nitrocellulose therapy.
Old May 18, 2022, 05:47 PM   #10
BornFighting88

I have a 10/22 that I kept factory bone stock for years. Only putting a scope up top and a banana clip down below.

About 7 years ago I got into the aftermarket game and delved into the black hole that is Brownell's and the after market parts of the 10/22. One could easily go insane spending the time I did looking and perusing.

I am thinking about getting another one for my newborn daughter to teach her when she gets of age. I want to get one of those "International" stocks that are full length. I just have a thing for the full length stock... Kind of like I do for pretty red heads (no flak please =-) ).

Just so much fun and worth every penny.
Old May 23, 2022, 03:13 PM   #11
chadio

Got to inspect the rifle / verify serial # etc. @ ffl ....

Simple, elegant, consistent finish on the metal parts, and the birch stock has beautiful grain!! I'll have to sit it side by side with the walnut, and compare notes with my son ... might trade stocks or barrel bands ...

Should be able to pick it up in a week.

The 'auto bolt release' mod is interesting. May end up doing that. Can't wait to sight in and plink!!!
Old May 23, 2022, 07:37 PM   #12
BornFighting88

I have a silver finish extended mag release if you are interested, $10 plus shipping USPS MO. PM me for details if interested.
Old May 24, 2022, 08:30 AM   #13
stinkeypete

I love the 10/22 as well. The website RimfireCentral will have specific information you might want.

It sounds to me that you might want to build a “sleeper.” That is, a rifle that looks stock but has been tuned and polished.

I found that the BTX trigger (I paid $50) was a real value to add. They may be rare now, but don’t worry- there are fellows who take your trigger assembly and give it a nice trigger job for that level of money or less. Match grade triggers… cost much more.

Then I found that free-floating my carbine barrel (and carbine band) and installing a $12.00 aluminum post improved accuracy. More importantly, my point of aim is much more stable after reassembly after cleaning.

While in there, I drilled the receiver so I can clean from the breech without removing the barrel. I wrote this up on a thread over at that other site. My scope rail.. the receiver/rail interface was lapped, then loctite and screwed. It won’t come loose! And a 4x Simmons scope is what I put on mine. Easy, bright, cheap, strong- perfect!

The best thing is that you’d have to disassemble the rifle and know intimately what a stock rifle was to know I have changed things. It just looks like a nice 10/22.

It’s all too easy to go crazy with add-on parts.

I pulled my 10/22 out of the safe. “Golly, this thing looks sort of nice!”

Then I pulled my CZ American out. “Oh, it makes my 10/22 look like a 2x4.”

Still, I love my 20/22.

Last edited by stinkeypete; May 24, 2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:10 AM   #14
Pahoo

Bang for your buck

Quote:
The 'auto bolt release' mod is interesting.
I have often commented that I do not understand why Ruger doesn't issue this feature as well as a Poly Buffer instead of the steel Bolt Stop. If you are handy with tools, you can modify the existing bolt release to make it an auto release. I use a chain saw file. As for the Poly buffer, you can make one out of a nylon/plastic screw. I routinely do these mods but did buy about 20-buffers and they cost me about $3.00 each. .......

Any benefit on mods you purchase is proportional to performance. An Auto bolt release costs you noting but time. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old May 24, 2022, 11:39 AM   #15
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I have often commented that I do not understand why Ruger doesn't issue this feature
.. probably because it's not necessary or desired, and most owners would agree. For those that feel it is, then as you say, it's a simple modification.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:39 PM   #16
Pahoo

Perhaps ???

Quote:
.. probably because it's not necessary or desired,
While others and perhaps even most manufactures have these as a standard feature; you are correct that it is not necessary and perhaps "some" might not desire them. .....

I feel that there might be a safety/liability issue. It's the only thing that even begins to make, any sense. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old May 25, 2022, 12:31 PM   #17
hub1home

I bought my first 10/22 in about 1977. The stock is birch.
Old May 25, 2022, 12:58 PM   #18
gwpercle

I bought my standard 10/22 in 1975 it came with a very nicely figured walnut stock .
I'm not sure what year Ruger stopped using walnut but I'm glade I got one .

I'm still seeing used walnut stocks on E-bay ... they pop up often .

Gary